“A Gem! Service and Quality with the personal touch”

Hotel Amira Istanbul
Ranked #2 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Wellington, Florida
“A Gem! Service and Quality with the personal touch”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just completed 9 nights at the Amira. From the start, the entire staff was pleasant and went out of their way to be accommodating and helpful in any way possible. From questions about the area to last-minute laundry to streetcar tokens they made sure we had what we needed. The initial sit-down with wine and a thorough walk-through of the map of the area was wonderful in getting us acclimated to the area.

Our first room had just gone through significant insulation upgrade and we found it to be rather warm for our liking. They quickly suggested we move to a different room which made a big difference. We tend to like a cooler room which was challenging because, due to the cooler weather during our stay, the A/C is turned off at night at the hotel (and numerous others in the area). It was only a real issue for us when the heat was turned on because you get the heat even if you just want to leave the fan running for circulation. Other than that, the rooms were comfortable for 2 and the bathrooms were small but very functional.

One BIG advantage we had here over people at other nearby hotels was that we did *not* hear the early morning call-to-prayer blasted from the nearby minarets. I can not stress how nice this was as it helped ensure uninterrupted sleep.

The breakfast and tea were both delightful. The foods were rotated around enough during our stay to keep the variety interesting. We did not eat dinner there but other guests commented on how much they enjoyed it.

The mix of guests was interesting. Not many families with small kids that we encountered but a mix of couples/groups from mid-20's up to their 70's or so. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves suggesting that the services are sensitive to all age groups.

Bravo, Amira! You really helped to make our first trip to Istanbul a comfortable and enjoyable one.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel overlook a busy square and cab stand. We never found it to be a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Whoever gave this Hotel a bad review is NUTS! We have stayed at some of the best 5 star Hotels in Europe, Asia and the United States and for a boutique hotel this rates as one of the best. The staff was excellent and the location can't be beat. The service was exceptionally warm and we were immediately made to feel at home. Their breakfast was a lovely assortment of local cuisine and at the end of the day, the hotel offers high tea and a variety of sweets. Great location, warm staff, nice room and good food, what else would you want!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have been thrilled with the level of service. From a warm welcome and informative overview of the city and area by AJ, to the front desk man who sent the porter to the grocery store to look for vanilla ice cream for our son, this hotel has exceeded all expectations. The breakfast is generous, the rooms clean and spacious. The location is excellent. I will recommend this to anyone travelling to Istanbul. Note the hotel suggestions on tours and to-dos have all matched descriptions. As well, the hotel provides tokens for the tram (billed to room) which makes getting around the city much faster and a bit easier on the feet.

Room Tip: Family room is two rooms on the corner that have their own hallway/door, thus you can close hallway...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I visited the hotel Amira in the last week of February. The hotel is a small one with a great location within easy walking distance of all the major sites in the Old Town.
What makes this hotel exceptional is the service. All the staff are very accomodating and friendly. Their English is very good and no request is too much for them. Sim and Aziz were particularly helpful. I would stay here again without hesitation. The breakfasts are also very good.

mumbai
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in hotel Amira for one day. the staff are very helpful. Service by the lady at the reception called Tina was fantastic. not many hotels would make you feel wanted as much as this place does. welcome drink came with a choice . asked for turkish coffee. Coffee arrived with one piece of turkish delight. so when I asked if they could give me two more, they sent me a full bowl of the sweet as gift. I had to check out and leave for airport at 4 PM. requested me if I could stay back for 15 more mins and have the complementary tea and eats at 4 P.M. they really care. And to add to the fun, the place is near all the sights at sultanahmet. The breakfast at the hotel is pleasing to the eye and the palette.

Room Tip: the taxis from the airport costs lot lesser than the price for airport pick up. use them. dont miss...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kumarraja
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 7 nights in Istanbul at Hotel Amira. The hotel was spotlessly clean, very nice, our room was spacious, and the breakfast was outstanding, but what really stood out was the service. I travel a lot, and have stayed in many great hotels, but the employees at Hotel Amira provided the best service I've ever experienced at any hotel, by a long shot. I never write reviews, but the people there were so incredible it would be an injustice not to do so in this case.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, two of the employees, Tina and Aziz, brought us tea, Turkish delights, a map, and showed us all sorts of great places to visit, recommended restaurants, etc. We had already been to Istanbul for a week previously, and they gave us enough recommendations to keep us busy without repeating things we had seen on our first trip. For the rest of our stay, they were always available to give us advice.

During our trip I purchased a handmade Turkish string instrument, and a day later I thought I might have been ripped off. I was unable to communicate in detail with the shop employees as they didn't speak much English, so I asked the hotel manager, Arthur, if he could call the shop for me, and ask a few questions. He not only did that, but after talking to the shop owner on the phone he had one of the hotel employees, Burak, go with me in a taxi to the shop, to translate. It turned out there was a misunderstanding on my part, and I had not been ripped off at all. Burak spent an hour and a half helping me, and was incredible.

I wish I remembered all the employees names, because they were all equally outstanding.

In addition to the service, the breakfast and "afternoon tea" were unbeatable. Breakfast included a large spread of fresh, high quality western and Turkish options. And "afternoon tea" is an understatement. Each day they not only offered free tea or Turkish coffee, but also 4 or 5 different Turkish sweets along with little sandwiches and bread...from 4-6PM.

If you're trying to decide which hotel to stay in, I very highly recommend Hotel Amira. Next time we visit Istanbul, we will most definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmaxmoritz
California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This Hotel was everything everybody is raving about. Breakfast was so yummy! The staff is amazing. At check-in, they offer a free cocktail - go with the Amira. They sit with you and plan your itinerary and answer any questions you have, give you maps, etc. They have metro tokens at cost at the front desk so you don't have to worry about buying them. Dinner on the roof was great. Free tea in the afternoon. There is no noticeable hill and I am as lazy as they come! A bit more than we usually spend but worth it. We got it late at night, very tired but were able to figure out how to walk there from the metro. Felt long the first time, exhausted, with luggage, lost, at night but it was 5 minutes all of the other times. All tours were on time and very good. Comfortable bed and room. Annoying European thing where you have to have a key in the light switch to make the lights work so get an extra key for when a member goes out and one stays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple