Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel
Hotel Amira Istanbul(Istanbul)
$237
$182
  • Breakfast included
Angel's Home Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$35
$121
$118
Hotels.com
$119
$420
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsclose to the airportthe club loungegold spgfree shuttle servicebusiness tripnice business hotelsea viewoutdoor poolataturk airportlobby areahigh floorasian sidean upgradeturkeyold citytaksim squaretaxi
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My plan for the family was to have a short stop in Istanbul with a flight leaving Istanbul in early morning, a luxury modern hotel like this seemed to fit the bill perfectly and undeterred by the negative reviews about the service here I made my booking.

The hotel entrance and the whole building is nothing short of an architectural feat. It is very beautiful and well designed with all the rooms overlooking the sea but that is about the only positive that this hotel has!

When we entered the room (Junior suite) I was greeted with a sofa that had a large chipping on its side, no problem it is only cosmetic. Then I turned on the TV in the living room and thought of watching a movie but that wasn't possible because it was not connected to the internet but I still have that connection in the bedroom, so no problem.

I tried to have a bath, but the bath tap only gives hot water, I tried the shower but the pressure in it is not good enough, still no major problems as I am only sleeping for a couple of days. I went to sleep but then the lights came on! I turned them off and they came on again and again and again (five to six times in total) I am a light sleeper so I woke up before the rest of the family to turn the lights off every time. They use modern electronical switches that seem to have the best looks and the worst quality.

Eventually I was fully awake at the 6:00 am, I changed, went to reception and asked them to change the room, they said we might fix the problem but I didn't trust that this would happen so I continued to ask for a room change. I wasted my day coming back and forth to the reception, by 5pm I got fed up and told them that I am not changing the room.

On my second night the lights didn't come on unexpectedly as the night before but to finish my "fantastic" stay, the room rewarded me with a complete power failure just as I was packing to leave it. Fortunately the phone still had a small charge so I used its torch to finish packing, I lost a lot of time in that and because of problems with my ticket I eventually missed my flight.

There are also some other niggles like the air conditioner which was always warm even at the coolest setting or the noise that sometimes comes from the other rooms or the UK-EU adapter that I had to give a deposit for but didn't work.

I really recommend that you never consider this hotel in your list for whatever reason. There are hotels that are nearer to the airport, like the Gonen hotel that I used for resting between the missed flight and my newly booked flight and that hotel comes with the added advantage of being next to a shopping outlet rather that than the expensive shopping centre next to this sheraton.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank simaosig
Reviewed December 8, 2012

hotel is luxury hotel with extremly very very bad services from reception and room service and house keeping I did reservation for three night and I I wished if I stay only one night the reception give me room with spearted bed which is not my room he promise me to change it early morning but on the morning nothing happened and takes from me 3hourse and lost my day with reception even I takes my lagges with me really very bad service and the reception uncooperative at all any questions you ask they force you to travel agencies which is on their Lobby and they said this is the policy of our hotel and by the way they are theif for the price ...... if you need more info please send me email to salehrbms@hotmail.com

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Saleh B
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have stayed for 6 days. A bit far from the city center. Around 25TL one way by Taxi. There are always ones waiting
in front of the hotel.
Shopping mall within a 5min walk.

Cleanliness, style and standard of rooms is good, plus all of them have a view on Marmara sea. Soundproofing between rooms could be better. Though I was at a non-smoking floor (18th), somedays I could feel smoke of cigarette from nearby room. This is unacceptable.
I have had cold shower for two days...
Laundry service is efficient.

Turkish restaurant in the basement is good and creative, though food is a bit too greasy and there are not much vegetables in the menu... Try the profiterolles as a dessert: beautiful and very tasty.
It is a pity that there is no buffet for dinner at the cook book restaurant. Breakfast is nice.

Wi-fi is chargeable (40€/week) and not very easy to use: need to re-enter credentials at every connection and have had wi-fi breakdown one morning while I wanted to have a tele-conference meeting with customers abroad.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Max L
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel four times over the past 3 years, I usually stay on one of the club room floors. The staff have always been efficient, speak very good English and have obviously been well trained in customer service. While I usually always stay between the 2nd and 6th floors of any hotel (security/fire safety), I through caution to the wind and normally am on the 19th floor here. The sea and city views are excellent, the rooms are always perfectly clean, well appointed and spacious. The bathrooms are very nice, however you will likely flood the part of the bathroom when taking a shower for the first time there. The bathroom is larger then many European hotel rooms, and I appreciate every square foot!

The 24th floor is where the club lounge is, the breakfast there is free and while not the largest spread I have ever seen, it is certainly tasty and hits the mark. The happy hours could be a little better in terms of selection, but it has great views, is comfortable, spacious and the staff are excellent.

There is a free airport shuttle that runs on scheduled, but there are always Taxi's available also. Its about 25TL to the airport and about the same into town (well to the blue mosque area). You could certainly negotiate down a bit, but 25TL is not excessive.

Room Tip: 19th floor club rooms are nice and have great views. They have separate a well appointed modern desk for work, a excellent sitting area to take in the wonderful views and the bed, sheets, comforter and pillows are superb. As mentioned above, the bathrooms are very nice also with the toilet separated in its own room, two sinks, a bathtub and separate shower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Good:
1. room is big and view is excellent (with sea view) and can see sun rising
2. good buffet - breakfast/lunch
3. quiet and peaceful and can walk to seaside (I can have good sleep ^^)
4. early check-in is acceptable as my flight is arrived early in the morning.
5. good services (served with coffee while I am waiting for the room)
5. lobby, restaurant, lift and decoration is 5 star standard
6. not too far away from airport (i.e. taxi about 25 THY)
7. good hotel for business trip

Not good:
1. Receiptionist need more smile (i.e. feel cool when I check-in or check-out) but acceptable. I changed other 3 star hotel but they have more warm welcoming smile~~~feel like home
2. No shuttle bus to Airport (i.e. this is value-added services for 5 star hotel). They did not frequent but at least the available of shuttle bus

Room Tip: select seaview room if available and affordable...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business