“Highlight of our trip”
Review of Turkish Flavours

Turkish Flavours
More attraction details
Owner description: Turkish Flavours organizes culinary walks and cooking classes in Istanbul. We take visitors to a real Turkish Home on the lesser visited Asian side of Istanbul for our cooking classes. Our food walks are designed to stroll through local food markets and streets of Istanbul including stops for tastings of Turkish delicacies.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Aalborg, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A few days ago we spent a day in the kitchen with Selin, learning how to cook delicious Turkish food. For us, it was a highlight of our trip to Istanbul. There were only three of us in the class and from the moment we arrived, we were made to feel at home. Part of what made this class so enjoyable was that it was held in Selin's home which makes it a cosy experience and maybe something that the average tourist might not be exposed to. The quality of the produce that we cooked with was excellent and the resultant 7 (!) dishes that we made was some of the most authentic, and dare I say delicious, food that we ate whilst in Istanbul.

Visited November 2012

• Polish first
Sidney, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Two great days in Istanbul with Selin”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I find that taking a cooking lesson or two while travelling is one of the most entertaining and informative ways of learning about the culture of the place one is visiting. I looked up Turkish cooking on line and came across Turkish Flavours. I met up with Selin in front of the Spice Market beside the Yeni Mosque, an easy landmark, but her directions were extremely clear. I travel on my own but the group was enlarged by another 3. So it was like a private tour.
We started our leisurely walk through the market, tasting cheeses, olives, little bites of fish, nuts, dried fruit, mussels, rice, sitting down in a spice shop we were given long sticks and tasted spice mitres, ottoman, mixes suitable for veg or meat.. all the time sipping hot apple tea. We continued our tour of this market and then hastened to a ferry to cross over to the Asian side where the market is what Selin said was still a real market, we went into meat shops, and various other places finally stopping gofer lunch at 3 pm.. we had been on the go since 1030. Then the real treat began.. a tasting menus of 20 courses, watching bread puff up in a wood oven, and an array of food all of which was delicious.. The day ended about 1730.. mainly because we lingered over coffee talking.
Then the next day I went to Selins home, which was beautiful, where there were another group all itching to learn some Turkish dishes. There was a good mixture of men and women. We scrapped, cut, cooked and laughed finally sitting down to a wonderful dining room table beautifully laid to eat our food that we had repaired. I came home with a little cookbook, with all my notes in it.. like all good cooks, Selin varies from the written word so it is a good thing to make lots of notes.
It was thoroughly enjoyable and if I had had the time would have attended another cooking class.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank annablast
Austin, Texas
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Food and other stuff”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My nephew and I booked a next-day food tour in the last week of Oct. and got one. We were accompamied by Taciser, went from the Spice Market to the Asian side on the ferry, and learned so much about Turkish ways about food, from cheese, to spice, to baked stuff, to seafood, to veggies, and more! Many of the foods were then sampled in the lunch at Ciya, so good we wished we had two stomachs. Taciser was great and curious about our culture to make the tour even more pleasant. The tips she offered helped us plan the things to do for the rest of the day and saved time and energy for more.

Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Culinary Experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our company recently brought a group of chefs to Istanbul to learn about Turkish cuisine. We started the day off with a cooking class, then headed to the spice market for a tour and a chance to buy all those unique spices we had recently used in the class.
Needless to say - everything was perfect. The food was amazing, the spice market unforgettable, and Selin - she is a wonderful woman.
We will surely return with future groups of chefs to Istanbul, and when we do, we will be sure to contact Selin at Turkish Flavours again!
Amazing Experience, Highly Recommended!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Chefs Cut C
“Turkish Flavours Cooking Class was a great foray into Turkish cuisine”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My sister and I had a great time at Selin's Turkish Flavours cooking class, learning how to make rose boreks and Swiss chard dolmas. We were very lucky and due to cancellations we were the only two people in the class!