“View, location & Staff all wonderful”
Review of Rast Hotel

Rast Hotel
Ranked #196 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“View, location & Staff all wonderful”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

When checking reviews on tripadvisor I am careful about how seriously I take the reviews in relation to the rating. For example if someone gives the hotel only 2/3 stars because the bedroom/bed is too small, I ignore it. If someone gives it a low rating because there the towels are not fluffy enough I ignore them. And so to this hotel, I have seen a few reviews that complain about minor things but don't let these put you off staying here.

There were a few things that I didn't like, but none of them would stop me from recommending it as a place to stay because they were minor and did not distract from the overall pleasure of my stay. Then again I don't ask for much, a comfy bed, good breakfast and friendly staff.

Yes it was shame that they didn't serve fresh orange juice at breakfast, especially when it is so readily available on every street in Istanbul, but the rest of the breakfast is lovely. It is also a shame you can't get a beer in the bar, but we are in a Muslim Country and all you need to do is walk 2 minutes to the next hotel where you can enjoy an Effes on the roof. Our room was a 'little' tired, but still very nice. Let's face it, with a city like Istanbul, you're not in there very much!

However, the staff are really friendly and helpful, nothing seemed to much for them. Yes when we arrived they sat us down with tea to show us where everything was on the map. They did tell us about boat cruises and how they could get a discount, but it was all done in a helpful way and there was no hard sell.

The first room they showed us was a triple, but when we said we would rather a double that was no problem. Our transfer back to the airport was already arranged as well. So as you see friendly and efficient staff.

There were ample toiletries in the bathroom and the bedroom was cleaned every day.

The view from the restaurant is amazing.

Something to watch out for when in Istanbul (not to do with the hotel) Taxi drivers will always tell you that there is a traffic problem and try to put the price up - remember to haggle!

Things to try:

1. 360 restaurant
2. Fresh fish from the market, they just grill it, wack it in a roll with salad - yummy. (The Beyoglu side of Galata bridge)
3. The Spice Bazar & Grand Bazar
4. A beer on a roof top bar somewhere (Pierre Loti Hotel is nice)
5. Hamam
6. Pay the extra for the Harem at the Topkapi palace - get there early

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessiclees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel has a fantastic location right near the tram line and within easy walking distance to all the main attractions in the old city. The breakfast is excellent and so is the rooftop restaurant view. The staff are very friendly and helpful I can commend the restaurant staff most highly. It would have been great if the restaurant was open for dinner because the view at sunset would be amazing. One down side was we were only given one key even though I was sharing with a friend. This meant that we would need to ask to be let into the room if you choose to do different things. The front desk was a bit pushy with booking tours for you but other than that. You will not be disappointed in the hotel and Istanbul is a wonderful city to visit and not to be missed.

Room Tip: We found that a room on the side over looking the street ie without the view was better if you wante...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

There are some hotels that are difficult to score - meaning how many "blobs" I give them, and whether I would recommend them. The Rast let us down badly on one issue, but that may not affect others. However it has resulted in me rating them "poor" on service, though we were very pleased with most of the service - especially the usual chambermaid.

The issue was with a transfer from the airport. We booked 4 nights on their own site, which entitled us to a free airport transfer. The day before I emailed them to confirm, and received the response "Your pick up service has been confirmed.". When we arrived there was nobody we could find with either our names or the hotel name. As there a lot of people with signs at IST airport this was not a trivial task.

Eventually a tout helped us by calling the hotel on his mobile. I talked to someone there who said something about a car not being available (not clear on exactly what as there was a lot of noise). The big point was that he said to take a yellow taxi, and the fare should be not more than 45TL which they would reimburse. I did not want to be in the possible position of arguing with a Turkish taxi driver, or trying to get change from the big notes the ATM had given me. So the hotel said they would pay the taxi driver directly. We did as instructed and the fare was about 44TL - though the driver did have to stop to get directions.

The porter paid the taxi directly. This was not a problem. I had the impression that this was regular event - which is a warning to others. He contacted the English speaking reception guy, who came out. There was no apology or explanation as to why there was nobody at the airport, or why they had confirmed and had not sent an email saying that there would not be anyone there. Again, what you might expect if this was a regular occurrence

Instead he asked us to sit in the lobby. I suspected the room may not have been ready, even though it was around 6pm, but that was not it. He attempted to sell us some tours, including a suggestion that we devote one of our 4 days in Istanbul (we were actually staying longer, but he did not know that) on an expensive day trip to Cappadocia by flight - something we would never be interested in. He also, very strangely, spent time trying to find out what time we would check out at 4 days later - and we had not even seen our room yet (first weird thing - no big deal, though).

The room was nice - french balcony looking out on the street - on a low floor, so none of the great views. We were very happy with the room size, and have stayed in much smaller . I note that most of the complaints on size seem to be from US travellers. They should try Japan if they want to see small rooms.

But there were a number of practical problems - only one chair (solved quickly by getting an extra one, but it was silly not to have 2), lights not working (one just needed to be moved and plugged in). The main bedside lights were weird. They were controlled by a switch, which was seriously hidden behind the headboards. The double bed was actually two twins which were together, with two headboards (see pics). Luckily we asked about the lights when we were being shown the room. I am doubtful that we would have thought of moving the beds to find the switch for the lights.

There was also a large window between the bedroom and the bathroom. It was a sealed unit with a "venetian blind" (nonadjustable) between the two glass windows. It would have been much better if the had spent the money proper wiring rather than this unnecessary feature. An example of design taking priority over practicality - another little weird feature.

The other - minor - weird thing - was the top sheet, which was a very rough type (designer?). We requested a regular smooth sheet, which the chambermaid supplied. Again not a practical way way of doing things, if comfort is important.

While we were there, there were a couple of maintenance issues (eg french doors stuck, safe battery needed changed) which were attended to very quickly.

The difficulty is having to give a rating for "service" is what to put in when some is excellent (chambermaid, maintenance) and other is a failure (transfer let-down, and no attempt to inform me by email, or even apologize). I have chosen to mark it low, but that should not be seen as criticism of the other staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donard
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Recently (August 2012), my wife and I spent 5 days on holiday in Istanbul following a weeklong meeting of mine in the city. After an exhaustive search for a hotel (reading reviews and talking to friends that live in or are from Istanbul), we selected the Rast Hotel and spent four nights there.

First of all, this is a boutique hotel so for those that complain that the rooms are small, what did you expect? We were quite satisfied with the cleanliness of the room and especially the bathroom (critically important to us). The shower had plenty of room and great water pressure. We were also pleased that they provided shampoo, shower gel and conditioner as many small hotels these days do not.

We had several requests of the staff throughout our stay and we found them helpful and accurate each time. At our request, they also offered suggestions for restaurants, tourist sights, etc... without our feeling as though they were pushing us into something a relative or friend owned. Each time, the recommendation was great and met our expectations. My wife and I travel quite frequently to many different countries and the staff here are as helpful as any good hotel we have stayed in and more helpful than most.

We had breakfast each morning at the rooftop restaurant and I must say that this has to be the best rooftop view in Istanbul (simply incredible). We had breakfast on both sides of the restaurant so we enjoyed the views of the Sultanahmet Mosque ("Blue Mosque") on one side, and the Old CIty on the other. The dining area was very clean and the quality and quantity of the food was very good. We had breakfast here each morning and we were never disappointed.

We were also fortunate to have joined friends for dinner in the rooftop restaurant one night and the Ottoman Feast was simply fantastic. What a great place to enjoy a great meal with our friends while having the best view of the Blue Mosque.

Having stayed in several business hotels in Istanbul this was a nice change of pace. I would recommend the Rast Hotel to anyone looking for a great little boutique hotel in an absolutely fabulous location. You can walk to everything if you are energetic like us or take the tram (only 2 minutes away) anywhere you want to go in the city. There are numerous restaurants in the area so you don't have to go far for a great meal.

We will stay here again during future visits and my wife and I thank the Rast and it's staff for helping make our stay very comfortable and enjoyable!

1 Thank ChinaDuo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I loved this hotel. When we contacted them regarding transfers they said they offered one transfer free of charge. We had actually changed our flight so were 12 hours earlier then expected, and when we arrived our room was ready for us. They explained some of the sights to see, where they were and how long to get there. they also offered to organise tours, but were not pushy. The hotel was close to everything, there were alot of restaurants around to choose from, and a great public tram service that took us to where we needed to go. The room appeared to haver been recently refurbished, our air conditioning worked well and it was clean. The rooftop cafe where they served breakfast was wonderful, the staff could not do more. The only complaint was that my husband was a little disappointed with the breakfasts, as he is not a fruit and yoghurt kind of person. In saying that, the view made up for everything! We loved it here and would stay again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Pros: Excellent location to all the sights. Wonderful roof terrace where guests have breakfast.

The Cons: The front desk staff is rude and like another reviewer said has difficulty with simple tasks. They even entered our room when we had the do not disturb sign on! In addition to being rude the staff was often inattentive (watching TV, talking on the phone, or talking amongst themselves instead of helping guests). As the first sight you see when you enter the hotel - I really found the staff to be off-putting. The rooms are very small (we had two suitcases and it was difficult to walk around) and the bed is hard/the bedding is cheap. The bathroom is outdated.

All in all, I gave this hotel an average review because the location is very central. However, it would be worth it to shop around for a hotel with a higher caliber staff and better rooms as there are so many hotels in the area.

1 Thank Sonia A
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Currently staying at the Rast Hotel, Instanbul.

We are a group and are staying at different hotels.

Now they all wished they booked at the Rast.

The staff are extremely helpful and the breakfast was amazing.

I highly recommend this hotel. Sevgi and Fatma were very helpful especially when I turned up late for breakfast.

Room Tip: 5th Floor rooms facing the Blue Mosque. The terrace has amazing views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business