“Good value for your money in downtown area”

Khorasani Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 13,815 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Description: "Ask most tourism representatives, restaurateurs, and waiters in Old Istanbul to recommend a restaurant, and most will offer Khorasani Kebab&Grill and Steak House. This restaurant has been a part of the Sultanahmet gastronomy scene for many years and is famed for its Turkish BBQ (the ocakbaşi), tender kebabs, and freshly prepared mezes. While the menu caters to a range of culinary interests, if you want a unique dining experience then ask to pick out your mezes and kebabs from the kitchen counter and have the chef cook your kebab over the BBQ's open fire inside the restaurant. Another popular dish from the coals of the BBQ is the Testi Kebab. As featured in New Zealand's World Kitchen TV show, this flavored meat and vegetable casserole is sealed in a clay pot, slowly cooked over the BBQ coals, and cracked open before the eyes of diners. Check out the video under "We in Press" on the Khorasani website for more information about the kebab from Central Anatolia. Khorasani also has a great wine menu and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner." Afar.
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner after a long day around Istanbul. Relaxed atmosphere and very friendly staff (they even shared internet access). Tried the cous-cous (so so) and the shrimp stew (much better). After that some lamb grill but meat wasnt very good. Considering the suburb I think is a very good value for your money. Ask for a table outside!

There are newer reviews for Khorasani Restaurant

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant after walking past and being very hungry. The dishes we chose were tasty including lamb shank. Portions were very generous. Service was ok and the staff although busy appeared friendly. Be aware that service charge is added on to the bill at 10%. Would return and try again if in Istanbul.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Found this place in fommer's guide. We were tired and Hungry as we walked out the the Marathon in the Old City. This place is located on a side street (curve shaped) off the main avenue. The Service was outstanding: they recommended me a local wine (and not the most expensive, for once...) and let me try it. The presentation and service were extremely professional. My friend orderer a Pizza (looked off, but was good, despite canned mushrooms) and I had a lamb meal. Didn't LOVE my meal but it wasn't because it wasn't good or wasn't fresh, just didn't fall within my taste.

Other than that highly recommend the place and wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We tried this place based on the hotel staff recommendation. It was our first meal upon arrival in Istanbul. They started by bringing a Turkish lavash bread, we ordered 2 Ottoman main dish, 2 beer and large water.... Ended up paying 120 TL.... Not expensive for North American standard, but that was the most expensive meal we had in Turkey.... Food just average, service is okay though.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I fail to see how this place has good tripadvisor reviews. We visited in August and found that the food was poor and the servers just simply didn't care whether you liked the food or not- so long as they got you in and got their money out of the tourists that was sufficient. The food was very poor: bringing a tray of starters to your table is used in Greece to help you pick but it was used here to sort of force food upon you. We picked the red pepper and walnut dip. It was basically inedible with the consistency of a very stiff and dried out paste. We tried this dip on two further occasions in other restaurants in Istanbul and discovered that the Khorasani version is very very far off! My main was a cheese pancake which was stuffed full of boiled vegetables such as brocolli- it was absolutely worse than school dinners and inedible. I ate one quarter of it and left the rest. When the waiter came to remove the plates he simply didn't care to ask if something was wrong given that I had left most of the dish untouched. As I said, the attitude seems to be: get the tourists in, get their money and get them to leave. My boyfriend's stake was covered in a school dinners type grave and served once again with boiled vegetables like cauliflower...in Turkish cooking???!! Save your money and eat elsewhere. Generally we found Sultanahmet is to be avoided and if you walk just 5 minutes north to the Sirceki district you will find much nicer restaurants for the same price or less.

2  Thank DiscerningTravellerx