“Excellent accommodation for a family or small group” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Istanbul Amedros Home

Istanbul Amedros Home
Ranked #24 of 1,173 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent accommodation for a family or small group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

IstanbulSuiteHome.com is in old Istanbul, less than a 5 minute walk from the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, and the main street with tram station. This is an apartment with full kitchen, one bathroom, two separate bedrooms with two (joined) single (US=twin) beds in each room, large closets and opening windows. A hide-a-bed is in the livingroom, so could potentially sleep six. One large bathroom with shower. The usual bin (emptied daily) for toilet paper, which is the case throughout Istanbul.

The kitchen has clean and new appliances and furniture (IKEA!); livingroom has two couches, fresh plants, TV, etc. We stayed on the second floor. There is a roof deck fully appointed with mini kitchen and an outer deck with patio furniture - all with a beautiful view over the Sea of Marmara.

Don't be concerned about the area, which looks a little run down. It seems perfectly safe and there is a live in caretaker - lovely person but minimal English. Apartment building itself is securely locked. There are two grocery/green grocery stores open long hours across the street which is convenient, and there are a number of places to buy prepared meals nearby (eat on the roof top with the sunset!),. Nice bonus for longer stays is a reliable airport pickup-delivery.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank nunavutlightp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were 02 adults and have stayed 08 nights in De Luxe apt 1. Our choice proved to be perfect as the apt is centrally located, close to all the main historical attractions. Nice restaurants, public transportation and supermarkt are also within walking distance. Our host Burham was waiting for us upon our arrival, which occurred around 1:00 am of a Sunday. And to complete our good surprise he had provided fresh fruits, coffe, tea, cheese and bread, all the "survival kit" necessary for us after waking up in the morning. We were even gifted a bottle of an excellent Turkish red wine. We strongly recommend Istanbul Suite Home, as a very nice place for Turkish holidays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mdsf64
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in apt 5 on the top floor for 3 nights in June. We flew into Sabina Gokcen Airport and the owner arranged the transfer for us. Our driver was at the airport waiting for us. The journey took over an hour because of the amount of traffic but the driver supplied us with water (it was very warm outside). We arrived at the apt and was greeted by a superb host to show us to our "home" for the next 3 nights. Amazing welcome package, including wine, milk, bread, butter, fruit, etc etc. There were 5 of us so our daughter slept on the very comfortable bed settee in the lounge. The view from the balcony was super, and even better from the roof top terrace! All in all a super stay - we were only sorry when we had to move on. The shops across the road sold essential items at extremely reasonable prices so no need to walk far with your shopping. All in all a 5 star stay and when I return again we will not stay anywhere different. Thank you Yuksel - a beautiful apartment in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Apartment 5 on the top floor. Three flights of stairs but well worth the climb for the view from th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Annabella17
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

My family of 4, comprising of two teenagers had been to Istanbul last week. We stayed at the Istanbul Suite Home. Its a serviced apartment. Very well furnished, airy and comfortable. We were given the 1st floor and then moved to the apartemnt 5 which was the top floor. The view of the sea is beautiful.
Despite the climb up, the call of the sea gulls, we enjoyed the stay. The Staff of which we met only Mr.Burhan who was always available to us and the cleaning lady.
It is also a point to note that this place is hardly 5 minutes walk from the Hippodrum, Blue Mosque and Sultanahmet area.
Good place to stay if you have kids and want more space than just a room!!

Room Tip: Apartment 5 is the best!!! Good view!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Seths68
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Because we booked our week in Istanbul relatively late, we had to move from apartment 1 to apartment 5 after two days. Both have their advantages. Apt. 1 appears to be in the basement, but the house is built on the side of such a steep hill that it has a balcony, with a little garden further down again. Only one bedroom, but my daughter assures me that the sofa was very comfortable. Apt. 5 is the highest, three flights up from the entrance with no lift, but it has two bedrooms and the view from the balcony over the Sea of Marmara is terrific, just the place for sitting with a gin and tonic after a hard day beating the streets or hopping from foot to foot in the Grand Bazaar while other family members haggle over copy Celine bags.

The cleaner and Burhan, the owner's rep., are very helpful (the water heater packed up on day 2, but was fixed by the time we got back from our day out), but Burhan may sometimes appear to understand more than he actually does. We thought we'd booked a taxi back the airport with him, but when it didn't turn up he swore that we hadn't; fortunately he got one for us within fifteen minutes.

The house is in a side street, which looks the tiniest bit run down on first inspection, but is no different from a lot of Istanbul away from the main tourist honeypots. The 5.45 call to prayer is a bit intrusive, and is probably more so since the muezzin gave up climbing to the top of the minaret and relied on a recorded message over a loudspeaker instead - but if you don't want this sort of thing, what are you doing in a Muslim country? The main thing to note is that it is a steep climb up to the main road, Divan Yolu, along which the trams run; that and the absence of a lift means that this is no place for the short of breath.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ian C
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I planned a five-night trip to Istanbul in March and wanted to be in the heart of the tourist area to take in all the sites and do some serious carpet shopping. While there are tons of little hotels in the area, I always prefer to rent an apartment and from the reviews on the net I was encourage that this was the right place... and I was not disappointed - Istanbul Suite Homes was the PERFECT answer.

I selected the top floor apartment (#5) and it was totally worth the climb up the stairs (actually only 3 flights) because in the morning I woke up to a breath-taking view of the sea spread before me. I loved listening to the "call to prayer" as the apartment is nestled not too far from two mosques.

The unit was quite modern and felt clean. It has everything you need for a short stay - I was so tired at night from carpet shopping that I often ate dinner at home. It was fun having extra space and not feeling cramped.

The staff was very concerned that I was happy - they were there to welcome me and show me how everything worked. They held onto my luggage while I went off to Cappadocia so I was able to retrieve it on my return.

From a value point of view this is a great deal if you need two bedrooms. I was on my own, but decided to treat myself because you only live once... I did have friends come by for drinks - and they were quite impressed.

I will definitely stay here again when I return to Istanbul - and consider it my new home!

PS>>> I did NOT find the big carpet I was looking for, but had a great deal of fun searching, I think I actually tired out the carpet sales people.

Room Tip: The top floor unit #5 is worth the few extra dollars and the walk up... go for it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank DianeAngelaDrey
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

My daughter and I spent 9 nights in Istanbul and booked this apartment (Apartment 3) as we were able to have the space of a bedroom each. We arrived after dark with the complimentary transfer from Istanbul's second airport, on the Asian side of the city. It was lovely to have someone waiting at the airport to help us with our bags etc.
Our initial impression after driving through the narrow streets of Sultanahmet was that it was down a small dark street and I wondered if I had made a mistake in staying here. We were met at the apartment by Burhan and he marked the map with a route to the main street and assured us it was safe for us to walk around the area. Sure enough after a 5 minute walk we arrived on one of the main thoroughfares (Divan Yolu) which has a tram service running along it. Along here we could easily walk to the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace and easily catch the tram to the Spice Bazaar and over the Golden Horn to Taksim and the Dolmabahce Palace. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from and we really enjoyed having the space of the apartment to return to each evening.
There was free WiFi internet available, as well as the welcome pack that meant we could manage breakfast without any problem the next day. There is a small store at the end of the street where you can buy fresh bread each day for the amazing price of 50 TL (approx 25c Australian) as well as some basic fruit and veg.
Our only reservation about the apartment was the quality of the curtains. There are street lights just outside the bedrooms and the rooms remain quite bright through the night, as the curtains are quite basic. My daughter ended up buying some bull dog clips and using one of the bedspreads over her windows so she could sleep. There is a nearby mosque (with loud speaker) so light sleepers may find the early morning call to prayer a little disturbing however it did not wake us after the first morning, and this is really part of the experience of Istanbul.There is no laundry facility in the apartment, but a large sink does well for hand washing clothes.
The roof top terrace is very well set up and during the warmer months I would think would be very popular with a fantastic view. On our last day the sun came out and the terrace was fabulous.
When booking tours that include pick up from hotels, none of the agents know this apartment, however there is a hotel next door called the Blue Istanbul Hotel and we gave this as our pick up address, and waited outside.
The value of the apartment with only 2 people is OK- similar to a reasonable hotel, (with a lot more space) but I think for a family of 4, it would be pretty much unbeatable value.
On the whole I would strongly recommend this apartment, especially for longer stays in Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family