See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 23, 2014

This was my third and FINAL stay at Hotel Ida, and things have gone horribly downhill. It is true that it was a simple, "you get what you pay for" place to stay. However, the prior staff were kind and attentive, my room was always clean, though shabby, and I really had NO complaints.

However, the prior staff have all been removed. The new manager is a creepy guy who wasted no opportunity to put his hands on me inappropriately, repeatedly. He used his own key to enter my room both while I was in there (thank heavens I was dressed) AND to go in at least three times while I was gone from the hotel.

The visit started badly when the airport pickup I'd arranged and had confirmed via email was not at the airport when I arrived. I ended up having to take a taxi at extortion rates (50 euro rather than the 25 euro for the arranged ride), and I finally got to the hotel an hour and a half past when I'd made arrangements to meet friends for dinner.

When I arrived at the hotel, the manager said I didn't have a reservation and pointed out my reservation for the following weekend on his booking screen.

I told him I had reservations for two weekends in a row, and showed him the email thread with BOTH sets of confirmations, where he himself had confirmed both dates and both airport pickups, yet he still kept insisting I'd made some mistake

He said he had a room for Friday night, but the hotel was booked full for Saturday night; however if I was willing to stay my second night in the room with a "technical problem" they'd give me that night for free. By this time it was nearly 9pm, and I had few options to find another place, so I took the deal.

Friday night's room was as expected, shabby, but also less clean than their rooms had been in the past. The sheets were clean though, so I just discarded the blanket and collapsed.

The next day, he had me move into the other room -- it was dirty, there were used linens on the bed and in the bathroom, and the bed and floors were covered with ants. The very sweet house cleaning man said he'd do his best with the ants, and would put clean sheets on the bed and leave fresh towels for me. So I left my suitcase in the room and went out to explore Istanbul. I waited until late to return, and was really put off by a deeper exploration of the room.

The ceiling was rotting, covered with mold. The manager's personal clothing items were in the armoir, his bathing sponge and soap in the shower, etc. The shower was just slimy. The toilet seat was up and ... well... gross. The ants were back.

The story gets worse and more creepy and gross, but really -- just avoid it. I ended up sitting on the edge of the bed all night reading a book, to avoid laying down in the bed with the ants, nervously listening to hear if he was coming down the stairs again ... I won't be back.

Room tip: Choose another hotel.
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2014

+++ Excellent location, very close to all sightseeing objects. Also many small restaurants are in the same street.
Very small hotel in a noisy, but fun street. The receptionist was very warm person, willing to help in every possible way.
The rooms are tidy, the towels were changed couple times during our stay (5 nights). We had a sea view room, so the view was really nice.
The only good aspect of breakfast was the terrace with the view, but the breakfast was really uneatable. Oh, the the seagulls as well :))

--- Extremely poor breakfast. No elevator, so quite difficult to get on the 3rd floor with luggage.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank GauGab
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I'm staying in the Ida right now.
I'm in Sultanahmet District of Istanbul for seven days. The Ida is cheap and on the main restaurant/cafe street of this area, about five easy minutes walk from the walls of the Blue Mosque.
The room is small but that is hardly a problem, who needs a big room when your main reason for having a room is to sleep in the bed and wash in the shower?
The room is clean, as is the linen.
The shower area could be cleaner but I am referring to things like the hard to reach corners of wet areas, overall the cleanliness is probably as good as most private homes, but many of us get much fussier when we travel. :)
The room has chest of drawers, a wardrobe with plenty of hanging space, a mirror and a small desk with two small traditional Turkish stools, same as you see hundreds of vendors sitting on in the streets and the Bazaar. There is a tv but I've not turned it on, if you come to this area and are wanting to watch TV, you might be having the wrong kind of holiday for your interests.

My room is 301, up one flight of very narrow and steep steps, no problem for most of us but might be a problem if you have any balance problems or are particularly inclined to clumsiness.
This room looks over the street, the window next to the "Ida Hotel" sign in their photos. My window opens onto that street, I have slept with that window open and the street noise has not bothered me at all, it's not loud or intrusive, but if you are a delicate sleeper, you might want to ask for a room on the back of the building.

Ahmet, the main guy at the front desk has been friendly. He responded promptly to my email inquiries before I arrived here and has answered any of my questions with attention and politeness.

The room does not have a fridge or any facility for boiling water, but with the cafe's outside your door, and the prices, it's a bit like Thailand, it is just as easy to step outside and have someone else serve you as you do it yourself in your room, and sure as hell it's more fun on the streets.

If you are super fussy, then spend more money, there are an astonishing number of hotels and the like in this immediate area, plenty to choose from, but if you live in the real world, where your money does not grow on trees and your standards have some flexibility, then this place is a great, inexpensive way to see the Old Town of Istanbul.

Room tip: 301 is on the street, if you need complete silence to fall asleep, ask for a different room, but I found the friendly, moderate street noise quite soothing as I fell asleep.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank Mikel A
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The 'hotel' in the name is a bit misleading, it's best to consider it a hostel with the benefit of the privacy of your own room and bathroom for the same price as a dormitory.

It really is only just off the main square, at the heart of everything a traveler to Istanbul could wish to see. The downside of this central location is noise. If you are a light sleeper look further afield.

The staff were very likable and friendly. The price is very low, so unsurprisingly the rooms are very much no frills. If you like you hotel comforts then spend the extra money elsewhere. But you pay for there is very little justification to complain.

We were in the basement room, and there were a few ants in the bathroom, so maybe avoid this room.

All in all, ideal for students or backpackers wanting to do things on the cheap and don't intend to spend much time stuck in their hotel room.

Room tip: Perhaps avoid the basement room.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beccy O
Reviewed July 6, 2013

excellent hotel with very friendly staff. value for money was unbelievable. location was fantastic in the middle of a street with plenty of places to eat, drink and smoke shi sha (water pipe) would definitely come back and would definitely recommend to anyone. the rooms were small but with the amount there is to do in istanbul you wont be spending much time in the room. all in all fantastic stay very pleased.

Date of stay: July 2013