“Mehmet ıs great” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #111 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
San Francisco
“Mehmet ıs great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Ran ınto multıple dıffıcultıes ıncludıng a snapped powercord to laptop on fırst day and he was a real powerhouse.

Spent nearly an hour on phone tryıng to fınd electronıcs store for me and even offered to brıng hıs laptop from home.

Charmıng hotel and exceptıonal servıce.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank orielview

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was actually my second stay in Berce. During my first stay (a short stay over two years ago) I was in one of the ground floor rooms (if memory serves room 101 - the one closer to Reception) but I shall reserve my comments to my second stay accomodation on the first floor (I mean the British first floor what in America would be 2nd floor, room 105, which is billed as the best room in the hotel - all the photos of the rooms on Tripadvisor are of this room).

The double bed is comfy but keep in mind it is actually two twins pressed together so you have a bump or depression in the middle (which you might notice if you have the room single occupancy). There is a blanket but no sheet but I routinely pack at least one queen-size sheet. The blanket is too thick and warm for me - it is more like a comforter. Had I known, I would have packed a light cotton blanket also.

Room space is adequate to good certainly much better than what you would find in the typical old city room -- a lot roomier than what I found at more expensive alternative standard rooms at Best Western Old City or Eresin Crown, for instance. There is a large wardrobe that can accomodate many clothing items to hang.

There is an electic kettle that is placed on the desk! This is really ignorant as that is the obvious place to keep the computer. Speaking of the computer, the WiFi is not fast. Everytime I turned the computer on and off, I experienced some kind on connection problem. In fairness, all except one time, the problem resolved itself through using the Microsoft troubleshooter but this was annoying. However, the owner did get a technician the one time I could not get on line and the problem was resolved withing 2-3 hours.

I did not use the electric kettle as I had brought a hotplate with me which I located (and fit) on a night-table by the bed. (I like to make Turkish coffee - I detest Nescafe.)

There are two chairs but no little table to set down your drinks.

They set the small flat screen TV on the minibar fridge -- a location that was awkward but who wants to watch TV in Istanbul? I asked for the minibar fridge to be emptied and I purchased grocery items. Drinks I wound up storing on one of the small unused balconies (given the cold temperatures -- a better way to keep items cool). The electricity in the room is controlled with the type of key card that you have to stick in an electric switch mounted on a wall to turn on the electricity; so each time you leave, the frig goes off -- in addition to all power sources. I disliked the fact that I had to close down my computer each time I left the room but this is a common headache for guests posed by hoteliers' quest to save pennies.

The room has three doors leading to three very cramped balconies and several windows. Outside on the street are streetlights that light up the room at night after you have switched off the lights to sleep. I don't know about you but I like a pitch black room for sleep so the quality of my sleep was so-so the first night. I mentioned this to the daytime administrator Mehmet and he quickly arranged to have draped to cover all the doors - this was done quickly and I slept better the second night although light still crept in. I explained to him that they need to invest in drapes at least for the window facing the street. The current drapery that they have is just about a foot wide and is really more of a decorative nature and does not get the job done (ie. blocking light).

More annoying, however, was a metal door (outside of the room on the "British" 1st floor) accessible only to staff that leads out to a veranda apparently used as a storage area and each and every time it was opened and closed, it would disturb my sleep. For the life of me, I couldn't fathom why it was necessary for staff to go out there at all -- all the more so in that the opening and closing mechanism of the door was all metal and the darn thing would, even if not slammed, wake anybody up sleeping in one of the two rooms on the second floor. That door needs to be replaced with a wooden door with some insulation that would not make it noisy when the door would be opened and closed. It boggles the mind really why that door was opened and closed a multiple of times by staff every single morning. [Out of curiosity one afternoon, I snuck out onto the veranda. I observed that it is large and empty with a ladder going up to the next story of the building. Perhaps it is serves as a staff smoking venue?] If you had a guest, and your guest was asleep, wouldn't you take care about not making undue noise when puttering about? Just imagine this big iron door opening and closing and you are trying to sleep.

I often sleep late and quite commonly will miss breakfast. The one time I went up there for breakfast there was no food but I was the only guest (so understandably no reason to waste items that would not be consumed) and I settled for a Turkish coffee. [In any event, I do not think much of these basic breakfasts (cheese, olives) anyway and prefer to take lunch in a nearby Turkish cafe (Doy Doy) for guvich or moussaka.]

While we were the only hotel occupants for a sublime interval of time, at some point, a Russian couple came to disturb our tranquillity chattering quite noisily late at night in the adjoining room and every word was audible. This bothered my companion who then wondered how much audio privacy we had. This was much less of an issue for me, however.

The maid service was idiosyncratic. The maid found it necessary to move and rearrange all items -- especially those kept in the bathroom. My companion found this objectionable. For me, more annoying would be items that were obviously needed but would be gratuitously removed. We had plates and wine glasses. One day the wine glasses would be removed (rather than just being rinsed and left standing). I would have to ask for new wine glasses when I noticed them missing. Another time the plates would be removed. Again, I would have to ask for plates. Ditto certain utensils. This became a chore.

It would be recommended to have airconditioners that can also be used to heat the room (i.e., not just for cooling). At first, the radiators were not switched on (accordingly the room was chilly and drafty) and then after about 12 hours from being switched on, upon my request, by the administration, the room became for me uncomfortably toasty (although my companion liked it).

The location in Sultanahmet is excellent -- a short distance from major tourist attractions.

The administrative staff [Mehmet (daytime), Serkan (evening) and Mehmet (night)] are all helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by the combination of noise and light (either from the sun or from the streetli...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RichardThomas2001
Janauba, MG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed as a second time in this little hotel in the begening of December in one of the rooms on the entrance. Very nice room with free tea and coffee facilities. The weather was very cold and snowy but the hotel and my room were very warm. The hospitality of the staff made even warmer. The breakfast on the top floor every morning was so nice with good quality products and very nice view of the old city and sea. Hopping to return to Istanbul again and i will definetely stay at the Berce again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank MNice S
CT, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 days here in the beginning of December. I had checked on tripadvisor to see what was recommended and found the Berce Hotel. We were very happy with our choice and will consider staying again, if we travel to Istanbul. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and the location was right in the perfect spot to walk to all the sights or tram. Our morning breakfast was a treat and Yasar, the owner of the hotel, was happy to explain the different dishes. We had a corner room with a great sea view and two balconies that would be nice to use in warmer weather. In the evening we walked to one of the many restaurants in the Sultanahmet area and we felt quite safe. Our trip to Istanbul was truly wonderful and a great factor in this being true was the choice of staying at the Berce Hotel. Now we are telling all our friends and family to make the trip themselves and enjoy the great hospitality!

1 Thank BarbJTM
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I received excellent, prompt and helpful email correspondence while I was making my travel plans for Istanbul. The staff were very understanding of my needs as a mature, single woman who had never been to Turkey before. My accommodation was excellent, with fabulous sea views of ships and fishing boats, and the location brilliant, close to the centre of tourist attractions but far enough away to be peaceful and quiet. The staff went out of their way to anticipate my needs, offering advice and chivalry. A small hotel, it made me feel like a guest of the family. I would not stay at another hotel should I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank EFF_18
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Very friendly service and beautiful rooms, with view of Marmara. I'm docking a point because the toilet wasn’t adequately cleaned from prior guests, and because the wifi didn’t work for a day and a half.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carl B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you want to stay in a nice, small, not expensive but very clean with a great staff so you should stay here. My wife and I are from Brazil and we blindly chose this hotel. What a good surprise!

We normally stay in more expensive and more luxuous hotels but our goal in istambul was to stay in the old part of the city and do everything on foot!

So there are a lot of restaurants and rug stores in a walking distance. Also the Blue Mosque is in a walking distance.

That's it. Enjoy Istambul and its history!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple