“Fairly priced hotel with good location”

Dara Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #271 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Tallinn, Estonia
“Fairly priced hotel with good location”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in at Dara Hotel Istanbul in February, which is obviously low season for tourism. The hotel is well located in Sultanahmet, very close to all the major historical sites and museums and to the city centre itself. The hotel room we stayed in (2 persons) was not very spacious but with nice view to the next-door mosque and Bosphorus strait. The room itself was a bit worn-out and needed some repair here and there (TV did not work properly, toilet was loose from the floor) but it was definitely good value for the money (we paid ~€46 per night for DBL, BB). Probably would try some other hotel in the same neighbourhood next time, but would still recommend the hotel as it comes with good balance between the location, services and comfort it provides, and the cost for it all. Breakfast was sustainable and the hotel personnel friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: would recommend 2nd or 3rd floors. Central heating should be turned on (if needed in winter months...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul T
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest ,

I would like to thank you for spending the time to write above review about your accommodation at our hotel. I am happy to be acknowledged that you had a very good stay with us and you are happy for your experience.
I have also informed my colleague with your nice comments in order to make all of them pleasure about your feedback.
Osman YASAR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at Dara Hotel for 3 nights based on the high Tripadvisor reviews, and even though, the hotel is in a convenient location in Old Town close to the major sights, we feel the hotel does not deserve these high reviews.

We did like the spacious room, but our room was filled with pesky mosquitoes which came in through the screenless windows that the maid leaves open after cleaning.

The bathroom lock in our room was also broken, and we had to call the front desk to open the bathroom with pliers/screwdrivers after one of us was stuck in the bathroom after turning the faulty lock.

We did love the rooftop view, but the complimentary breakfast was not very fresh as the grapes had mold on them. The staff is nice, but they can be irresponsible when changing shifts. We had booked a shuttle pickup for one of us, and the front desk staff confirmed the reservation in the morning before the pickup. However, we later found the shuttle was full since the staff didn't call in to make the reservation for us until later that day when it was already full. Then we were never informed of the overbooking until it was time to leave for the airport the next morning. The staff called us a taxi, and even though only one person was going, we had to pay the full taxi fare instead of the shuttle price.

Overall, Dara Hotel is a three star accommodation at best, and we recommend it for a short stay for a convenient location to the tourist sites in Old Town. However, we will look for another hotel when we are in Istanbul next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank trojanlili
Constanta, Romania
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I came in this hotel based TripAdvisor reviews of other Romanian tourists and I had a marvellous surprise
to find indeed a very nice and clean hotel, an excellent staff, very good services ....
Situated in a very old area of Istanbul, with an amazing panorama of Marmara Sea, near Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia,
Grand Bazar, Topkapi Sarayi, a.s.o.. this small and very coquette hotel offer all you need when you visit Istanbul.
Congratulations to all for the excellent services !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Temepreance
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is my last night of a 2weeks stay at Dara hotel in the area of Sultan Ahmet. I selected this hotel based TripAdvisor reviews who spoke highly of it. Even then they didn't do this hotel & it's staff justice. The rooms albeit small are spotless, clean linen very day, the rooms aroma is refreshing and always done timely. They attend to any issues within seconds literally. Rook comes with a hearty breakfast served at the roof of the restaurant and has a stunning view of the Sea of Mermara. Samra who is the restaurant manager is the consummate hostess. I always felt as her house guest not a costumer in a restaurant. Once I over slept past breakfast time and lo and behold she insisted on my having breakfast even when the Buffett had closed. Wanted a trip to Ephesus. No problem Aytoc arranged for Volare travel to do what turned to be a Spectacular day at a reasonable cost. Pick up and delivery to the airport no problem. Guidance on places to visit and direction just ask Emir or Aytoç they will offer the best and cost effective advise one can hope to get. Perhaps what clinched it for me is from the outset I felt like a member of an intimate family not some guest in a hotel. Although they serve only breakfast, one can get tee, coffee, other teas during the day. What a service. How long does it take ... Minutes if that. In my return trips to Istanbul I will undoubtedly stay at Dara no matter what the other options. The hotel is located in the heart of all the top historical sights in Sultanahmet. It is within walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Topkapi palace, Basilica Cisterna, but more importantly to Sultanahmet Tram station. Which puts the visitor within immediate reach of any location in Istanbul using the public transport system. I used the smart card which saved me a lot of money. The card is used on all modes of public transport including the ferry services. The staff at the hotel explained how it works. Some US & European chains who do the "cookie cutter style customer service" may want to come to Dara to learn what the real genuine thing looks and feels like.
A flawless performance like this needs leadership at the top and that is Osman, others are leaders in their areas: Emir, Aytoç, Yalmaz in the reception area these guys don't miss a beat. The bell staff Ahmet, Bayawn, &Erban. Samra provides the real feel of your own home kitchen with a spread you wouldn't see anywhere else of Turkish assorted breakfast delicacies. She works every days (in 2weeks she was there every day) and she knows every one that comes to her breakfast, what they like and how they like it. I didn't have to tell her she figured it out the first time. And, she always smiles and the pride she shows in her work

Room Tip: I booked a single room, for few more dollars I would have gotten a double which would have given me...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MedA48000
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed many times in this hotel, and even just I visited it when I am only passing in Istanbul.
Why ?
Because everything is EXCELLENT , AMAZING, EXTRAORDINARY !!!
The location is central , just in the hearth of the historical area, near a very old other mosque Sokullu,
very easy to reach him , very close from Aya Sophya, from Blue Mosque, a.s.o.
I liked very much the family atmosphera of this hotel, the rooms very nice, extremely clean , every day
the house-keeper take care of them.
I didn't find any problems with AC, with water or electrical installation.
Everything was perfect !
Amazing is the terasse where is the breakfast : you have a amazing panorama of the Marmara Sea and of the
harbour, and of the Sokollu Mosque from where we can hear the muezin - don't forget - we are in a Islamique
country.
EXTRAORDINARY ! The staff of the hotel is extraordinary, beginning of course with Ms. Semra , our breakfast
author, and all the staff of the reception, Emir and Yilmaz, Aitach and Ahmet, and also Osman bey , the Marketing Manager, all are so helpfull, so polite, benevolent and all the time to your dispositions with any service, any informations.
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL AND TO THE BOSS OF THEM FOR EVERYTHING!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liliana V
hoteldara, Director of Sales at Dara Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, November 30, 2012

Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I spent 5 nights in the hotel along with my sister and her husband and my daughter - we had three rooms in total. The hotel was clean and well managed with a very efficient and friendly staff. I was unfortunately ill for the last 36 hours which meant that I had to reschedule my flight. The staff were helpful in sorting out another flight for me as well as a taxi to the airport.
I thoroughly recommend this hotel. Its standards are high and it is well placed for visiting some of the wonderful historic sites of Istanbul.

Martin Thomas

Room Tip: All the rooms were of a good size with well designed en-suite facilities
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Small but cosy rooms, although understandable as ideal location. Very friendly and helpful staff, and roof top terrace breakfast fantastic for both food and view. Also very close to the awesome Sokullu restaurant! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012