“Fake as I wish hell is”

Sultana's Dinner and 1001 Nights Show
More attraction details
Owner description: An evening of traditional Turkish entertainment. The BEST belly dancers in Istanbul, delicious food and fun for all the family. Contact us for current prices and shuttle transfers (no charge for city centre hotels).
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I felt ashame I took my friends to this "show" - remotely reminiscent of Turkish culture. Most of the time - dancing routines were so basic my blood presure dropped - no, seriously going around waving ones hands for quite some time is not my idea of dancing show. Place is a underground bar , food is cold and not tasty, last part were audience takes part is loud and absolutely annoying. And what a price we paid! Still angry I fell for this tourist trap.

4  Thank Pankova

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was in Istanbul traveling with a friend, and she desperately wanted to see a belly dance show. After consulting with the hotel we chose Sultana's, and opted to pay a bit more for an a la carte menu rather than getting stuck with their menu choices on the prix fixe. The shuttle was 15 minutes late, and refused to drive onto the street out hotel was on (a perfectly driveable road, the same one the Pera Palace is on). So we had to follow the driver for a 5 minute walk/run (because we were already late).

The actual show wasn't awful, but was definitely not authentic either. It was basically the Turkish version of Medieval Times in the US. So if you enjoy getting crammed cheek-to-jowl into a room (they want as many customers as it is possible to fit in the space, even if that means lots of heads blocking the view), overly loud, cheesy dancing, and an extremely inflated cost, then by all means go.

We ordered off the menu, but ended up being served the prix fixe menu anyway and not what we ordered. The food was the worst I had anywhere in Turkey. At the end when I tried to ask for the difference in cost back, the manager first told me to ask for a refund at the hotel (where we had paid) though I'm sure they would have just declined. When I pushed the issue the manager tried to accuse my friend and I of drinking 2 full bottles of wine (SO far from the truth, although over-drinking was certainly tempting to get through the evening). In the end he ended up chasing me down and giving me some cash, saying "Now you should be happy." I wasn't. And then to make matters worse the return shuttle dropped us off 10 blocks from our hotel on a street that was unfamiliar to us, leaving us alone at midnight with no clue how to get back to our hotel.

As this was our last night the show caused me to leave Istanbul with a bad experience fresh in my mind, which is really unfortunate given how great the rest of our trip was.

10  Thank emi925
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Good fun night suitable for all ages. Waiters helpful and attentive and not pushy. Value for money with home style traditional food and entertaining floor show- again with traditional dance and music. Definitely designed for the tourist. Nothing flash but I describe the experience as wholesome.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

The group of women I was traveling here was booked here by a tour company. We had belly dancing lessons by a girl who had authentic belly dancing skills upon arrival and then sat down & waited for dinner & the show, I wish we would have gotten out while the getting out was good! The food was disgusting & the belly dancing was not belly dancing at all it was glorified strip dancing!

9  Thank bakerswoodfox
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I went there with group of people from a seminar. It was organized by the seminar organizing team. So I had no choice. I wouldn't go if I had the option. I have to say I agree with the negative reviews. It was for tourists but don't expect to enjoy real cultural event. The food was average. But the worst thing was the price. So trust the negative reviews and go somewhere else.

5  Thank LeoLHR