“Meet Ibrahim and Stay for a Wonderful Meal”
Review of Cafe Rumist

Cafe Rumist
Ranked #11 of 13,609 Restaurants in Istanbul
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Description: All the Turkish hot and cold drinks, dessert, kebabs, pides, pizzas in a wood burning oven.
Annapolis, Maryland
“Meet Ibrahim and Stay for a Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ibrahim hailed us from the front of his restaurant our first morning in Istanbul -- common for every Sultanahmet cafe and restaurant -- but we soon learned we had common friends in D.C., where he also operates a carpet import business, and he treated us to complimentary chai. We returned to eat at our new friend's restaurant and were delighted with our meals. Excellent cheese pide for me (our hotel across the street orders the pide on delivery for the staff), delicate lamb chops for my spouse, and an item our guest called the "Laughing Dancer," which was beef and vegetables cooking in a skillet over a flame while she ate. The food was excellent and the service quick and friendly.The Turkish khave (coffee) which followed was some of the best we had ever tasted. Our food arrived quickly and the family staff was very friendly and helpful. Good conversation with our guest, who speaks fluent Turkish, No alcohol served, but the fruit blend (kiwi) drink was very nice. Bread cooked by the staff also excellent. Oh, and btw, ask to see the carpets on the second floor; they're beautiful.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
india
“Cafe”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by this cafe for lunch one afternoon and ordered some pizza's. the service of the place was quick and the staff were friendly enough. However the quality of the food was average. You would not govhere apecially for having food per say but its a good cafe to just stop by and have a drink. For people who feel uneasy about cats beware as they seem to own this street and will always be snooping around and beliw your tables for dropped food in this and all other restaurants on this street

Singapore, Singapore
“Very simply awesome”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

All the food from the pizza to the kebabs and beef steak was excellent. Loved the location especially for lunch as it offered a nice break from the busy tourist areas of topkapi and hagia sophia areas. The owner and wait staff were very attentive and reccommended a great mixed kebab platter with what I would like rather than just on the menu, very appreciative of him going out of his way. Perfect lunch spot!

1 Thank Nick M
oklahoma city
“Empty, boring”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Based on trip advisor reviews, visited for dinner. Restaurant was 90% empty and boring at 9:30. Walked 100 M down street to Sultan. Sultan was good, affordable, busy and fun. Great street bur Rumist was empty

Solebury, Pennsylvania, United States
“Went twice in one day”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had read about Rumist on TA and tried it out for lunch. Really nice server said "sit anywhere you want" and brought me some delicious spicy red stuff in a bowl with some pita while I waited for my mezze platter, which was perfect. Really comfortable and relaxing, nice view of the street. I was in the neighborhood later so stopped in for dinner, this time chicken kebabs from their wood burning oven -- very tasty. I asked for apple tea but the server said it really didn't go well with what I was ordering (have it for dessert) and brought some yogurt water, which was a little strange but probably a good way to start the meal. Apparently it's a staple and I'm sure it's very healthy. Food was not cutting edge but more like comfort food, and my guess is that is pretty consistent, based on the other reviews I've read here. I'd go back anytime I am in the area.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Cafe Rumist? Share your experiences!