“Smelly smoky bedrooms”

Ranked #289 of 1,150 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“Smelly smoky bedrooms”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked a non-smoking room here for a business trip as a colleague was staying here. I arrived to be given the smelliest smoking room I've believe I've ever been in. I marched all the way back to reception to ask for the non-smoking room I had booked. The receptionist said they didn't have any. I asked if I could have anything less smelly and he booked me into another guest's room (the other guest's name was still listed on the TV). This room was still a smoking room and still quite smoky but not unbearable. The bathroom had a few (not many) long brown hairs on the floor, but apart from that, was clean. The room was large and had a good view. The breakfast buffet (not included) was very good.

At night, the hotel's lifts had various lone females in them who were wearing hardly any clothing. They were literally wearing little more than underwear and this style of dress is really unusual for Turkey. Whilst I feel bad for speculating about their profession without knowing more about them, their presence made me feel uncomfortable as a female business traveller.

When I returned home, I filled in a questionnaire sent to me by the Starwood group and received the e-mails below from the Atakoy Guest Relations Executive:

Atakoy Guest Relations Exec to me:
We would like to thank you for your kind interest that you have shown to Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy Hotel and we much appreciate the time that you have taken to complete our guest satisfaction questionnaire. We have just checked your reservation and saw that your reservation was made for a Deluxe Smoking room with two separate beds. We have high occupancy since the beginning of the year and so that we sometimes are not able to change the room types if guests don’t like, even if the reservations were made different type of rooms. Surely, our first aim is to make our guests comfortable when they are staying with u, but as we mentioned we could not give you a non-smoking room because we were fully occupied and there were no available non-smoking room on that day. In this case, please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience that we caused. We again would like to thank you for your kind comments and thank you for your understanding. We hope that this stay will not deter you from choosing us again. If you need any further help, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Me in return:
I’m slightly confused by your e-mail. This is my reservation for a non-smoking room: (details). The hotel was not fully occupied – I was given a key to another empty room when I complained that the first room was smelly.

Atakoy to me:
Thank you again for your email. Please be assured that we have give you another room after your complain, but it was blocked room for another guest. If you need any further help, please let us know.

Room Tip: Book non-smoking and demand it when you get there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Alphaville
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The receptıonıst Kazım treated me lıke a dog because I wanted to go to Club lounge. I dıd not ınform I could go for a fee. The hotel ıs ok but the personal are no frıendly.
I am a spg member for 10 years and I receıve derespet on my stay. The hotel ıs always full and I thınk that ıs why they dont care much about us. We are numbers nothıng else.
For one decade ın spg membershıp program thıs ıs the worse hotel ın treatıng people I have ever passes thru I am very ashamed.But the hoıel ıs a good optıon but the personal ZERO.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Marcelo T
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Located near the airport, and not the first choice to tourists due to its remote location. If your budget is constrained you would have to wait for the bus96T to Taksim, but you should wait forever until it comes. As expected from a five star hotel, there is a variety of restaurants with different tastes and cuisines inc. even Japanese. From my room I could clearly sea a beautiful old garden with thick trees, and the whole marina where private yachts are anchoring. Its garden is really huge and so versatile. My genuine complaint is the Reception staff: arrogant, unhelpful and unfriendly with guests. I stayed for 50 plus days (meaning I am a long stay guest), and it is not appropriate after this long stay to be denied the SPG card, on the pretext that it was my company that settled my bill; which was eventually issued in my name, and when my colleagues threatened to report to Sheraton parent company they mailed them the SPF card. This is just a small example of their crookedness!! In short, I shall never stay there again.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Dina H
Brasschaat, Belgium
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Nice hotel, well situated close to airport within the area, yachtharbour, shoppingmall, restaurants and a magnificant vieuw over the Marmarasea and Istanbul. You can watch the ships awaiting for passage through the Bosphorus and see the marvelous sunrise in the morning. Far away from old city.

Room Tip: Had a clubsuite which was wonderfully furnished with extras
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Magdeburg, Germany
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nice hotel with beautiful Sea of Marmara Veiws and very good amenities. Close to the airport and next to Galeria mall.. Also close to the ferry terminal, nice way to explore Istanbul by ferry. There is a shuttle to Sultan Ahmet, though. Nice health centre and turkish bath..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We picked this hotel for its three tennis courts and carried our equipment with us only to find all three courts were completely unusable. We could have coped with the weeds sprouting but the gravel surface prevented the ball from actually bouncing (were these courts ever usable?).

We wanted to move hotels but they refused to refund our money, not did they offer any compensation.

Also, although it was October it was 26 degrees yet all outdoor dining areas were closed and the swimming pool had just a few sun beds along one side.

The only redeeming factor was the location beside the Atakoy marina where we escaped to find some nice outdoor restaurants.

Room Tip: The club rooms/facilities are worth the extra cost.
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank misstellithowitis
UK
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My previous reviews are testament to this well run hotel. Again on this stay, without exception the staff do a great and consistent job. Given the number of times I have now stayed here, I really can confirm this is a well run hotel.

Of no connection to the hotel, but important for anyone taking a taxi. Be aware of bogus taxi drivers and the €50 note trick. No problem with taxis to/from the Hotel and Airport but coming back from Sultanhmet I nearly get caught out by a dodgy taxi driver. When checking later with an Internet search later, it seems these tricks are pretty common. That said I used maybe 10 taxi trips during my stay and only one problem. Use taxi ranks, check for a Taksi sign on the roof and a number on the vehicle side. All taxis should have meters, very often this is built into the rear view mirror, don't use one without a meter.

Room Tip: Pay extra if you wish, sea view is good!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business