“Very worthwhile” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooking Alaturka

Cooking Alaturka
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking Alaturka offers daily Turkish cooking classes, either from 10:30 to 14:30 or from 16:30 to 20:30, to groups ranging from 2 to 11 persons. You cook five authentic Turkish dishes together with other travellers, under supervision of Rocco and his Turkish chef. Our classes are hands-on and fun, as well as informative. They are suitable for both professional chefs and kitchen novices. Afterwards, enjoy your cooking efforts over lunch or dinner with some local wine. We also function as a regular lunch and dinner restaurant, offering a daily-changing four-course menu. Reservations are recommended due to limited space.
Amman, Jordan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very worthwhile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I spent 5 days traveling by myself in Istanbul in May, and the cooking class--a wonderful experience on its own--was also a welcome relief from crowded museums and waiting in lines to get into museums. It's super easy to sign up for a class via email, and the class itself is very well run. There was an interesting group of other people participating, and at the end, we got to enjoy the results! Very tasty.

Visited May 2013

madcity
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A fun way to learn a few turkish recipes !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

A very nice evening was spent exploring Turkish cooking. Evaline is very lucky to have the chef. He really made the whole evening. (we had 4 people). Although Evaline is probably a good cook, it is really the chef that showed most of the culinary secrets and added humor to the whole production. Modern, clean, and well-equiped kitchen! Evaline seemed pre-occupied...checked cellphone, did some bookwork, while we were cooking. She didn't stay to eat with us, as she had other plans. We were given 2 glasses of wine with our $160 US charge. I have been to other cooking schools and most everyone provides a bottle of wine to have with your dinner. We ended up making the food for the whole restaurant (about 12-16 tables), so she really has her "business model" down. The other couple was nice so that made dinner pleasant. Felt she should have provided a bottle of wine per couple and/or a signature apron or something for such a high charge. Overall, it was fine.

2 Thank wine&*vines
cookingalaturka, Owner at Cooking Alaturka, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I’m glad you enjoyed your class and sorry you felt I was preoccupied, for that certainly was not the intention. In the entire month of July, this was the only night I left a little early to have dinner with friends and family, since we hadn’t had a class booked until the very last moment. The other two guests signed up that morning and you a few hours later, so I assumed you’d understand I might have made plans by then and that you would enjoy the personal attention that comes with being just 4 in the class. I taught this class the same way I always do, not leaving out any instructions, tips or anecdotes. Afterwards, I sat with you for a full hour at the dinner table, enjoying some nice chats and wine together, answering any questions you had, while also explaining that my partner and I had my 14 year old stepdaughter visiting from the US and that we don’t get to go out for dinner much. Seeing you were having a good time with your class mates, I felt quite comfortable leaving a little earlier than usual.

My role is to teach the class, I don’t promise to sit through the entire meal, although I practically always do, this being the most fun part of my job naturally – I love talking to all our wonderful guests!

Having Feyzi is not just being lucky. It was a conscious choice on my part to hire him. Our roles and personalities complement each other. The idea of being two people teaching rather than just one is that I can actually pick up the phone and write an e-mail reply when necessary. Had I not done this that morning, I would not have been able to take your reservation. Our guests rave that I answer their e-mails so quickly, but with two classes per day, there are no miracles. I have to answer whilst teaching a class to take reservations for a next class. Obviously, our business is too small to add an army of operators and secretaries.

As for the wine, we choose quality over quantity. For five consecutive years we ran on a 60 Euro class rate, despite the fact that our costs have practically doubled since then. I recently raised it to 65 Euro, mainly because I decided to upgrade our wines. Wine is expensive in Turkey, due to high taxes and limited production. You were informed during the reservation process that the rate included 2 glasses of wine per person. We pour 5 glasses out of one bottle so with 4 glasses included per couple we are not far off your suggested amount. Nevertheless, I totally understand someone might want a 3d glass of wine. That’s why I offer everyone the option to buy an extra glass at a discounted class rate of 10 TL, half of what most restaurants charge for that particular wine. And,... I did make sure Feyzi served you our little signature cocktail with your Turkish coffee at the end of the evening .So, I'm sorry I left a little earlier, but it's good to know you enjoyed the class and dinner regardless and we hope to see you back sometime in the future!
Palmerston North
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Thoroughly worthwhile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I found Cooking Alaturka in the Lonely Planet and what a great decision it was to sign up for a class. The owner Eveline was very prompt and helpful in replying to my e-mails and I was made to feel welcome from the outset. I took an evening class (which lasted from 1615 to about 2130 in the end), combining the right amount of hands on and explanations. And of course, the food and wine were amazing! I highly recommend this as an insight into Turkish cuisine, as well as a great way to meet fellow travelers.

2 Thank 1985Dan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This turned out to be so much fun. Even my 12 year old son got really into it. I appreciated how the chefs had him participate like any other student. The recipes and preparation were so practical. You could really see yourself making these dishes at home without the need to expensive cookware or learning complicated multi-step process. Vegetarian options were available for us. The end dishes were delicious and you get to take the recipes home. I’m looking forward to trying to reproduce these dishes on my own this weekend.

1 Thank Emerald_City_Gal
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a keen cook this was the BEST cooking class I have ever been to. The fact that another couple can arrived for their third lessons says it all. Eveline is extremely knowledgeable and incredibly patient. She was very understanding of my dietary needs.

The kitchen: fantastic and well equipped. The assistant chefs knew their stuff and were giving lots of tips to us novices along the way. I hadn't realised that we were cooking for the restaurant guests that evening but we produced food that looked and tasted amazing....I felt pretty proud being able to produce food good enough for other people to eat.

Considering we got an great 4 hour cooking lesson, recipes to take home, a delicious 4 course meal (much more than you can eat) with friendly service, excellent wine and coffee or tea it was an absolute bargain. I left feeling like I had learnt a great deal and very satisfied, what more could you ask for??

Thank you Eveline, until the next time