“Stay Away!”

Ranked #4 of 134 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suleymaniye Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath that continues to operate today. The building, commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Turkish architect Mimar Sinan, was built in 1557. It features dramatic archways and domes and is decorated with elaborate marble inlay. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where men and women bathe together. 40 Euro per person.The entire hamam experience will last between 60-90 minutes.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

They take 70 Euros per couple, for almost 20 minutes sauna, 5 minutes washing you and 5 minutes massage. And that's all!!! You 'd better take your own towels and/or sleepers with you.
They don' t even treat you a cup of tea!
Last but not least. WATCH YOUR WIVES AND DAUGHTERS! There are some horny maseurs who touch their GENITAL when they touch a young pretty woman. My wife told me after we left from there so i didn't call the police and i regret it.

8  Thank Thanasis V
There are newer reviews for Suleymaniye Hamami

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Another great recommendation by our hotel. We wanted a place where my wife and I could go together as the traditional separation didn't appeal to us as much. I think this place is only tourists and only couples. We went during the day so it wasn't very crowded. There's several reviews that will explain the whole process, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. We paid $45 each which didn't seem like that much to us for the experience. I think overall it was a great value. It was cold outside so the hot stone was so nice. I would have liked slightly less stone/sweating time, but just when we thought we couldn't take anymore our masseuse guys got us to start the next phase of the experience. The cold water and the cleaning was very interesting, but very refreshing. I'm glad we did the bath and I'd recommend highly to other tourists. Definitely a good first experience.

1  Thank Brian1111
Reviewed February 24, 2013

After being lured there by our hotel front desk guy, probably cousins, or getting a kickback, with the promise of free van transportation, the bath wasn't too bad. However, one of our party was on crutches, so walking backwas rediculouslyout of the question. When we asked to use their phone to call our hotel to clarify, the guy behind the desk refused Wouldn't let us use his phone. Then wouldn't call the hotel himself OR even call us a taxi! I couldn't believe it! Only after I started raising my voice so the rest of the patrons could hear that they were refusing a woman on crutches to call a taxi di they relent and call our hotel! Please go to one of the other several Turkish Baths in Istanbul.

9  Thank AJazzGuy
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I can imagine, that everything was alike a few centuries ago. Small, beautiful, Sinai. Perfect experience.

1  Thank Hanna S
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went to this hamam because its made for couples.They don't have separate rooms for men and women.It was build by Sinan,a famous Turkish arhitect and its more that 400 years old. Staff was really nice, they provided us with details of the routine.After you change and leave your stuff in a locked cabin, you go and sit on hot marble table in the middle of room.Around there are four spaces where masseurs rub your skin,and soap you.After soaping there is a brief masage.Don't expect any long and detailed masage,it was like on production line, i would prefer a longer one. It was a little bit expensive (35eur) ,but an excellent choice if your body is tired from the long walks around Istanbul.

3  Thank Luka D