“Not bad for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #285 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Lagos, Nigeria
“Not bad for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is good for the price apart from wifi. It has regular shuttles to and from the airport, and the staff are very helpful when it comes to helping guests find their way out and about town.
I asked for late checout and it was no problem. You have to pay to watch Tv tho, and for a business hotel theres no free wifi which is usually standard. Also the restaurant downstairs is pretty expensive.
Apart from that its clean, rooms are big enough.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Courtyard_Istanbul, Manager at Courtyard Istanbul International Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for your feedback.

We take all constructive feedback as valuable and look at areas where we can improve.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed there for three nights at Courtyard Istanbul International Airport. The hotel has free shuttle that operates every hour from Airport to the hotel. It takes only like 10-15 minutes and it pretty convenient. If you would like to get into the city center it takes like 50 minutes to one hour, you need to get to the free shuttle to the airport and from the airport take the metro and change one time to get into the city. The ticket one time cost 3 lira, but since we need to change to another line one more time, it cost 6 lira in total for one way. I would suggest you to buy an Istanbul card that you can put the money in and travel around. If you use an Istanbul card, it will cost 6 lira for the card, but every use it will have a discount which I think it save sometimes for you to buy everytime the coin at the coin machine and anyway, if you stay at the hotel, and you would like to save money, public transportation is the best choice. Make sure you come back by midnight or else the metro will close and that you won't have any other choice but taxi which cost like 50 lira to go back to the hotel. The last shuttle back from the airport to the hotel is at 1.30 am though.

Entering the lobby, there is a scanning machine for your bags and body, which is quite interesting since I've never see this security control like this in any hotel. The lobby is simply but nice. You got free wifi in the lobby but not in the room. The room is comfortable and nice. There is one bottle of water in the fridge cost 4 lira but no mini bar. I like the room a lot, especially the bed.

However, there are two negative things I would mention about the hotel is the pre-arrival arrangement. We contacted the hotel personally and let them know that we are five of us and that we booked two rooms with one extra bed in one room, extra towel set for one person more in one room. The hotel replied me in the e-mail said they will prepare it and that there is no worry. But once we reach the hotel and checking into our room, we found out that there is no extra bed prepared and no extra set of towels for us. So that we need to called down to the reception and ask for it. We told them in advance that we will arrive late at night since our flight will be only landing at 23.00 something in the airport. We would really appreciate if we are arriving that late, tired and would like to have a great rest, everything should be prepared already in advance, not that we need to wait like 15 minutes until the extra bed came. And on top of that, the extra bed was not prepared! it came with plain bed and linen. So we need to help the guy to put the pillow case into our pillow, put the bed linen on and so on. I mean..seriously? that's probably the bad impression one would get at the 5-star hotel like this. Moreover, I stated clearly that we would love to have NON-SMOKING room and that, they still put me in a smoking room. I can smell it right away once I get into the room. But since it is too late and we are so tired, so we did not bother to come down and fight for the better room. If they will not care about pre-arrival request, why bother to have it then? just ignore the request and do whatever they want, right? I admit that I am pretty annoyed about this issue. And if there is no such an incidence, I would rate this hotel more.

Otherwise, the breakfast is good, the cleaning is great. I think this is one of the good choice to stay in Istanbul :) There is fitness and swimming pool too, but we did not use it. Since we are always get in town early in the morning and come back late at night to sleep. The staffs some are helpful and friendly, some are really not that nice. I remember there is a guy with the glasses at the reception that is not so nice, forgot his name though. Didn't seem want to help at all, don't know why he works in hospitality anyway if you do not have a service mind. The breakfast staffs are awesome, really appreciate their kindness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Smiley_face1621
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at Courtyard Istanbul Airport for an early morning flight.
Free shuttle each hour on the hour that takes around 10min from hotel to airport. Hotel also offers free hourly pickup service from airport at half past the hour.

It took around 56 lira taxi from Sultanahmet, and it seems like taxi is driving past the airport since hotel is a bit further away.

Our room smelled smokey, but we were sleepy and beds were comfy. Overall a good value hotel with free shuttle to airport. Good choice for an early or late flight.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank trojanlili
Courtyard_Istanbul, Manager at Courtyard Istanbul International Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank your choosing to stay at our hotel.

We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and we would like to thank you for your feedback and review.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

New Milton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was impressed by the front desk service; I had to cancel the second two nights of a 3 day stay and I checked out well after checkout time. Nonetheless there was no complaint, resistance or even talk of a late check-out charge, let alone charging me for the extra nights. Not bad! The room was fine - clean and comfortable and the area was quiet.

Room Tip: I booked direct online on their website - simple and straightforward.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank splashcat
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for taking time in writing your feedback.

We are glad to hear that you was impressed with the service you received and enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Manchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business for 3 nights. Overall I had a good stay and found the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful. They arranged a tourfor me to see some of Istanbul's historic sites on my day off. On m very first day, I encountered two minor maintenance problems: one with the shower head and the other with the door lock. I informed the staff upon my departure for business meetings on my first day. When I returned a few hours later, both items were fixed. While staying at the hotel, I used their fitness center, which had cardio equipment, a few weight machines, and some dumbells. I also took breakfast in the hotel restaurant on the second day there. The buffet was nice, but I felt it was a little bit expensive in comparison to what was offered. I also found it odd that I never signed an invoice for my breakfast. As a Marriott Platinum Premier Rewards Member, I often get breakfast included in my stay at Courtyard Hotels outside the US. In this case, the woman who checked my room number at the restaurant entrance was making other people sign invoices but did not make me sign an invoice. I did not realize that I was charged until I checked out. It was not a big deal, but the charge simply showed up. There was no actual transaction.

I also found the hotel to be a little quirky in other ways. Due to my Marriott Rewards status, I was given a room upgrade, which I appreciate very much. I was not provided a robe or slippers, which I find odd. That is almost always provided. I did not say anything to the staff, but I found it strange.

Some people posting here have commented on the neighborhood. The hotel is a bit isolated, but I was able to eat at two different kepab restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. I did not find the location to be a problem. In addition, I had an early flight outside the normal shuttle bus hours. The hotel had a taxi waiting for me at 4:15 AM, and the metered price of the taxi was less than 20 Turkish Lira.

The hotel had a few quirks, but overall it was a pleasant stay. The hotel is clean; it has nice facilities; the staff is helpful and friendly; the restaurant is good; the location is close to the airport; and the daily rate is affordable. I would gladly stay here again and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Courtyard_Istanbul, Manager at Courtyard Istanbul International Airport, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Greg A

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your place of accommodation and for your feedback.

As we are a Courtyard brand, our hotel unfortunately does not have an executive lounge, for Platinum members we upgrade their room to a superior room and this upgrade includes free minibar and the room if available will be on 17th or 18th floor.

We would like to thank you for your review and hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

During the recent riots in Istanbul, I decided that it was best to stay nearer the airport rather than the city centre so I booked in to the Courtyard Marriott Hotel, close to Ataturk Airport.
It’s a large business hotel done in the typical Courtyard style, friendly and chatty and business orientated.

Reception on arrival was fast and ultra-friendly - a very helpful man who briefed me on what was available. I upgraded (€40) to a top floor room which gave me free breakfast and free internet at a cost less than the component parts!

My 18th floor room was clean and modern, if a tiny bit Spartan and had a view over a building site which was not a problem as I don’t often look out the window. I was told that the rooms on the other side look out over the freeway and the sea in the distance – goodness; I must try that next time. ( I'm back two nights later - stayed in the other rooms - no - the view is no better!)

The room was fine and comfortable – everything, including the Internet worked fine and the bed was most comfortable – I slept really well. They provide the usual amenities, as one would expect.

The facilities are the usual Courtyard stuff, a 24 hour shop to buy things like toothpaste and wine, beer etc., a small two computer pay business centre to do your printing and the like and a large restaurant which we ate in twice and the food was actually good, as was the service.

Not a lot more to say, really – it was a lot cheaper than the City Centre equivalents and because of the unrest in Turkey at the moment, a lot safer. One word of warning – hotels in Istanbul are not cheap – this one cost me US$260 for one night but that is a lot less than you would pay in the city centre. It was not a top quality hotel 5 star place but it was fine, friendly and a good place to stay for a “business night” – don’t think of it for a holiday stay though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CTCTraveller
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank your choosing our hotel for your choice of accommodation and for taking time to review your stay.

We are glad to hear that you was happy with the accommodation and service we had provided.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had an early flight and tons of luggage so stayed here for the offer of the airport shuttle at 5am. Room was clean, large, completely silent even though planes were taking off right over the hotel. Ate at the hotel restaurant.. the dinner buffet was excellent. Staff spoke ok English. Disappointed we had to pay for internet though, a bit of an annoyance. Suggest to hotel management that they include the price of internet in room charge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vacationer102
Courtyard_Istanbul, Manager at Courtyard Istanbul International Airport, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay and for taking time in reviewing our hotel.

All constructive feedback are highly valuable to us and so we always look at ways of improving our services and facilities to please all of our guests.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.