“Deceptive, arrogant and extremely rude staff”
Review of Grand Esen Hotel

Grand Esen Hotel
Ranked #155 of 1,051 Istanbul B&B and Inns
London, Canada
“Deceptive, arrogant and extremely rude staff”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We arranged for this hotel to hold our bags for 3 days, book a hotel shuttle and provide day use upon our return from central turkey. Before leaving Istanbul, we agreed on a price with their receptionist named Hamdusena, with a signed receipt.

Once we returned from our side trip Hamdusena had more than doubled our price, explaining that he had sent a more expensive shuttle for us (without informing me when I phoned from Kayseri to confirm our shuttle).

At first I did not refuse to pay the price, but simply requested that he consider a discount since there had clearly been a mix up on their end. Hamdusena would not let me open my mouth to even explain why I was upset with their rediculous increase in price. After not being able to speak for nearly 5 minutes I simply requested for my bag to be returned to me and we would find another hotel for day use. They refused to return my bags, I had to literally search through the first floor of the hotel myself. Once I mentioned calling the police my bag was reluctantly given to me. My husband and I left the hotel and began walking down the street. Two hotel staff and the shuttle bus driver began chasing us down the street yelling for us to come back. Again we threatened to call the police and they backed off.

I would not recommend this hotel for ANYONE unless they enjoy being treated like garbage.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank capitano-88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Nablus, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I booked a room last year,the single room is very small i hit my head during sleeping tow times,no elevator curved stairs,breakfast i can't even call it a breakfast just bread and tow more cold items.
You can't close the bathroom's door and the most annoying thing was the smell of cigarettes all the time.
I only spent sleeping hours and maybe tow hours during the day to change clothes and wash up.
what makes angry the most is that they raised their rooms prices,I payed 20 Euro for the night,but while I'm searching now for hotels in Istanbul I found it 30 Euro.
I don't recommended for any one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Side, Turkey
Reviewed November 6, 2010

the actual locatıon of the hotel ıs great, ıt ıs central to most of the places tourısts want to see. However, I would not advıse you to stay there unless you have a man wıth you. My frıend and I decıde to do a 2 nıght stay, fırst nıght no problem, but 2nd nıght was a dıfferent story!!! we had a member of staff tryıng to force hıs way ınto our room. It took both of us to push hım out and get the door closed, he then loıtered outsıde the door and only left when we threatened to call the polıce!! next mornıng he came runnıng after us grovellıng and apologısıng for hıs actıons, but no amount of apologısıng wıll persuade us to ever stay there agaın.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We found a good deal through JustInTimeHotels.com for Esen Hotel. Prior to booking, we checked out the photos and it seemed like good value for money for a 3-star hotel. When we arrived at Esen Hotel, we asked if they still had rooms available and the reception said yes. But when we informed them of our deal through JustInTimeHotels.com the reception fobbed us next door to ‘Otel Sultan’ and tried to convince us it was the same 3-start hotel.

However the room was shoe-box sized, musty, moldy, dirty and smelled of old cigarettes with a bad stench coming from the toilet which was brown and dirty. The shower didn’t work properly and the bed sheets and blankets did not look or smelled like it had been washed for a while either. It was worse than a 1-star hostel!! We made a complaint about the room and the hotel change from our original booking, but they didn't seem to care whatsoever.

When we checked out after our dreaded 3 night stay, they tried to charge us €20 more than the internet booking price. We had to endure a whole lot of arguing, a beating (a literal punch in the face) from the receptionist himself and a police officer to convince them what we actually owed them and how dreadful their customer services were.

All I can say is if you’re up for a musty, moldy, dirty, smelly hotel with bad customer service and a beating (a literal punch in the face) then go for it! Otherwise we would advise all travelers to avoid Esen Hotel at all cost, this hotel is not worth a penny or a punch in the face! If this was in my country, I would sue them an arm and a leg!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wvp2010
Paris, France
Reviewed July 16, 2010

One of our friends booked the place completely randomly. Before we actually arrived in Istanbul, I had checked the reviews on trip advisor and it looked pretty bad. Once arrived in the hotel, it was even worse. The rooms are ridiculously small. Don't even think to fit two people in there. On top of that, the wallpapers are peeling, the bathroom has broken bits and parts and all in one, it makes you want to run away. One exception: their 2 rooms presented like "presidential suite" on the top floor. Don't be fooled though, they will tell you it's for 4 or 3 people and there's no way more than 2 people can stay a night without asphyxiating (it's boiling hot, in the summer).

The breakfast is absolutely scandalous. We didn't get to eat anything, and all the clients in this hotel thought the exact same.

There is no lift, so if you carry extra luggage, get ready to do some exercise. Particularly if you go for the top floor (5th floor). The hotel has REALLY STEEP stairs.

Last but not least, the staff isn't nice, but not that you care since they don't speak a word of English anyway. The owner/manager does, but he won't give a damn about your request. I forgot a piece of belonging, knowing what would happen, I took a chance and called them saying that I would pay for all the expenses if they had the courtesy to send it back to me. The owner/manager answered that his phone wasn't working and that he couldn't hear properly. Asked me to drop an email, and no surprise, no answer ever came.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
sydney
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our room had 2 red velvet chairs and 2 beds. Very sunny and bright. The beds were comfortable we stayed on Level 2 so no water views but views of the railway station. Windows opened and also had use of the airconditioner at night all included in the price. Typical Turkish breakfast olives, tomatoes,cucumber,
boiled eggs, sliced meat, jams and bread. We were able to access the hot water for tea and coffee in the evenings. Great cheap eat restaurants all around in surrounding streets. Opposite is a supermarket. Walking distance downhill to Emininou Port area. Helpful staff. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Rooms pretty clean, great location, nice service. Air-condition and WiFi in the hotel. Rooms were cleaned daily, when we were leaving there was no problem to order taxi to the airport. Breakfast served near reception which is the only disadvantage. We couldn't pay with a card as terminal was broken?!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple