“Good fun. Good food. ”
Review of Cooking Alaturka

Cooking Alaturka
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking Alaturka offers daily Turkish cooking classes, either from 10:30 to 14:30 or from 16:30 to 20:30, to groups ranging from 2 to 11 persons. You cook five authentic Turkish dishes together with other travellers, under supervision of Rocco and his Turkish chef. Our classes are hands-on and fun, as well as informative. They are suitable for both professional chefs and kitchen novices. Afterwards, enjoy your cooking efforts over lunch or dinner with some local wine. We also function as a regular lunch and dinner restaurant, offering a daily-changing four-course menu. Reservations are recommended due to limited space.
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

This cooking class is good fun and informative. The session lasts 4 hours, and that includes cooking time and lunch / dinner where you get to eat what the class has prepared. Maya and the chef were good fun and made sure everyone got their hands on. I only marked it down slightly as I would have preferred to make dishes individually rather than as a group where you were responsible for one job. However, I recommend this for anyone interested in cooking or eating!

2  Thank kama0529
There are newer reviews for Cooking Alaturka

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I took the class last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. We both cook at home quite regularly, but we still learned several nice prep tips and shortcuts. The recipes are pretty straightforward and well explained in the handouts. The food was so good we actually thought about going back another night just for dinner, but eventually opted to try another recommendation. We will likely do this again when we next visit Istanbul.

2  Thank Samuel_Hanson
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I attended the class on 23dJune 2014 with 4 others. Unlike some other classes, this was real hands on. Both Eveline and her chef were present to guide us. We cooked five dishes and all were tasty but easy to make. i am still traveling and looking forwards to trying these when I return home. At the end of the class we had a lovely sit down meal with wine, juice or water and my favourite Turkish coffee ended a lovely morning. I would thoroughly recommend this class for any one visiting Istanbul and have a love for cooking.

2  Thank SiroAuckland
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I attended the cooking class while on holiday in Turkey. We had a great afternoon with 4 others in the class. We learnt a lot about Turkish cooking and the ate our efforts. Eveline and her husband George were good fun as was Feyzi the chef who doesn't speak much English.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

With due regard to the glowing reviews by others, somehow our experience was quite unsatisfactory and would highly recommend against for any of our friends. My wife's life-long hobby has been gourmet cooking and thus was most interested in learning about the highly reputed Turkish cuisine. What we found is the cooking school’s principal business is a restaurant with fixed menu offerings, and what the class attendants do is prepare the food for that evening’s patrons. Ok, no big deal. But for us the main dissatisfaction came from the owner’s seeming disdain and discomfort with anyone’s questions and her zero interest in building rapport with and among the nine participants. While the class plus dinner was advertised as four hours, ours dragged on for closer to six hours. For us this was an absolute waste of an evening in Istanbul, let alone the wasted money!

1  Thank rodrigt
cookingalaturka, Owner at Cooking Alaturka, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

I am really sorry to read your review. It has come as a great surprise. In fact, had you not mentioned Rick Steves in your other reviews, I would have assumed this was a fake review! We have had RS clients for years and they have always raved about our classes, in fact, it was the readers who got us into the guide.

Unfortunately, I can't give context to your situation, since there is no mention of the food, our chef, your fellow-participants, or other details...

All I can say is that there is not one class where I have not happily replied to any questions, nor is there any class where I don't sit with my guests. Not only that, I actually aim to spend a balanced amount of time with each participant or couple, and if we have a large group (such as 9 as you mentioned), I even move my chair to the other end of the table midway the lunch/dinner, so I get to talk to everyone and so that everyone has a chance to ask any further questions that they may have.

Obviously, something else must have happened that displeased you, and I wish I knew what it was. I have only positive recollections of the classes conducted in May (or any other month for that matter) and I haven't taught any classes of 9, another mystifying fact.

As for the time "wasted", no one forces anyone to stay 6 hours, it merely means you must have had a better time than you like to portray because it is easy to leave once the food has been served. I would understand if you complained the class was shorter than promised, yet not the other way around!