“A Great Experience -- A Treat”
Review of Turkish Flavours

Turkish Flavours
More attraction details
Owner description: Turkish Flavours organizes culinary walks and cooking classes in Istanbul. We take visitors to a real Turkish Home on the lesser visited Asian side of Istanbul for our cooking classes. Our food walks are designed to stroll through local food markets and streets of Istanbul including stops for tastings of Turkish delicacies.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Louisville, Kentucky
“A Great Experience -- A Treat”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Selin was amazing. Her Turkish Flavours cooking class was one of the top highlights of our trip (I recommend it highly!). We prepared a full meal under her guidance. While we were chopping and cooking, Selin was offering tips and instructions, plus insights into Turkish culture and cuisine. It was obviously that she has perfected her instructional technique because the class was extraordinarily well orchestrated in every detail -- she knows what she is doing!! (By the way, the class was just me and my female-life-partner, so there were only two of us. The term class may be slightly misleading because it was more along the lines of personal cooking instruction.) If you're into cooking and dining, Selin is excellent resource for teaching you about Turkish spices as well as the Turkish spice palette which is much different than the American spice palette. The next day after our cooking class we had a wonderful, short tour of the Grand Bazaar with Turkish Flavours leading the way. This is essential if you're thinking about serious shopping in the Grand Bazaar. There are so many shops it is dizzying.Turkish Flavours took as to some of the best ones, those shops with quality merchandise.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Brussels
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great gastronomic experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I did the "Spice Bazaar walk and historic Kadiköy market tour with regional Anatolian lunch" a few days ago, and it was one of the best parts of my short (4-day) Turkey stay. First, in the Spice Bazaar, I had the opportunity to taste various kinds of feta cheese, to see different spices and dried vegetables, all explained, then to taste some desserts and spice mixes, to smell various teas, also with explanations about their ingredients and applications. Afterwards, we took the ferry to the Asian side and visited some good dessert shops and the local market (pickles etc.). I bought some food ingredients with Taciser, who helped a lot with explanations and interpreting. Then came the highlight of this tour: the restaurant meal (traditional Turkish kitchen), which was terrific. In total, it was possible to taste about 20 different dishes in small servings (from entrées to desserts), and I found all of them excellent. Before tasting, Taciser described them (what is it made of, how and when you eat it in Turkey etc.). Each one was different, and I really liked the rich, unusual, varied and sophisticated Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern tastes. Later, in the airport I thought of buying a Turkish cookbook, but then I dropped the idea because I thought it is impossible to reproduce this.

Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“One of the best things we did in Istanbul”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We happened upon Turkish Flavours while searching for "things to do in case it rains" - we wanted to be prepared! We could not believe our luck in finding Selin.

Selin's an amazing cook and a wonderful teacher. She welcomed us into our home, and, realizing that our name was Jewish, had a whole Sephardic menu planned for us! It was amazing - my husband's family is Turkish by heritage, and we were tickled to be able to come home and prepare Jewish Turkish dishes for his family. She got us both involved in the whole process and her kitchen is a joy to cook in (not to mention steal bites of delicious zucchini fritters in...) Her menu definitely caused us to be adventurous (who knew you could use chard instead of grape leaves for a more tender, delicious, wrapped bite?!)

Part of the lovely thing about cooking with others is the chance to get to know them in a different way. Selin is widely traveled and incorporates people from all walks of life into her world, and we got to benefit from that - we talked about history, Turkish culture, religion - everything that we could have wanted to know about living in Turkey in the past and present. It was a beautiful afternoon - and it didn't end there! She suggested things for us to do in the neighborhood afterwards (place to shop and visit - which we did!) and the next day, we even met up for an event at the Italian consulate (I told you - she knows everyone in town and all of the events!)

We also visited the bazaar and spice bazaar with Selin, which was wonderful. We'd been on our own, but meeting the shop owners that she has relationships with definitely helped us find some gems that we otherwise might have missed (especially my new favorite textiles shop!) The shop owners that she introduced us to even remembered us when we returned for extra spices and shopping later in the week - truly a warm, kind circle of friends that she has. I cannot recommend highly enough visiting Selin in her home or seeing the city with her! It's a must-do for visiting Istanbul!!

Oh - and I cannot forget to mention that Selin gives you a cookbook! Chock-full of recipes that you can actually create at home!! It's definitely one of our treasured bits from Istanbul, because it allows us to recreate a bit of Turkey at home.

Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Wonderful highlight of a weekend in a mesmerising city”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I did a 3 hour tour with 6 friends and our lovely guide, Taci on a wet Saturday in January. We found it really fascinating, informative and Taci opened our eyes and taste buds to new opportunities that, in a short visit to this mesmerising city, we would not have had time to discover for ourselves - her enthusiasm for food is hard to resist and her knowledge of Turkish cuisine is a wonderful resource for all foodies. If you want to escape the obvious tourist venues, this is perfect - even though there are other tourists in the spice market we were shown aspects that added so much more to our love of Turkish cuisine, and our understanding of its multi-layered flavouring and seasonality. Wish we'd had time to do the 6 hours and get over to the Asian side of the city. Next time!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank milly_9
Tokyo, Japan
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This review is way overdue. My wife and I attended a cooking class at Turkish Flavours on our honeymoon, and it was a great experience. Selin, the teacher, welcomed us into her house where we met our classmates. The whole group was just as excited as us to be learning to make Turkish food. Selin has converted her kitchen into a cooking classroom, making it easy to follow along while she teaches. While you cook she makes sure you never go hungry... She kept pulling out different types of food (olives, sweets, etc.) to let you try.

After the cooking we all sat down for the meal. One of my favourite foods is baklava and I had previously asked Selin if we could make it. She informed me that people don't generally make it; they buy it. I was a bit bummed. That's when she surprised us at the dining table with a big box of baklava--a present for the newlyweds :-) It meant a lot to us and made the whole experience all the more meaningful.

We were VERY glad we did this class and would definitely do it again the next time we're in Turkey!

Visited February 2012