“As my home at the centre of Istanbul...”

Hotel Darussaade Istanbul
Ranked #43 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“As my home at the centre of Istanbul...”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel has perfect location to live old Istanbul..You can visit the places around Sultanahmet area (Topkapi Palace,Blue Mosque,Hagia Sophia etc..) by walking from the hotel.The beds are comfortable and relaxing..The rooms are modern oriential and clean.The building is well decorated and a wonderful sofa where you can the see the beatiful sea and city view..The Turkish breakfast are delicious and all fresh hand-made goods.I feel like I was at my home and the staff was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ona B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed March 23, 2013

After some last minute changes to my itinerary, I arrived at Darussaade at 22:00 only to have to leave at 03:00 for the airport. The staff, recognizing my fatigue and my lack of breakfast options, graciously offered to prepare me a to-go breakfast. And even scrounged up a banana despite not having one on the premises. While I can't speak to the location or surroundings given the short duration of my stay, the service went above and beyond, and was much appreciated!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Southampton
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Last minute booking for a trip during half term. Taxi driver from airport struggled to find hotel but once found it was a gem. In the shadow of The Blue Mosque and close to other sites such as Ayasofya, cisterns, tram stops and plenty of restaurants, all within walkable distance. Our rooms were clean and well presented with comfortables beds. My sons single room was small but had a big shower! Free wi-fi was an added bonus.

Breakfast was mainly a cold buffet but we were given freshly cooked pancakes every morning. Turkish breads and cheeses were also good with a endless supply of tea (Turkish or English) and coffee. Staff were very friendly and enjoyed chatting about local culture.

My husband had a "proper" shave at a barbers close to the hotel and loved the experience.

Yes you can hear the muezzin saying regular prayers but you don't go to Istanbul without expecting to hear this!

Having been to a number of cities where you are hassled regularly walking down the street to find a restaurant, I was surprised just how little you were pressed. If you said no politely (or that you'd already eaten), you were left alone. We went by the Tripadvisor restaurant guide for our area and it was spot on so, whilst in the main tourist area there are good restaurants and bars.

Only down side was the cost of Turkish wine but I did discover Turkish beer was good!

To sum up excellent small hotel well located to see the sites of Istanbul.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
norway
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is a good choice if you want a good and relatively quiet location for your Istanbul exploration. Only takes a small amount of patience to locate it.
The hotel is small and cozy and the service is all right. I stayed 5 nights and enjoyed both a "special class" double room, and a regular and bit cramped single room. I'd definitely book special class/superior room if a next time visit.
Breakfast is served in a rather gloomy room in the basement, but the food is good, and the waiters and kitchen personell are attentive and pleasant. My pleasure after breakfast was to take a cup of coffee to the small roof top terasse to enjoy it with a beautiful view of the Bosporus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank happy.walkerNorway
UK
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Darussaade last week with my family, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I travel frequently throughout Europe, in the US and in Asia, and have based my remarks on comparison with similar properties elsewhere.

The location of the hotel is very convenient - on a quiet backstreet within 10-15 min walk of the Byzantine Hippodrome, the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet), the Aya Sofya and the entrance to the Topkapi Palace grounds. The Sultanahmet tram stop on line T1 is also about 15 min walk, as is the nearest station on the M1 metro line. We therefore found the hotel in a perfect location to reach the vast majority of major tourist sites on foot or by public transport.

The rooms we stayed in were in the new block, on the top floor. They were reasonably-sized (by European not US standards), pleasantly decorated and very clean. The bathroom and shower were good. The furnishings were fair, and facilities were commensurate with a mid-price hotel. Basics like a hairdryer and wi-fi access were provided free, but there were few other amenities. All in all, convenient and comfortable.

The breakfast buffet served many cold dishes (excellent Turkish bread, several varieties of cheese, excellent Turkish-style yogurt, cold meats, delicious home-made jams) but few hot ones, with regular coffee and Turkish tea. More than adequate for our needs.

The staff were outstanding, and consistently went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Omar and Attila at the front desk were welcoming, helpful and willing to assist in planning our local travel, or in making reservations for dinner. The concierges were also consistently welcoming and helpful in every small way, whether at the breakfast service, or in sorting out room amenities. Simply outstanding.

There may be two minor issues, both connected to the location, and neither the fault of the hotel. First, the hotel is literally in the shadow of the Blue Mosque, and so the muezzin's call at dawn is likely to wake light sleepers. Second, the street that the hotel is on - Akbiyik Caddesi - is lined with restaurants, and, as is usual in Turkey, one runs a gauntlet of (fairly aggressive) invitations to lunch or dine when passing down the street. Neither of these bothered me, and in no way detracted from our stay in the Hotel Darussaade.

Recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AVen_12
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed 2 nighst at the hotel during an urgent business trip in Istanbul and everything with the hotel was amazing. Both Omers' and Yafes's (the receptionist and the waiters) approaches were very positive and professional, breakfast was wonderful, room was very clean.. So, the hotel will be #1 choice for my next trip to Istanbul again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bulent_Cndl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We arrived very early in the morning and went to leave our luggage until we could check in. When we got to the hotel they said we looked tired (had been on a plane all night) and since it was the off season and they had a room they let us check in early and fed us. The room was small, as they are in many European hotelsw, but it was comfortable and certainly met our needs. The entire time of our stay the staff was very helpful and willing to make reservations for us. They also gave us advice on places to eat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple