“good service and very expensive price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Akbiyik Balik Evi

Akbiyik Balik Evi
Ranked #6,888 of 13,399 Restaurants in Istanbul
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Baku, Azerbaijan
“good service and very expensive price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been there with my family. They have good service and fishs. But believe me better not go there. I will never go to this restaurant again. They usually fool all their clients. I have been in Turkey a lot. They were my worst experience which I ever had. They have crazy prices and fool a lot. And, you can't proof anything.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank LeylaYashar

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
“as many people said here. i hope you are not unlucky one like us ....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

we feel we have been retreated like a fool..... but we did take a lesson after we have paid a lots of money which we should not .... if you want to be experience that feeling , go to try ......

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank paulhotraveller
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I was Lucky”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Not having Internet access on the go, like most people here, I didn't research this restaurant before popping in on a whim. After reading the reviews, I realize how lucky I was to get out of there with a tab of only 40 TL for a mediocre dinner.

I, too, was served rolls and water that I assumed to be complimentary. (They weren't, as you'll soon see from all the reviewers below.) I was shown the array of starters and chose one (after being encouraged to take several), but I figured that it would show up on my check, so no surprise there. I was shown two sea bream, chose one to be grilled, but was encouraged to take two. I assumed that the price would be 20 TL as indicated on the menu. Here's where I got lucky: the price on my check was indeed 20 TL! The Japanese couple next to me wasn't so lucky. They were quoted a price of 175 TL for their fish. It was to the restaurant's credit that they quoted a price up front, but the gesture was meaningless since it was clear that the couple could not understand.

Here's when I started to realize that something was amiss: when the waiter brought butter for my bread and insisted that it was free. Why wouldn't it be? Clues two and three: the Japanese couple and a woman who bargained down the price of her fish before ordering. She only got as "low" as 100 TL.

My meal was only okay. The fish was decent, but the sides of potato and "salad" were awful. I didn't get my rice, as promised, but that was okay as I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could. Fortunately, I did so without taking a big hit to the purse.

1 Thank DadaCabaret
Canale Monterano, Italy
“Prawns et al”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

A memorable fish dinner at a reasonable price. Remember to book a table in advance as this is a very popular place. Second floor is a little more comfortable. The service was very professional.

Visited December 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Avoid this expensive trap”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were walking around our hotel, looking for the fish restaurant, when we were caught by some pushy guy, who advertised this place. There was a fish stand with fresh nice-looking fish on the ice in front of the restaurant. The menu that guy showed us looked ok, with prices about 20-30 TL for a fish dish. We decided to try it and went in.
The waiter brought us a bottle of water and poured it into glasses, then brought us bread. We assumed it to be complimentary, until we got the bill. Then another waiter brought us a tray with meze and continued to actively persuade me to take them until I agreed to take a couple.

The main surprise was when we got the bill. The price 20TL we saw in the menu was multiplied by the weight (and the menu did not mentioned it at all), so the fish dish became 105 TL. Then we were charged 6 TL for 2 glasses of warm tap water. The bread, which we did not ordered, was also in the bill.
We paid 180 TL (~ $100) for mediocre fish dish, 2 tiny meze and 2 glasses of awful house wine.

Avoid this place! The general rule I understood in Istanbul: if there is some person in front of the restaurant or shop, who aggressively tries to drag people in, shouting "hello, friend" - avoid such places.

• Visited January 2013