“Stunning View!”

Ranked #112 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Ennis, Ireland
“Stunning View!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Small boutigue style hotel! Great location! Short walk to Hagia Sophia/Blue Mosque/Topkapi Palace. Very friendly and helpful staff. Had a bit small room for a family but with a stunning view of Hagia Sophia!! We would go back again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marthaw_32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Spring, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The location is close to the major sights in the old city, and in a safe area, as well as being a 5 minute walk to the tram station. My room had a view of Hagia Sophia. The rooms are a bit small; the bed was comfortable and the entire premises clean.
What sets this apart from other places that may be more luxurious is the friendliness and care shown by the staff, which is genuine. Aziz, Murat and the others at the front desk were very courteous and helpful.

3 Thank irfanTX
London, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The biggest reason i rated this hotel as poor was because it's not a good value at all... you don't get what you pay for (even though this is a relatively budget hotel)

Let me start with the pros:

1- As other reviewers indicated it's a charming little hotel ... the rooms are cute and nicely decorated ...
2- Location is superb ... right in the middle of everything
3- It's tucked away on a relatively quiet street
4- The staff are really nice and very helpful
5- The rooms are airy with big windows

The cons:
1- Lack of amenities, which is something i honestly never cared about till i stayed in Modern Sultan ... i had to buy everything from soap to tissues ...etc. I also found very annoying the absence of a trash can in the room.
2- There was no closet in the room .. only a small chest of drawers near the door and a tiny rack with exactly 3 hangers ... although this wasn't a huge problem since i always travel light i don't see how on earth a hotel room would lack a closet
3- There wasn't a duvet cover on the bed, and it used to get a bit chilly at night ... there was a thin blanket in the "cupboard" but after using it once i found out it was dirty... so i didn't use it anymore ..
4- The bed was not comfortable ... but that's ok if you don't mind such luxuries ... the only pillow they had was huge and hard which resulted in a stiff neck in the morning ... but after informing the staff they changed it with another pillow which was comfortable but very old and tired ... i didn't complain as long as my muscles were happy ... all in all i haven't had one good night's sleep all through my stay
5- The floor and carpet were very very dirty and dusty ... they weren't cleaned for 7 days until i had to complain ... when i told the reception lady she was very polite and wrote my complaint down and the floor was cleaned immediately
6- The hotel has a green policy so they only change towels and linen every three days.. yet neither was changed during my 9 day stay there ...and when there are only two small towels (one being a bath towel) this becomes a problem
7- The window curtains were more decorative than functional (they were thin) ... the room would light up the moment the sun rises ... i wasn't able to sleep past 5 or 6 am at all
8- Breakfast was the poorest i have ever encountered during my travels ...i know this is supposed to be a somewhat budget hotel ... but honestly they take the word "budget" to a new level ... i had to keep stuffing myself every morning to feel full .. some days i couldn't bear it and had breakfast elsewhere ...
Another problem with breakfast that some people may find irrelevant was that they didn't serve whole wheat bread ... this is a huge problem for people - like me - who cannot digest white bread properly
9- The lighting in my room was poor (only one small bulb on the wall). i like to read in bed before sleeping, but there wasn't a table lamp either
10- The cleanliness of the hotel wasn't as thorough as one would like ... i wouldn't call it dirty buy any means but the daily cleaning was as if done in a hurry

Other tips that some people may find useful
- The hotel has no elevator but rather a very narrow spiral stairs ... until i got used to it my head and shoulders kept hitting things on the wall every time i climbed the stairs
- The breakfast is served in a room right next to the reception area ... there is no outdoor or rooftop breakfast
- The single room (cannot say the same about other rooms) is so small and bathroom so tiny with an accordion door (lack of space for a real door to open) ... the washing basin is so tiny i couldn't wash my face without splashing the floor ... the shower cubicle is also so small that my elbows kept hitting the wall and shower door (i'm not a big girl) ...

I wrote to the hotel as soon as i came back from Istanbul about my complaints ... i thought such issues would be resolved easily if they payed more attention to the level of comfort and service ... i did so because i thought this hotel has good potentials if run properly ... but i haven't received a reply nor an pology

1 Thank HistoryWoman
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our three nights at the Modern Sultan Hotel from 21-24 of May, 2013. We had stayed the previous three weeks in more budget-style accomodations, so this was a step up in every way. The room (#402) had an exquisite view of the Hagia Sophia, as others have mentioned. During breaks from walking the streets of Instanbul, we would sit on the bed listening to call to prayer and staring at the beautiful monument that was perfectly framed by our large open window. Additionally, the hotel staff were incredibly friendly. They seemed to enjoy talking about the city and making suggestions of places to visit. To top it off, we had to leave at 3am on our last night to make an early morning flight, and the gentleman working overnight put out a wonderful breakfast for us at 2:15am so that we wouldn't miss the spread. Can you ask for anything more than that? This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Tx
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel was much better than expected. I stayed here for three nights, and enjoyed the beautiful view of the Hagia Sofia from my room. The rooms were really nice, with a nice size bathroom, sitting chair, lots of amenities. The breakfast was so good, I would go back just for that. The staff was very nice. I didn't see the owners (except when checking out, and passing by in the hall), but the two guys working the front desk/kitchen were so sweet and caring.

The only issue was noise. Now, I am NOT sensitive to noise as I live in a large city and I am used to dogs barking, loud trucks unloading, and other various noises. However, this noise was too unbearable. Part of it wasn't really the hotel's fault. There was construction going on when I went, in the middle of the night (what the heck). This wasn't light drilling or anything, but literally cement blasting at 2 am. This went on ALL NIGHT. I wouldn't blame the hotel for this, except when I asked if it would be going on tomorrow (so I could check in somewhere else) they assured me it wouldn't. Guess what, yeap, it did go on the next night! I am guessing since this hotel is a touristy area, they will always do construction at night to avoid losing tourist business. My only suggestion is to ask beforehand if construction is going on, and pray they are honest with you. The second night of construction I asked the front desk when it would stop, and their reply was, "well, there is a bar in the room next door, feel free to get what you want". LOL, good advice, but even alcohol didn't extinguish the sound of cement blasters. It seemed like major construction was going on, which could take months to finish, so check ahead of time.

My third night here there was no construction, thank God, but since it was Friday the rooftop bar next door had blaring music. After a 20 hour flight, three nights of no sleep, and another flight the next day, I just needed one night of sleep. No chance of that happening. The bar next door continued their music until about 2am. This part I do think the hotel is responsible for, because if they know this happens every week they should not rent out rooms next to the noise on the weekend. It isn't fair to the paying customer.

Everything, other than noise, about this hotel I loved.

I think if the owner had at least come out and apologized about the situation I would have been OK with it, but she pretty much just took my money at the end and said nothing. The guys were much more helpful, and at least explained to me what was going on.

Also, I agree with the other reviewer, that I prefer the Asian side/Kadikoy. However, if you only have a few nights to stay this hotel is perfect, and gives you easy access to all the tourist sites. You can't beat the price. I didn't really see the owners around, but the guys who worked there were very friendly and helpful.

I cannot say whether I recommend this place. I guess you can decide for yourself from my experience. I really enjoyed everything about it other than the noise, and the unconcerned owners.

1 Thank HTownMelBell
Rome
Reviewed May 6, 2013

What has been described in previous comments is true: outstanding position, clean rooms and good breakfast.
I would also add friendly staff, available to solve any inconvinience.
On the other hand, there is no elevator and rooms are acutally not that big. Also materases could be renewed.
There is the possibility of some small noise, being in the Sulthanamet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The rooms we checked into had a great view of Hagia Sophia. The hotel and rooms was nicely decorated. Friendly staff. Good breakfast spread, Location is great as well. 2 minutes walk to Hagia Sophia. And about 5 minutes to Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. All is great except for the beds. I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone who is picky on their beds. But if youre not, then its a good hotel to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family