“Good location, resonable price”
Review of Hotel Polatdemir

Hotel Polatdemir
Ranked #423 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Good place to stay, walking distance for old city attractions and immediate access to new city by tram. Bazaar and a lot of shops are just nearby. A lot of places were you can eat, I recommend the ones where you see locals eat, they do not serve alcohol but the food is very good and the prices are reasonable compared with the touristic ones. Rather small rooms, but did not bother us, we stayed 3 days. Great breakfast, still crowded from 9 to 10 am, you might need to wait for someone to finish before you can get a table.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room with a street view if possible otherwise you will see just roofs and stove-pip...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndaGeorgiana

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Pro:
- Newly furnished and well decorated rooms, especially the bathrooms are very tasteful (as much as I am thinking to buy the same tiles for my house). Overall you have the feeling to be at least in a 4 stars when you are in the room. You have some nice touches like complementary slippers.
- Good breakfast, for such a small hotel, there is a bit of everything and of good quality. And the waiters are really taking care of the room and guests.
- 50 meter from the tram stop, that takes you to the airport (with one change) or through most of the tourist destinations
- 300 meters from the metro line that goes directly to the airport
- Just off one of the main streets of old Istanbul. Within a 20 minutes’ walk you have the vast majority of tourist attraction and places to eat
- Some of the staff is very attentive and nice

Contra:
- Our room was of normal size, but some I have seen passing by are really tiny, so I suppose it is a matter of luck.

The only serious complaint I have is to the management:
1)You put a kettle with 2 tea bags and 2 instant coffees in the room and do not restock them? When we asked to get 2 tea bags at our 3rd day of stay, we were told that we could not as the policy was not to refill? Great move!! You saved something in the region of 0.05 lira and got two annoyed customers.
2) Even although most of your personnel are very good, some of them treats you like you are a nuisance. In particular I am referring to the man at reception the morning and early afternoon of the 8th of November (I was not able to see his badge). All the times we encountered this person during our stay, we have been not only ignored repeatedly, but he did act really annoyed of us just passing by, as if we were disturbing his internet browsing session. Now this is my review number 48, and I think it is the first time I bother to complaint about rude staff, but if this is his attitude, he should not work in the hospitality industry.
3) Sort out your reception area: even if you are short of space, it looks like a 1 star motel; with wooden boards holding up printers and generally messy. Not at all reflecting how nice the rest of the hotel is. If I had not already booked, I would have walked away.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dcp772000
Reviewed November 18, 2011

If you want to stay close to the Grand Bazar this hotel is definitely an outstanding one. We walked to the Bazar and it took about 10 to 15 minutes at most. The room was very clean modernly decorated. We were very pleased with the service. The attendents were very courteous and helpful in every way. The breakfast was very delicious and had good variety. There were also lot of choises to eat at nearby locations. I will definitely consider this hotel if I go back to Istanbul again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Location of the hotel is in the older part of the town (Aksaray) which is quite crowded. To go to Sultanahmet one can take a tram (there's a tram stop right near the hotel) - cheap and convenient. The room, as other reviews point out, are quite small but clean, and there's no nice view from the room. Its nice for couples but if you have a lot of luggage, it feels cramped. The lift/elevator is tiny and moves at a very slow pace.....I felt claustrophobic in it, so I often took the spiraling stairs. The breakfast was really good with variety of fruits yogurt and breads. The waiters were attentive and courteous and helpful. The manager of the hotel was a little curt and rude regarding our schedule of stay at the hotel.....I had made a cancellation on Booking.com and then changed the dates for this hotel which the manager of the hotel did not like. Most employees understood English, at least the basics.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front - at least you will get the street scene.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Location is a definite strength of the Polatdemir hotel - one gets on the metro in the Airport, one gets out in Aksaray. I wondered how the hotel could fit into such a narrow building, but it does. A visitor has an access to all features required from the 3* hotel - including a very decent breakfast. Rooms are very small, but comfy, I liked the bed and a clean bathroom - but mind you, if one is sensitive to the issue of available space, an episode of claustrophobia is likely.

Within a walking distance from the hotel one can find a T1 tram station (to Sultanahmet), a metro terminal (to the airport) and a couple of bus stops convenient if you want to cross the Golden Horn. Lots of other hotels in the vicinity, but I think that Polatdemir is a right choice for a budget-conscious tourist.

One serious downside of the hotel that I found really annoying: wifi internet connection is completely unreliable and the hotel staff, otherwise helpful, failed to do anything with that during my 5-day stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank polarwombat
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We read the posted reviews and decided to go with this hotel and booked it. We just returned after a very comfortable 4 night stay. Yes, our room was very compact but we didn't care as long as the room was clean; the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was roomy and fully equipped. Istanbul was absolutely awesome!! To my surprise, it is a very sophisticated, well-functioning, exciting city with thousands of years of history. This city is constantly moving with oodles of fresh, rhythmic energy and seems to renew itself over and over again. It is a city that definitely doesn't sleep!!

After an amazing Mediterranean breakfast buffet fit for the Sultan himself, we spent our days sightseeing and didn't care very much about how many square meters the room was or wasn't nor were we delighted or disappointed with the view. Hotel Polatdemir is a great location and is easily accessible to public transportation and only minutes away from most landmarks, making sightseeing very convenient and painless. Actually, one could even walk to most places if desired.
The staff was very polite and welcoming and went out of their way to accommodate us quickly and efficiently.
During our stay, the wireless internet was not functioning properly but there was a computer available to guests who needed to go online. Actually, that was the only disappointment for us as we always travel with our laptop and could not enjoy the convenience of using it in our room for business. The front desk tried to get it repaired but were unable to do during our stay.
We say "Kudos" to Hotel Polatdemir and hope to return next year for a longer stay. By the way, the online room charge was exactly half of what the rate is at the front desk. We love a good bargain and this was definitely a great deal and excellent value for our money.

Room Tip: Book online, you'll save bigtime!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kaneva
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is absolutely worth its price! It is very small (6 rooms per floor, 6 floors total), so are the rooms (good for 1 person, a bit tight for two) but super clean, with an excellent bathroom and a very fine bed. Very essential, but with a safe and air conditioning.
The breakfast is rich, thought a bit monotonous. Bar is a plus. I was not charged extra for 2 local calls, which is also a great plus. WiFi did not work well, which is a minus.
Location is strategic: you are 10 min walk from the Blue Mosque. The tram stop is just round the corner. And you're in the market heart of Istambul in case you hunt for cheap shopping. All very fine for a small hotel and price/quality ration.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business