Open today: 10:30 AM - 9:30 PM
Review Highlights
Definitely not to be missed!

We went on the basis of Rick Steves' suggestion. We were so impressed by the results of our... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
MLStravelerreview
via mobile
A truly fun and delicious cooking class!

On our last night in Istanbul we attended the evening cooking class. Rocco and his chef were... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Dominic C

Recommended experiences in and around Istanbul
from $67.31
from $78.53
from $100.00
from $56.09
More Info
All reviews cooking class turkish cuisine cooking experience cooking school cooking course chef rocco stuffed vine leaves highly recommend this class stuffed eggplant learning how red lentil afternoon class ottoman dishes great class imam bayildi minced meat farmers market
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Searched online for cookery classes before travelling and found Cooking a la Turk, it was very close to our hotel in Sultanahmet. Called in and booked a class and met the lovely chef Nazli. When we arrived for the afternoon class owners Leyla and Rocco welcomed us, sat and chatted and served drinks before we started. Once in the kitchen under the direction of Nazli, we set to work creating a feast! She is very funny and a great teacher. We cooked a lentil and bulgur wheat soup, stuffed aubergines, courgette and cheese fritters, stuffed vine leaves and finally, lovely semolina cakes with nuts in syrup. Once we had finished cooking we sat in the restaurant and enjoyed the fruits of our labours. We had great company that evening and the time flew. We came away with all the recipes which I have made use of a few times, also some restaurant recommendations complete with map and directions from Leyla.
Would recommend taking a class here, I try and do one wherever I can and this was one of the best I have attended.

Date of experience: August 2019
3  Thank milliemiggins
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My girlfriend got me this cooking class for my birthday, and it was brilliant. I am a Travel Writer, working for The Sunday Times in the UK, and I can say that this is one of the best experiences I've had travelling...more in-depth and detailed than your average 'Tourist cook class' Rocco and Leyla, and their brilliant team of local cooks/chefs, created a fun, informative and informal experience. We not only learn about the history of the food (Rocco being a professional chef, along with the Turkish chef who's name has sadly escaped me, but who was clearly a skilled chef) and of the culture, but of Rocco and Leyla themselves. I felt like I had known them both for years, actually, and by the end of the evening, the rest of the class too. The great aspect of this class is that after having cooked the full, three-course meal, we sit down in the restaurant part of the building and eat it all - with glasses of wine (nicely complementary/part of the class cost) and coffee in the end. I was very lucky that it was my birthday, and the team brought me a fun little cake and made me cut it with a huge kebab knife, which was very funny, and I think shows just the kind of fun and informal atmosphere the guys created. I would highly recommend this class, and indeed the restaurant. It was the best food we had on the entire trip - from five-star hotels to street food. Eat here, and support this family-run local business.

1  Thank SurferDudeJonnie
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We absolutely loved the cooking class with Leyla Rocco and the team! It was simple and delicious - probably the best meal we had while in Turkey too. Leyla was also super helpful with suggestions of what we can do for the rest of our time in Istanbul. We can not recommend this class enough!

Reviewed September 10, 2019 via mobile

Thank you for the wonderful experience! We booked the cooking class one day prior and luckily there were availability for my wife and I to join the class. Both the hosts and other guests were super fun and we had very pleasant conservation talking about food, wine, and travel tips. Layla gave me two large glasses of amazing local Turkish red wine. And we finished off with Turkish coffee. It was a very memorable experience! Love it!

Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

We saw this listed in Lonely Planet p. 115 & after reading the description thought there was no way we would get in: Friday night, no reservation, dinner time. It is a quiet little place up 6-7 stairs over a bright grocery. Outside the street is loud and in your face. Once inside, calm settled over us and we are shown to our table. Two menus are presented. We were able to choose some items from each menu. 4-5 courses are presented. The soup - I could have been happy ending right there. So delicious and spiced perfectly for my palette. Next stuffed eggplant or a pancake with accompanying sauce. Just amazing.
We both ordered the stuffed grape leaves: up to tonight, I’ve been so disappointed in Turkish grape leaves. Last night they came out of a can with congealed olive oil looking up at me. And stingy portions.
Here they were made to order in a delicate sauce that we soaked up with pieces of bread. SIX pieces! And not just rice: they contained meat as well.
Lastly dessert. We both had the semidried fig, stuffed with walnut pieces. OMGosh! It was not the sickly sweet dessert we have been used to: just a slightly lingering sweetness and the perfect finale to an outstanding meal.
Our hostess gave us interesting tidbits of history about several of the dishes.
Music: beautiful Turkish music which she carefully selects. She also does a Turkish Food Tour which lasts a full day AND offers cooking classes.
At the end of our meal, we were not stuffed like we’ve been in so many Istanbul restaurants: we were pleasantly full. Just right.
This is a hidden GEM. Possibly needing some outdoor lighting: twinkle lights? to bring our attention to your door.
Sadly, we were the only people in the place.
We were astounded by the food. I highly recommend.