“The place where you don't need anything else than your dreams”

Grand Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #256 of 1,154 Hotels in Istanbul
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
“The place where you don't need anything else than your dreams”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Randomly and quickly, my friend and I booked this hotel thinking of anything else then the pressure to have an hotel in Istanbul asap. We were very late!!!
We didn't have any expectation. Instead, we found a very nice, quiet and tidy place into the heart of Sultanahmet, well connected to public transports for every kind of destination and very close to the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia and Topkapi Palace.
What really makes the difference is the warm welcome and the kindness of Ramazan and Sebo, the two receptionists who follow you from your arrival till your departure with friendly smiles. Ask them everything and they provide it to you: not only places, streets, neighborhood
trips, but also cultural tips and extraordinary secrets of the town that the best travel guide is unable to reveal.
If you're the kind of traveller who likes to say "I didn't visit Istanbul, only. I also found out its deep secrets, that make it dreamful and extraordinary", pick your backpack up and be sure to have a room at Grand Peninsula Hotel.
Emi&Tati

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Based on a recommendation, we booked this hotel at the last minute & with little preparation for what we would do once we arrived in Istanbul. Despite the lack of planning, this turned out to be one of the highlights of our European / middle eastern holiday, which can largely be attributed to Ramazan & his staff offering such sensational service.
Offering travel advice based on the feedback of their past lodgers, they directed us to all the famous (blue mosque etc) & hidden treasures (fresh, cheap & delicious fish burgers with the locals) of the area & beyond.
Centrally located within old Istanbul, this hotel is within walking distance of all the attractions. It was secure, clean and value for money. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just left Istanbul after a three night stay at the Grand Peninsula Hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect, right next to all the major sites on the historic peninsula. It is clean and simple and has a wonderful view of the sea from the breakfast room on the terrace. Lastly, the staff is wonderful - helpful, warm and professional, particularly Ramazan and Seba. I recommend you check the place out!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We made reservations at Grand Peninsula via the internet.
While we were looking for a standard double, we were told that only large double was available, which was 80€ a night (vs. 70 for the standard double). We were also offered transportation from the airport at 20€.

I booked both the large double (5 nights) and the transportation.
The confirmation email stated that the driver for the transportation would wait for us at arrival with a sign that has my name and that of the hotel.

Upon exiting into the arrival area the driver was nowhere to be found. We walked up and down three times, no sign of the driver. Other drivers asked me if I wanted to hire them for the transport. After well over an hour the driver showed up. He had no sign of any kind; a driver for another hotel with whom I had a conversation pointed him out to me. Our driver's "excuse" : he was parked illegally and had to watch the car.

Location of the hotel:
Very good in an absolute sense. Walking distance to several attractions.
In an relative sense : the hotel is in a several block area that has literally dozens of small hotels. Grand Peninsula is one of those at the farthest point in this area from the attractions, although the difference is not that great.

Room :
Clean. Quite small (stay tuned on this). Minimally equipped.
Bed was not very comfortable : both of us woke up with aching lower backs in the mornings.
Bathroom had a marble door sill that was broken into two and the pieces moved when you stepped on them. Hair dryer had one setting : very hot.
Since the room seemed quite small I went to the reception to say that it could not have been a large double. I was told that it definitely was (stay tuned further).

Breakfast : limited selection, but fresh and tasty. Rolls were very nice.
Breakfast room is quite small and cannot always accommodate the people at a given time. There is an adjacent terrace where you can eat but it can be quite cold there in the morning (of course, depending on the time of the year).

We did not use the reception services much, except to inquire about Bosporus cruise. They tried to talk us into an expensive cruise, never mentioned the less expensive alternatives. Noticed they did the same thing to another guest.

Upon arriving home for some reason I decided to look thru the Grand Peninsula website in detail. When I was going thru the pictures of the rooms imagine my surprise when I discovered that the room we had was a standard double, not a large one !! For the five nights I was overcharged by a total of 50€. It could not have been an "honest mistake", since I did complain about the size of the room, but I was distinctly told it was a large double.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank SquareG
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and were more than happy. The location could not be perfect - in a very picturesque part of the old city and not more than 5 min walk from the best of the tourist attractions. The room had everything you needed - clean linen and nice hot shower - but was nothing fancy. The breakfast was up on the roof top terrace (stunning views) - the food was a bit disappointing though. The staff were extremely helpful and our airport transfer worked out well. Overall excellent value for money and I would recommend to friends visiting Istanbul.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent 5 nights in this hotel, sharing a 'family room' with my Mum. We were satisfied with the hotel, and it provided a good location to explore some of the main historic sights of Istanbul. The family room was small - perfect for 2 people, but would have been cramped with any more people. It was located directly behind the reception desk, and quite dark, but importantly it was quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly, and a nice simple breakfast was served on the rooftop terrace. I feel that perhaps it should be called a 'guest house' rather than a 'hotel' as it lacked many of the amenities that you would expect in a hotel - for example, toiletries are not provided, there is no tea/coffee (though a kettle is provided), there isn't a restaurant, and there are no laundry service or facilities. That said, I was satisfied with the hotel and had a pleasant stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay_BKK
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff are very friendly and helpful, the sort who will genuinely try to help you and are happy to chat about local life. The location is great, 5 minutes walk away from the stunning beauty of the Blue Mosque and Aiya Sofya, not to mention the countless restaurants. They serve breakfast in the morning and the rooms get cleaned every day. My room was spotless, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The views from the terrace are brilliant, you can see over the bosphorous and even steal a glimpse of the blue mosque's minarets.

My only minor complaint was that my single room was quite dark, however I saw into a few of the double rooms and they are very well lit in comparison. The cheap price meant that I wasn't too troubled by this and had a great time. They were even very accommodating on my check out because I was having some trouble with my bank card!

Room Tip: Go for a double