“Unfriednly staff, did not felt safe”
Review of Best Island Hostel

Best Island Hostel
Ranked #615 of 1,219 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
“Unfriednly staff, did not felt safe”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I checked in this hostel and made a mistake of ordering a breakfast when in fact I had to leave early in the morning. When I later asked to cancel the breakfast and get a refund (just about 2 euros, no big deal), I was instead given a long lecture how unacceptable it is to just ask for it, how the man behind the counter traveled to almost all countries of the world and never seen something similar (like being polite to customers and helping them even if they make mistakes) and so forth and so on. Then he proceeded to inquire exactly where I stay in the hostel, and as a final point explained the matter is not the two euros which he could have easily given to me, but that he did not liked the way I talked or I did not asked in proper subservient manner or something like that. At the end I felt quite threatened and rather moved to some other hostel in the area even if it meant paying for the night twice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Staying at this hostel recently I had to leave due to dangerous circumstances. it started on my day of check out and a friend was checking in, but they said the room he had booked was no longer available and they had changed him to a much more expensive room at which he would have to pay the difference, we tried to explain that it should not be on the customer to foot the bill for there booking mistake but it fell on the deaf (and angry) ears of the receptionist. After this I went to grab my bag out of luggage storage ( which i had to pay for ) and it was soaking wet due to leakage from somewhere in the hostel. I also reported this to reception but the girl said this was not her problem and started getting angry. I then gave up and asked if she could just book me my airport shuttle so I could leave and angrily she said there is no more, though I knew from being down the road at the shuttle company 5 minutes earlier there were heaps of vacancies .... Not happy at her service I said "well this is Fing S. I do not like the way you are treating me and this is a S hostel". ( yes I know, I should not of spoke like this ) after this comment the receptionist exploded saying "F you, you in my Fing country, F you, you F. In 5 minutes I will have my father and 100 people here and you will be a dead man. " So I turned and walked out. however the brother, who also works in the hostel chased me down the street yelling death threats and slapped me in the face. I did not react and kept walking as I had heard a RUMOUR, The week before a customer believed to have been stealing, had a gun held to his head by reception. And I was not willing to risk finding out the truth. I then walked down the road and booked the airport shuttle bus with the reception still yelling "we will ring the police and have you killed at the airport F you. " All in all a bad experience. So as previously mentioned if you value good service, good customer service and your life. Stay somewhere else with nice Turkish people I'm sure there are lots! And to the hostel owners if you read this. The travelling world and its beautiful people do not need people like you tainting their otherwise wonderful and mind opening experiences of foreign people, places and cultures. We respect your culture, so respect us. Peace

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Travhappy333

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

That's a simple place, will probably suit your needs if you're a student travelling on a budget. They have hostel rooms with more places but we stayed in a double room which was 70 liras for a night as I remember (we booked it in place almost in the morning). The room had no a/c, just a fan. It was small and the showers/toilets are shared. Door of the toilet was impossible to close but they had more toilets on other floors. Nothing fancy but the room was clean. The location is really good and easy to find. You get breakfast outside.
The staff was really nice.

Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Best island hostel is pretty good and cheap. Staff were friendly enough. A very strategic location, close with sultanahmed street and historic attractions in istanbul. Bathroom should be repaired, the door is not functioning and cleanliness therein. Should be more friendly with customers. Should provide tour packages to customers.

Room Tip: Give A/C in each room, because in the summer it is very hot at all
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lille, Belgium
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed for two nights, in early May 2013, in a double bedroom. We had three main reasons to book this hostel:
1) the location: at a short walking distance to Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque
2) the price: cheapest hostel in Istanbul
3) (the pictures of) the bar at the roof terrace

After our stay, we came to the conclusion the only reason to be positive about is the first. So we'll start this review with the location: excellent! The hostel is in a touristic neighbourhood, so the restaurants/bars are expensive. However, with a short walk (15 minutes) you're in a less expensive and just as good aera with bars and restaurants. An advice: drink/eat where Turkish people drink and eat --> better quality and a better price. But, the hostel itself has nothing to do with this...

Then, one other positive thing about Best Island Hostel is the dedication of (some of the) staff. We saw the cleaning lady/waitress and the young man at the reception working for the guests (bringing us tea), even while they were being yelled at by the people who are the owners.

That directly marks the first main negative point: the owners seem to view the guests as annoying. And we got to know that, since our double bedroom was directly next to the reception desk. We could hear the arguments between reception and clients and we concluded that the staff/owners were primarily unreasonable and only interested in money.

The bar on the roof terrace is simply not available: there are people sleeping on the terrace. Nice for them, but we booked the hostel because of the terrace. Not possible to go there to have a quiet beer. We advice the owners to be honest about this in the brochures and in the adds.

We didn't check other prices, however on hostelworld.com this hostel was the cheapest. So you can't be too critical, but Best Island hostel is simply not worth it...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R J
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed May 8, 2013

It is a scam. We booked a double room; upon arrival the helpful receptionist (which quickly changed in the course of what happened next) took as to the basement room with no windows, no furniture no nothing besides a twin bed. After our amazement, he promised to move us upstairs the next day when a room gets free. Since we arrived pretty late, we accepted. The next morning though a "lady receptionist" showed us our new room...which was again in the basement, this time with a tiny window on top.
Pointing at the fact I was provided utterly wrong information, I wanted to move out and asked my money back. Not only were I disapponted with the state of our room (no light, no air, no room for luggage) I was literrally shocked with the rudeness of all the hotel staff after I expressed my objections to what I paid for (i.e. what was advertised on the website) and what we were actually offered.
This was by far the worst experience I have ever had with a hostel. The cherry on top of a cake was a mouldy bathroom, "delicious" rotten veggies for breakfast, no kitchen amenities and constant noise (loud music, thin walls allowing to hear everything).
Eventually, we moved out and found a nice and clean accommodation for the same price in the area.
It's a shame what some people dare to advertise as accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 678Juliet
Chile
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is awful. In the day me have been stolen there. The service is bad, and staff unfriendly. Many Problems with the staff. If you ask, the staff did not respond in English, I asked for the loss of money and have insulted me and shouted in Turkish, in addition to open my room to insult, horrible place!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo