“Great hotel, great location, great staff”
Review of Rast Hotel

Rast Hotel
Ranked #233 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Excellent all round - staff are helpful, speak English, can give you good recommendations for eating out nearby, places to go & see (and not!). Mr Happy on reception is amazing !!!!!
Clean rooms, great breakfast and fantastic view from cafe - would recommend to anyone travelling and staying in Istanbul.

Room Tip: ask for rooms street side
There are newer reviews for Rast Hotel

Reviewed October 24, 2012

On arriving into Istanbul we opted for a shared car service to take us to our hotel. The car stopped off at numerous hotels along the way, all of which looked clean and cared for. My boyfriend and I were becoming increasingly nervous as we approach the Rast and as it turned out, quite rightly so. Once we had checked in we were shown to a tiny lift and taken up to our floor. The landing was in darkness and as he switched the light on and opened the door to our room I felt like turning around and walking out. The location of the hotel was good however our room 'with a balcony' overlooked a rubbish heap and the bathroom wall was clear glass meaning that when on the loo your partner has a clear view! The decor is very old and I didnt feel that the room was particularly clean. We asked for a new room which was granted, it didnt have the rubbish tip but other than that was much the same. I think you can find much nicer hotels for the same price. The breakfast was good and the views from the breakfast room beautiful.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice G
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would highly recommend staying at Rast. The staff are extremely helpful, the location is great, views are amazing. The rooms are clean. Bathrooms arn't anything special but clean. They provide bottled water each day for safety. It is also located up the street from a great road to go for dinner each night and not far from the Grand bazaar!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I,stayed for 4 nights in this boutique hotel in mid October.It turned out to be the most ideal situation,right slap bang in the middle of all the most famous and important historical monuments and buildings.Everywhere we wanted to go,was within comfortable walking distance,and if you didnt want to walk,there was a handy tram service.The hotel service was excellent,the breakfast was more than adequate (suit all political,religious,vegetarian,or meat eating) persuasions.and the staff were courteous and helpful at all times.The air conditioning worked ok,although i preferred not to use it at this time of year.Some people might have a gripe about the decor,but to me,it was as good as can be expected in this sort of hotel.The view from the terrace restaurant was absolutely breathtaking,you could see a full 360 degree circle,and being slap bang in the middle,i could see and felt that i could almost reach out and touch all the famous sites of interest,and could see right out to the golden horn and bosporous straits and the sea.So far so good,and no complaints.
A word of warning....when you book your hotel,you may come across free pick up and drop off service by the hotel.I booked Flight+Hotel through British Airways.When i booked the package there was nothing on the British airways process that would let me confirm my requirement of pick-up,drop-off.I immedaitely e-mailed British Airways asking for assistance in this respect,and received automated acknowledgement of e-mail,saying that it could take upto 24 hrs to deal with my query. 2 days later,no reply,I e-mailed again trying to get a resolution to my problem,and still nothing.(This was 3 weeks before travelling,and we still havent received a reply from British Airways yet).I then e-mailed Rast Hotel directly and asked them to arrange the pick-up,drop-off.They immediately replied saying that the service was only avaible to direct bookees with the hotel itself,and not through British Airways.I then sent a further 2 e-malls to Rast Hotel appealing to their good nature,saying that my flight would be arriving in istanbul at midnight,and it would not be a very good experience having to travel to the hotel when most of the transport infrastructure shuts down about that time,meaning i would be checking in to the hotel anything between 2am and 4am.I didnt receive a reply to that,and assumed that i would possibly have to make my own way to the hotel.Imagine my surprise and delight when i walked out of the airport and saw our names on a board held up by the pick-up driver.It turned out that they took pity and provided us with pick up only.
To avoid this sort of misunderstanding,Its worth doing a bit more asking before booking.And Zero marks to British Airways for being no help and for their lack of communication.
To sum up,I would happily use this hotel again,but would think twice before booking through British Airways.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked the Rast through Expedia after reading the reviews. We had a 1 night stay there before a cruise. It has old style decor as others have said.We were able to walk to many of the attractions being in the Old City.Transfers were arranged for us from the airport and to the cruise for 25 euros each journey. The view from the breakfast restaurant was wonderful.
The main reason for giving this review is to compliment receptionist Ihsan. He went that extra mile and was very helpful to everyone. Thank you !

Reviewed October 16, 2012

When checking reviews on tripadvisor I am careful about how seriously I take the reviews in relation to the rating. For example if someone gives the hotel only 2/3 stars because the bedroom/bed is too small, I ignore it. If someone gives it a low rating because there the towels are not fluffy enough I ignore them. And so to this hotel, I have seen a few reviews that complain about minor things but don't let these put you off staying here.

There were a few things that I didn't like, but none of them would stop me from recommending it as a place to stay because they were minor and did not distract from the overall pleasure of my stay. Then again I don't ask for much, a comfy bed, good breakfast and friendly staff.

Yes it was shame that they didn't serve fresh orange juice at breakfast, especially when it is so readily available on every street in Istanbul, but the rest of the breakfast is lovely. It is also a shame you can't get a beer in the bar, but we are in a Muslim Country and all you need to do is walk 2 minutes to the next hotel where you can enjoy an Effes on the roof. Our room was a 'little' tired, but still very nice. Let's face it, with a city like Istanbul, you're not in there very much!

However, the staff are really friendly and helpful, nothing seemed to much for them. Yes when we arrived they sat us down with tea to show us where everything was on the map. They did tell us about boat cruises and how they could get a discount, but it was all done in a helpful way and there was no hard sell.

The first room they showed us was a triple, but when we said we would rather a double that was no problem. Our transfer back to the airport was already arranged as well. So as you see friendly and efficient staff.

There were ample toiletries in the bathroom and the bedroom was cleaned every day.

The view from the restaurant is amazing.

Something to watch out for when in Istanbul (not to do with the hotel) Taxi drivers will always tell you that there is a traffic problem and try to put the price up - remember to haggle!

Things to try:

1. 360 restaurant
2. Fresh fish from the market, they just grill it, wack it in a roll with salad - yummy. (The Beyoglu side of Galata bridge)
3. The Spice Bazar & Grand Bazar
4. A beer on a roof top bar somewhere (Pierre Loti Hotel is nice)
5. Hamam
6. Pay the extra for the Harem at the Topkapi palace - get there early

2  Thank Jessiclees
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel has a fantastic location right near the tram line and within easy walking distance to all the main attractions in the old city. The breakfast is excellent and so is the rooftop restaurant view. The staff are very friendly and helpful I can commend the restaurant staff most highly. It would have been great if the restaurant was open for dinner because the view at sunset would be amazing. One down side was we were only given one key even though I was sharing with a friend. This meant that we would need to ask to be let into the room if you choose to do different things. The front desk was a bit pushy with booking tours for you but other than that. You will not be disappointed in the hotel and Istanbul is a wonderful city to visit and not to be missed.

Room Tip: We found that a room on the side over looking the street ie without the view was better if you wante...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends