“City trip Istanbul”

Ranked #276 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“City trip Istanbul”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I found this place online and it was half price, so I booked it as the reviews were not bad either. It is clean, the room was very small and next to the main street and the small Mosque, so I never had a good night sleep. It was loud most of the night, and you got woken up at around 5ish by the Mosque. The room was too small and therefore too hot in there, open window meant noise and closed window meant too hot. The mattress was very hard and not comfortable. The staff was friendly but did not interact with their guests at all. Hardly any words were spoken like "How are you today? I wasn't even asked at the end if I liked my stay, just took the key and that was it. Also when you came back from a day our or night out...all they said was "hi" and gave you the key. I thought it came across very impersonal for such a small hotel.
Not sure what people are raving about the breakfast. I thought it was actually awful. The only thing you could eat was the bread, butter and jam or honey and the eggs. There were some plates/dishes which should have been hot in my opinion, like the roasted little potatoes, but it was all ice cold and tasteless. The coffee had no taste, I thought the breakfast was an insult to the delicious Turkish cuisine. The lady who observed the breakfast was talking to people who were on the group and offered them free tea in the afternoons, also I always smiled at her and said good morning, she was hardly able to say hello and smile at me. Very unfriendly!
The view on the terrace was the best thing of all.

The hotel is perfectly situated in a nice area and close to all the main attraction, for the price I won't complain, but the staff and the breakfast surely can need some improvement. You're better off with something nice from a Turkish bakery for breakfast. Shame as the hotel is actually really lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HastingsSandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Great little gem near all the main tourist attractions in Sultanahmet. Easy walk to the Grand Bazaar. Price was right, staff was lovely. Breakfast was splendid. Rooms were small, but fine for our purposes (two 30-something girls). Did I mention the rooftop and the view?

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Monsoonedi16
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest ,

I would like to thank you for spending the time to write above review about your accommodation at our hotel. I am happy to be acknowledged that you had a very good stay with us and you are happy for your experience.
I have also informed my colleague with your nice comments in order to make all of them pleasure about your feedback.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Very Nice hotel. Close to the blue mosque, the Hagia Sofia and the Topkapi Pallace. The staff is very kind and friendly. The breakfast is not very impressive but is eaten at the lovely roof terrace. The room is clean and looks new.

• Stayed April 2013
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, April 29, 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Found the Hotel Dara online and it had lovely reviews. We were 2 girls traveling for fun, so we wanted to find a place that was affordable and felt safe. This place is located in the heart of the tourist scene - minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Has a lovely buffet breakfast every morning on the roof deck that has nice views of the Marma Sea and all the ships coming in. The staff is very friendly - gave us a map and a run down on directions to everywhere and how to get around via foot and via the Metro. They were always smiling and spoke great English really well. There is always someone manning the front desk so we always felt really safe. The rooms are small and minimalist but clean and comfy. Great water pressure in the shower, great hot water. Can easily walk to restaurants.

Only negative I can think of...it is right next to one of the smaller Mosques, and that means the 5:30am call to prayer is loudly broadcast right next to your window. So we woke up at 5:30am each day. It was painful. Authentic, but painful. If I came back, I'd ask to be put in a room that does not face the front street entrance in order to avoid this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main street in order to avoid the 5:30am call-to-prayer from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, April 18, 2013

jeju
Reviewed April 9, 2013

it was a start of my family trip from istanbul. and choosing this hotel turned out very nice for my family. we arrived very late about 9. but we can use pick up service for free. though we arrived at hotel late, the receptionist welcomed us very friendly and explained things about a room and some attractions near the hotel. the room was spacious enough for us (4adults). without my asking, they gave us 4 single beds, so we could sleep well. breakfast was also nice. there are all sorts of food including some breads, jam, ham, butter, honey, olives, some vegs, eggs, juice, teas and coffee. we enjoyed much our breakfast for 4days. the location is really good. its only five minutes distance to some historical attractions. the most important thing is the all staff. they are truly kind. and always try to help the guests with nice smiles. though some staffs couldnt speak english well, it never bothered us. because of hotel dara, we started our trip very well.
thanks for treating us so well. take care. thanks for all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank greatbritish

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in Dara for four nights in March 2013 and were very happy with the hotel. The service was friendly, breakfast nice (something a bit different, and the roof top terrace was great) and the room very clean if a bit small. The location is very good, close to all the major sights but away from the crowds. Would definitely stay there again.

PS: Also try the nearby Sokullu restaurant.

Room Tip: There is a mosque next door, so if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room from the other side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sanna_helsinki

Constanta, Romania
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I repeat my visite to Dara Hotel from Istanbul, Sultanahmet ..all last 7 months ...and what can I tell
is that my first impression is now more better....
Everything is perfect for tourists in this coquette family hotel, from the location near Sokollu Camii, neat Aya Sophia, near Blue Mosque, with the magnifique panorama of Marmara Sea from the terasse , where even in winter time you can take breakfast seeing the sea , because is close with transparents walls...and Semra take care of all custommers to eat all delicious almost 80 kinds of foods ...always fresh and very delicious...
That the hotel is very, very clean and always ready to receive the customers, even early that the check in hour....it is admirable...
The staff is admirable, very helpful, always smiling, and trying to offer everything to the customers.I recomand again to all my friends and all the trip advisor readers this excellent hotel from Istanbul...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business