“Great location”
Review of Old City Hostel

Old City Hostel
Ranked #36 of 1,249 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The location of this hostel was perfect! Everything was within walking distance for the most part, or the tram stop is at the end of the street. The dorms were clean, and somewhat spacious. The breakfast is not as extensive as advertised on their website. The only negative thing I have to say about this hostel is the staff. I arranged the airport shuttle, which is not round trip, even though they confirmed it was a round trip price via email and then said there was a language barrier and they didn't understand the question. We waited at the airport at least 45 before the shuttle left, and then when we arrived at the hostel we were greeted with an interrogation of why we were arriving so late. The staff was rude, unfriendly, and somewhat disrespectful the whole time. Anytime we went to the reception area to ask someone a question, no one was there. We would then look all over the hostel and not be able to find anyone. I waited 15 minutes for someone to show up so I could get a towel! I recommend this hostel if you want a convenient place to stay, but the staff was horrible, and because of them I do not think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was one of the nicest hostel experiences I have had.

The staff are awesome! Really friendly and helpful with anything you need.

The dorms are clean and quiet.

It has a great location so you can see the city from there whether you want to walk around or take the trams.

The rooftop for breakfast has great views. It can get a little windy for breakfast but it's worth it.

I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect in the Old Istanbul (Sultan Ahmet). The dormitory is clean and bed very confortable. You have access for free to wifi, breakfast included with tea & coffee. A nice terrace with view on Blue mosque. The staff is always available to help and friendly. We do recommend this place for a nice trip in Istanbul!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I had a good times when i stayed at this hostel. The have a nice bed, clean room and clean toilet. I was staying at 8 bed mix dorm. The bed was comfortable, nice blanket and very clean. Wifi connection was also good. This hostel is very central to everywhere, many restaurant nearby, good foods around, cafes with beers, short walk to Blue Mosque, 5 min walking to Grand Bazaar.

The staff was also very helpful, they arrange my airport transfer with airport shuffle that pick me up at the hostel. Great service!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I have been here several times and have had a good experience every time. The owner and staff have been friendly and we were even allowed to stow our bags for a day during a layover. The place is clean and there's a rooftop seating area that's pretty neat. The location is great if you want to be Blue Mosque and Iya Sofia area. The only con is that there is late night dining that can be noisy on the street below but it does quiet down after midnight.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We easily found Old City as it connects to many main roads in the busy part of Old City Istanbul. The hostel was very clean and comfortable with a great sitting area where breakfast was served each day. Management was always available, with someone watching the front area at all times, so we felt safe.

The beds were hard but worth it for the price. Very clean bathroom cleaned daily and with endless hot water. Lockers were perfect to lock your belongings and everyone got a key to the room too.

As this was my first hostel experience, I have to say Old city was great! I was worried about security, comfort, etc, but all those fears were eased by Old Citys offerings. Management even had tea and make reccommendations for us, including directions, We were able to store our bags too after checkout and arrange airport transfer through the hostel. I would definitely come back and reccommend to all!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed in Old City Hostel for 3 nights and found it very good, in a convenient location, with a helpful staff. Although finding it in one of the alleys might be slightly confusing, all in all the hostel is easy to reach by tram. The important tourist attractions, such as Hagia Sofia, the Grand Bazaar or Galata Tower are all within a walking distance (or reachable by tram). Taksim square with all the bars is also quite easy to get to from the hostel. The administration speaks good English and they offer a shuttle service to the airport, in case your flight starts in the early morning hours.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo