“Excellent service & location”

Hotel Amira Istanbul
Ranked #3 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our taxi had just pulled up when the bellman came to collect our luggage. Tina was at the desk welcoming us & taking care of our check in. She asked if we had time for a drink...said she'd like to buy us one & tell us about the city since it was our first trip to Istanbul. We went downstairs to the restaurant area & had a beer. Tina spread the map out on the table & showed us how close we were to all the "main attractions" (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace) & highlighted walking directions on the maps. She asked what type of food we'd like to eat & suggested restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We told her we planned on taking the full Bosporus cruise & she said the short cruise would be sufficient & would give us more time to see other parts of the city. All of her suggestions seemed tailored to our personal preferences, not just a general overview. After showing us to our rooms where our luggage had been delivered, Tina took us to the roof top terrace with a great view. We enjoyed taking photos from there & had a beer up there the next afternoon as the weather was pleasant. Our room was large, clean & comfortable with a small balcony. Bath had a jacuzzi tub & shower. Coffee, tea, & complimentary water were in the room. Afternoon tea had all kinds of treats. Breakfast was incredible...I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Istanbul. Thanks Tina & the rest of the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor. We closed our balcony doors when we went to bed because we could hear...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BlastOff
There are newer reviews for Hotel Amira Istanbul

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Like so many others I chose Hotel Amira based on TripAdvisor reviews, and I was not disappointed. This hotel is all about genuinely friendly staff and service, with some nice extra touches like complimentary afternoon tea with a generous selection of cakes and sandwiches. They even brought me a complimentary cup of tea while I was enjoying the sunset from the roof terrace. The roof terrace was one of my favourite spots to relax. I found my room a bit small (but that's compared to rooms I had in much larger hotels), so I went up to the roof terrace to read or take an afternoon nap. My room was neat and tidy, the bed was very comfortable, there was a TV and tea and coffee making facilities plus a complimentary bottle of water every day. The bathroom was also on the small side as was the shower cabinet which had not one but two shower heads. Bathroom amenities were ample, even a loofer was supplied. Breakfast was incredible, there was a huge selection of tasty treats including some Turkish delicacies. The only pity was that it didn't start until 7.30, so if you had a tour pick-up at 8.10 you couldn't really linger over breakfast. The breakfast room also contained a free-of-charge computer terminal, otherwise there was free WiFi throughout the hotel. The hotel's location is ideal if you want to visit the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, they are all within walking distance, it's about five minutes to the Blue Mosque and another 10 minutes from there to Topkapi. The Grand Bazaar is not all that far away, either, if you want to take a tram there (or anywhere else), the hotel will sell you tokens, so that you won't have to try to obtain these yourself. If you plan to travel a lot by public transport consider buying an Istanbul Card. If you plan to catch a cab be extremely wary, try to find out beforehand how much approximately it will cost and never leave your eyes off the driver's hands when you pay your fare, otherwise he might produce a note of lesser value and claim that this is what you gave him. All with a smile, of course. To sum up, if you are going to Istanbul to see its main sights in the old part of the city you won't find much better than Hotel Amira. After a day's sightseeing you will feel like coming home.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank lutzy
Reviewed November 13, 2013

It is not very often that you come across a hotel in any part of the world that is able to tick so many boxes. I stayed at the Amira for four nights, part of a tour group, and the welcome we received along with the service was faultless throughout our stay. From the moment we arrived till the moment we left we were made to feel that we were most welcome and nothing was to much trouble.

Without exception the staff were courteous and friendly, offering assistance and advice no matter what the request. A special mention for Karin, Tina, AJ, Emre and Fatih who went out of their way to make our stay even more enjoyable.

Our room was spotless and very comfortable. Modern furnishings and a lovely bath/Jacuzzi. Complementary bottle of drinking water each day and a lovely array of complementary toiletries. All presented to the highest standard.

Breakfast was also very good. A healthy selection of fresh fruits, yoghurts, breads and cereal. The roof top terrace provided great views out towards the Bosporus and looking in the other direction the Blue Mosque is clearly visible. I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again, in fact I would welcome the opportunity.

Room Tip: Istanbul is a very noisy city so the higher up the better and if you have a room towards the back of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Alancohen
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Amira is a great hotel. The location is central yet you can get a peaceful night's sleep. The rooms are great with an interesting design. We had the junior suite and the extra space was welcome. The balcony was a nice touch.
Breakfast was the best we'd had in a while. It wasn't that the selection was huge, but that everything was fresh and delicious. The afternoon tea was basic with rich turkish tea, and turkish bagel-like pastry sandwiches (had the name memorized but can't remember it now). I really wish they offered 24 hour room service (even snacks or cold dishes) as had a hectic time trying to find something to eat late at night. This is very minor though.
The team was great, very helpful and friendly. They drew us several maps and recommended restaurants that we could try. We left Istanbul for a few days and arranged to leave our bags with them on our last day so we could get a chance to explore as our flight was late at night. They greeted us on our return like old friends.
I would really like to go back !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gentle Traveler I
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Simply one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
The position is great in the old city, walking with 5 mins to the blue mosque
Rooms are clean and bright and well serviced, but the most outstanding part is the truly outstanding service and friendliness of the staff, just nothing is a problem for them.
I have stayed in so many good hotels in the world, but for friendly kind caring staff this beats them all.
Than you Amira

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I can not rave enough about this hotel. I was travelling alone and it was my first time in Istanbul. I was picked up from the airport and greeted by Emre and his staff who treated me like one of the family through out my stay in Istanbul. I had a huge room with a bath/spa and my own terrace and outdoor setting with views over the Marman Sea. The rooftop was a wonderful place to relax, have a drink and take in the amazing views. There was a good selection at breakfast and afternoon tea was delightful. The meet and greet apon arrival, on the rooftop terrace, with Emre was great to get your bearings and work out what to see and do. Emre booked a dinner/dance cruise on the Boshporus on my first night which I enjoyed,more than expected. He also recommended a great Restaurant "The Mostra" on my last night. Well done Emre! The Hotel Amira is perfectly located with in walking distance to all parts of the old city. This is small top class hotel with all you could want, you will love it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Renata D
Reviewed November 10, 2013

There are so many good and excellent reviews for this hotel on here,I thought it couldn't be true, but it was.
I emailed in advance and was given great info on how to get from the airport to the hotel, all very easy on public transport.
Found the place and got checked in..... Got the highlights of Istanbul talk and then went to find my room.
For a single it was surprisingly large....plenty of space, lots of lighting, nice tea/coffee options.
Bed was comfy, and room good all round.
Bathroom has large shower that had good pressure and constant hot water no matter what time.
I'm a very early riser, and was in the fitness room at 5 am most mornings, it was always clean, tidy, supplied with fresh towels and extra bottles of complimentary water for your use.
Breakfast had a huge range,I think I had something different every morning, and still lots I didn't try...Good choice, plenty of it.
The complimentary afternoon tea was also plentiful, and a nice little touch (and welcome relief for my weary feet)
Centrally located I thought,I walked everywhere from here....would recommend wholeheartedly, and if I return wouldn't stay anywhere else.

One minor flaw (which in all fairness I kept forgetting to mention to the staff, so prob could have been sorted and probably just isn't hotel policy over there) I would have liked the option to do my bit for the planet and conserve water and use my towels more than once, but even when I hung them up, fresh ones were brought in.....lovely soft fresh ones at that.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo