“Least Terrible Hostel Ever”
Review of Second Home Hostel

Second Home Hostel
Ranked #4 of 1,204 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Chicago, Illinois
“Least Terrible Hostel Ever”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

STAY HERE! The best hostel experience I've ever had by far. And I have stayed in tons and tons of decent hostels and lots of terrible ones too. I've stayed here 3-4 times and I got to know the staff really well. They are really great people: Nejdet, Can, Memo, Selen, Yusuf. They know how to have fun! Rooms are awesome, they have great food, tea, parties. STAY HERE! good location too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hostel is a really great place to stay. The location is central but not too loud, the facilities clean and the staff very hospitable. The breakfast that is included is quite good as well. I would recommend Second Home to a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed December 9, 2012

As I had read good reviews, I looked forward to the hostel very much, but it didn't meet my expectation.

Roof top was not open because it was November.
Private room with shared bathroom is just simple, I couldn't turn on A/C ( it might be centralized ). It is not bad at all, but it is just fine. I was not impressed.
I expected typical Turkish breakfast, but they serve bread and some veggies, what a disappointing !
There is no elevator in this building, they assigned a room nearly top floor, bringing my suitcase down was a tough work for me to do.

I booked a ride (mini van) to head back to airport from hostel and paid for it 8 euro, but NEVER book the ride at this hostel. Usually the ride costs only 5 euro. Go to another hotel nearby to book it and take the ride from there. You don't need to pay 8 euro !

Staff here was nice and helpful, though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank mamacita1001
Wellington
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We had a great experience here - friendly, welcoming staff who assisted us with tours and sightseeing suggestions and were always waiting with a smile when we returned from exploring. Small rooms but tidy and clean and a great location.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

- Great location: Sultanahmet, 3 minutes walk to Aya Sofya, 5 minutes to Galata Bridge and the Spice Bazaar

- Great staff: Memo, Nejdet, Yusuf, Cad and Selem were welcoming from the first moment, offering a Turkish tea and helping you to orientate yourself. Nejdet and I played backgammon, Yusuf practiced his English on me, Selem's insight into alternative Istanbul was great while Cad and Memo's sense of humour was epic

- Great price: I stayed in the 9 bed dorm for 7 nights at €10 per night. The hostel staff also organised either a private pick up from the airport (€24) or a shuttle (€8) and the same in return. The transfer took just over 30 minutes both ways. Turkish or apple tea was also on ready supply at the hostel

- Very good quality accommodation: My biggest concern before going was whether there was somewhere secure for my passport, money and slr camera overnight. Each bed can get bedside draw (secured by padlock) for €2 for the week. It was big enough for everything (about the height of my camera). The bed was comfy although there was just a coarse blanket for the week, no sheets. I took a silk travel-bag and it kept me comfortable while the blanket kept me warm. The dorm was in the basement with 3 single beds, 3 bunk beds, a shared toilet and a good powerful shower. It was cleaned daily.

- Atmosphere: Most communal hostel I've stayed at and great to feel a part of it. I met people from 17 different nationalities (4 continents) at Second Home in just 7 days and on one day I managed to use 7 different languages in conversation. Everybody was very sociable and it was easy to make friends. Four of us went to the Prince Islands together one day and on the Saturday night the hostel staff organised a Turkish themed night - traditional food, Turkish dancing and then everybody went out clubbing en masse in Taksim with all of the taxis organised for us.

The only three miniscule criticisms I could make would be that the ceiling of the dorm seemed quite thin as you could hear footsteps and chair scrapes upstairs (take earplugs!); Memo recommended Sultanahmet Hammam, which turned out to be a howler. Thankfully Nejdet recommended Gedikpasa Hammam to me earlier in the week so I had at least had one very good Hammam experience! Also the roof terrace of the hostel wasn't open in the Winter months.

Room Tip: Take a single bed in the corner of the dorm.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jalmalah
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed December 1, 2012

it is located very good area. you can reach all famous historical places easily. and turkish ravioli night... it was great. if you stay saturday night there, you should see, and also after party Ritm Club. atmosphere was very cosy, all staff so kindly and helpfull, c ya next time

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 30, 2012

What a great four days! This hostel is close to all the major sites and a convenient tram stop (Gullhane and Sirkeci). If you stop at Gullhane, it's a short walk straight up the street in front of the tram stop. Aside from location, the staff is wonderful. I just read the negative review below (you just can't please some!) and yes, they are friendly, but they weren't hitting on me (and many Turkish men did, I will assure you...but it's all in good fun.) Anyways, they NEVER ONCE acted inappropriately. Always respectful. I felt like the guys working here were more like my big brothers than anything else, as they were always looking out for my safety (going to hammam late at night; meeting new Turkish friends on other nights). They truly cared. They offered a free walking tour, but I never had the time to go on that. Breakfast plates are prepared for you when you come down in the morning (bread, tea, spreads, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers). One time our room smelled a little foul from the drain, and the guys immediately came up and took care of the problem....and swiftly. Wifi worked great! Very fun and friendly atmosphere and would stay here again. The only complaint I can think of is to put the few power outlets in better location in the room. The one up high and by the door is pretty much useless. One near the bed would be better, if that is possible. I was in Rm 303, btw. overall, great experience! Oh and the stairs can be a bit rough, the higher up you stay. But the guys will help you with the luggage, too, so again, I give this place a big thumbs up in terms of hostels and service! John, Memo, Nazjdet (spelling?) were all great...oh, and the female, but I can't remember her name, sorry! So much fun Karen and I had!

Room Tip: The staircase can be tough with luggage, so if you have any mobility problems, request a lower floor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends