“Good food, marginal service”

Changcheng Restaurant
Ranked #4,574 of 13,979 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a bit of a mixed review for me. I thought the food was very good, but my wife did not care for it. The food was very spicy, and there was no indication of scipe levels on the menu (my wife loves spicy food, and her food was too spicy even for her). The service was marginal at best, we sometimes had to ask for things more than once, and I never received the soup I ordered (at least it also did not show up on my bill). If you are OK with not getting the best service, and you like spicy food, this might be a good bet.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Wonderful views over iconic Istanbul from the roof top terrace. Even better I was alone and took time to take it all in. The food was secondary but I went for three Chinese dishes each of which was fine if not spectacular. There was the requested heat in the dishes which seems to be a problem elsewhere in Istanbul. It seems the place is set up for large tour groups so maybe I was lucky.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We discovered this restaurant when walking from our hotel to the Grand Bazaar. The dining room was full. The food was good and appetizing with plenty of flavor. The food was fresh and superb. The portions were large for an amazing price. I recommend this restaurant to anyone in Istanbul looking for Chinese cuisine.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had a dinner in this restaurant and ordered eggplant, fish and sleeve-fish there. It's one of two chinese meals we had in Istanbul. The other one is located around Taksim Square, named Hong Kong Restaurant, that I REALLY DIDN'T recommend to taste. Compared with that, this restaurant is clean, provides original Chinese food.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

After the Owner ushered us in, we were seated at a small table near the restroom and dumbwaiter. This "central" location gave us a good view of the restaurant's operations--from the tour groups seated at the large round tables in the back to the food being brought up in the dumbwaiter by the kitchen. The owner's wife (last picture wearing red) came to take our order. After the tour groups left, we noticed that their UNFINISHED LEFT OVER RICE was served to us. Not only was it cold and unsanitary, but when we told the wife, she went downstairs and simply reheated the rice in the microwave and brought it back to us. We asked her not to serve us leftover rice that had previously been on the table for these tour groups and she got highly defensive and swore up and down that it wasn't. She was obviously lying because we had seen the Turkish bus boys re-use the rice already. Ask any one of the Turkish bus boys and they'd tell you, protocol is to serve left over unfinished cold rice. Totally shocking that their restaurant license hasn't been taken away. It was completely immoral and we obviously got sick.
When the bill came, there was an additional service charge that we weren't informed of. We asked what it was and was told it was "tax." We found out later that it was a service charge certain restaurants charge for change of table linens, water or tea, and bread. We received NONE of these things--the table linen was dirty and had been unchanged for many table flips , we weren't offered tea, water, let alone anything else.

A complete rip-off and terrible business operating without a conscience.

Avoid!