“What a way to understand the complex floavours of Turkey”
Review of Turkish Flavours

Turkish Flavours
More attraction details
Owner description: Turkish Flavours organizes culinary walks and cooking classes in Istanbul. We take visitors to a real Turkish Home on the lesser visited Asian side of Istanbul for our cooking classes. Our food walks are designed to stroll through local food markets and streets of Istanbul including stops for tastings of Turkish delicacies.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Vancouver, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“What a way to understand the complex floavours of Turkey”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

When people ask me what it is that makes my favorite countries stand out, the food almost always has something to do with it. This shouldn’t be a surprise as travel and food really go hand in hand. What better way to experience culture in another country than by sharing a meal? This is no different for Turkey. Even before my first visit I was told by many how great the food is there. When I questioned these people on what exactly makes the food in Turkey so awesome I could never seem to get a strong argument. Small dishes, cold dishes, eggplant, and meat on spits were common words and phrases in the conversations. None of which was selling me on Turkey as a culinary destination.

I wasn’t convinced.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good kebab. Although tasty, (especially at three in morning) street meat was far from helping me make Turkey one of my favorite places to enjoy a meal. To help me understand why Turkey gets such high marks for its cuisine I decided to take a cooking class while in Istanbul and enlisted Selin from Turkish Flavours to shed some light on the subject.

Selin is awesome. Her passion for food and travel makes her the perfect host for international visitors. She guided us through the Spice Bazaar to give us a background on what is at the root of Turkish cuisine before taking us on a scenic ferry ride to her kitchen in Istanbul's Asian side.

Cooking with Selin was like cooking with family. We joked, drank wine, and tasted – all over our international love of food. It was great. Although we were making several dishes at once Selin’s instructions and approach made it very enjoyable and felt like a breeze. We made an amazing lentil soup special for the cool and wet Istanbul day while prepping our eggplants for the meat stuffing that was already simmering on one of the stoves. We grated and chopped vegetables like a pro – but not as professional as Selin and her rose bud tomato, but still pretty great.

I could go on about how great it was to feel like I had a family in a foreign country and how amazing the food was smelling but really the proof was in the pudding, and by pudding I mean stuffed eggplant, lentil Soup, pastry rolls, salads, and stuffed apricots with clotted cream. It was all so good and so flavorful.

Spending a day cooking with Selin and Turkish Flavors was by far my favorite time in Istanbul – both on the Europe and Asia sides. It’s not often you get the chance to spend the day cooking with someone who makes you feel truly at home their country, city, and apartment. Selin and Turkish Flavours can do just that and more.

Highly recommend for foodies and those looking to feel at home in the largest city in Europe.

For more as well as pictures from the day see here http://www.thislifeintrips.com/reviews/turkish-flavours-review/

Visited March 2014

• Polish first
San Francisco
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“best thing we did on our trip”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

there is so much to do in Istanbul, that it might seem hard to spend most of a day in a cooking class but we were so glad we did. Day started with spice tasting in Spice Market. It was great because going into one of those places can be overwhelming. We really liked the shop we visited and bought tons of spices you can't find in the US. Then Selin personally escorted us to Asian side where her husband picked us up. We spent a beautifully sunny afternoon in her gorgeously decorated apartment surrounded by trees and tweeting birds, cooking 6-7 dishes (mezes, main course split belly eggplant and incredibly pilaf dish). Everything, needless to say, was super deliciously. We ate like pigs and they took us back to ferry and even provided a token and instructions on how to do it. So, much more than a typical cooking class, a bit of immersion into a real Istanbul neighborhood and a good intro to markets of this amazing city. Don't skip the big sites but you will go nuts waiting in the endless lines. Do some interactive travel like this to balance out the Disneyland like lines at Topkapi and other sites. Another thing we really, really enjoyed was the ebru marbling paint class taught at Caferaga Medressesi by a master painter Josh.

Visited May 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We went on both the Cooking class and the gastronomic tour and it was great fun . The Cooking class was very nice learning several turkish recipes in a friendly and cosy home environment . The Market tour was great because our guide Taciser not only was extremely nice but also very helpful and knowledgeable of everything related with Istambul and its food . If you go to Istambul do this!

Visited May 2014
Stuttgart, Germany
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Loved this experience!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have been wanting to take a cooking class in a foreign country for awhile. I'm gad this is the one we chose! Selin was very interesting to talk to and very knowledgeable about Turkish food. I have already replicated several recipes as they were quite simple. The rest of the group were also fun and we enjoyed drinking wine and eating our amazing creations! We had vegetarian per another guests request and the food was outstanding! Must take this class if in Istanbul.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank MarielA1
Alice Springs, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“okie dokie artichokey”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Huge thank you to Selin and Taria for today's thorough yet relaxed and fun spice tour and cooking class. The take home recipe book is excellent and covers so many traditional Turkish dishes. and excellent news for vegetarians...most of the recipes are vegetarian or could be easily adapted. The whole day was incredibly informative, well paced and totally delicious.
Special thanks for picking up artichoke hearts at my last minute request and for showing us to cook them. A fresh spring feast. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2014