“great hotel, great location, great management”
Review of Berce Hotel

Berce Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Bucharest, Romania
“great hotel, great location, great management”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

i`ve just returned from my trip to Istanbul and i`m happy to recommend this hotel.
the location is great, 5 min from Blue Mosque and Sultanahmet area. Breakfast is good, fresh vegetables, cheese, eggs, etc. Mehmet is really nice and is doing a wonderful job and helped us not only by recommending certain places but also with shuttle issues. I`ve stayed in a single room but it was a huge room, easily fitting 2 people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Berce in October 2012, and were very happy about it. Mehmet and the others are very helpful, and the hotel is situated in a relatively quiet area in the otherwise noisy Sultanahmet area. Rooms are clean, food is good, and it is only a short distance to many of the sites in Sultanahmet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights here in March 2013 and are eager to return. I made our reservation via email with Mehmet, who was very professional, informative and prompt in replying to my inquiries. We were charged for our stay when we checked out, and Mehmet arranged taxi transfer to the airport for us.

Upon arriving in Istanbul, we took the train from the airport and somehow missed our stop - we were only one stop away from the hotel, but with our heavy bags we decided to take a taxi the rest of the way. Our taxi driver couldn't find the hotel, but we had the hotel phone number, so he called and the night employee (feel really bad that I can't remember his name now) ran a few blocks to where the taxi had pulled over to lead us to the hotel! I can't think of any other hotel I have stayed at where the night employee would do something so helpful for us, albeit inconvenient for him.

We were pleasantly surprised to find we had received a complimentary upgrade to a larger suite (Room 107) for 3 of the 4 nights of our stay. This room, one level from the rooftop/breakfast area, was quite spacious, with 3 small balconies and many windows. I am extremely picky when it comes to hotel bathrooms, and this one passed the test. It was very clean, the vanity was well lit, and it included a hair dryer, a towel warmer and nice smelling toiletries.

Beautiful carpets adorn the hardwood floors throughout the hotel; not surprisingly, the owner (his name also, sadly, escapes me now) owns a carpet store in the nearby Arasta Bazaar, and gave us a great deal on a kilim carpet that we will surely keep forever.

Each morning between 8:00am and 10:00am, we enjoyed a variety of fresh breakfast options on the rooftop balcony, including fruit, bread, olives, tomatoes, cheeses, meat slices, eggs, pastries, cereal, coffee, tea, and orange juice, etc. Also each morning, the owner enjoyed breakfast and the view with the guests, greeting us and making sure we had everything we needed. One morning, he shared some delicious lentil soup with us that the cook(s?) had made. I wish they served that every morning! We became acquainted with a few other guests during breakfasts, and also enjoyed chatting with the co-owner/manager(?), Barb. She had so much helpful advice about navigating Istanbul, and was just an overall sincere and friendly individual to be around. We really did feel like guests at a family member's home.

Our last night, we switched to the room we had actually reserved (Room 104). This room was smaller than the previous, one floor below Room 107, with 2 little balconies, but still more than spacious enough for all of our bags and newly acquired belongings. Both rooms had a strong (free) WIFI connection, mini fridges, a large armoire, 1+ armchair, plenty of electrical outlets, hardwood floors with gorgeous carpets, hot water kettle/tea/coffee, and a mirrored vanity with seat. The bathrooms in both appeared to have been recently updated, and both included hairdryers and towel warmers.

I think I preferred the smaller room, only because it wasn't as bright in the morning and we heard less of the noisy seagulls that live in the area. The staircase leading to the rooms is spiral and quite cute, but if you have problems with stairs you might request a room on a lower level - Mehmet will take care of you! When we switched rooms, he (or someone?) moved our bags for us. The staff is all very friendly and helpful, the area is safe, and the hotel, which felt much more like a bed & breakfast, is an easy walk to many fun sights (we walked everywhere: Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, etc.).

When we return to Istanbul, we will stay here again. I am definitely recommending Berce Hotel to my friends and family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My and my boyfriend spend 6 days at berce hotel. The hotel itself is cute and the service is fabulous. But unfortunately it is located at the most touristic area right behind the blue mosque. The area is still nice to visit once or twice to get an impression of the basars and all the touristic attractions but next time ill definitely stay on the other side of the Golden Horn.
Back to the hotel as I said the service was fabulous and most welcoming and friendly. Due to its size of only 7 or 8 rooms it a really familiar atmosphere. The breakfast is good as well but after 6 days I got a little sick of it since there wasn't too much variety.
I believe the rooms are quite nice and spacy as well unless you get the room on first level (my case) this room is a little smaller but still nice. And there is free tee and coffee and a waterboiler in it. :)

• Stayed March 2013
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This small very cozy and wonderful hotel located in the heart of Istanbul really amazing! We felt our self like at home,very good room with three balcony and nice view to the Marmara sea and breakfast is just perfect on the roof overlooking to the sea and the most important is the service they so helpful and kind ) We want say big thank to the manager of this hotel Mehmet Kaya he a very helpful guy so friendly stuff . Would return back!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This small and charming hotel provides excelente service, comfort and hospitality. The rooms are spacious and the breakfast is just perfect. Mehmet and his team are very helpfull, they recommended wonderfull tours with very good people, and we felt very safe with them. Really excelente!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. We wanted to stay in the vicinity of Sultanahmet but at the same time somewhere discreet and affordable. Having visited other hotels, we can assure you this by far is the cleanest. The hotel staff are very polite and the service is brilliant.
Having stayed for such a short time, we were able to see the main attractions in Istanbul and dine at some divine restaurants as we were within walking distance.
Only problem we had were 1) electricity went out twice in one evening (not the hotels fault) and 2) walls were slightly thin.

Nonetheless, thank you Berce Hotel, we will return in due time :-)

Sab & Cem