“Good hostel in a very touristy area.”
Review of New Backpackers

New Backpackers
Ranked #166 of 1,246 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed in a private room with a double bed. The room was nice, the staff was exceptionally nice. The only downside to this hostel, for us, was that the hostel is located in a very touristy area. It was very difficult to walk down the street without being hassled by every restaurant host. Also as a result of all the tourists, the street remained loud until early in the morning- especially on the weekends.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was in a private room first, and am in the dorm now...the staff has been friendly and nice, and has been helpful with asking things for wifi and to use a phone, etc. The area is really great, with fun bars and a great cafe on the corner. Surprisingly great-behaving, tail-wagging dogs too sometimes walk by along the street late at night sometimes, mostly fed from the other side of the street. It's really fun here even late at night.
The staff was great and are really fun people!

Overall definitely a good stay!

Room Tip: Private room is the best over the street, really nice time there for sure and was like a hotel
Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

In the morning of 26 April we arrived at the hostel (we had reservation for 3 people for the night; also 5 more friends arriving on the next day, 2 of us leaving). The guy at the reception set us comfortable, let us use internet and offered us tea while waiting for the check-in time and seemed great and really friendly. What a wrong first impression...
We were accomodated in 10-bed mixed dorm, just down the stairs, no door. We took a shower, went for a walk (1 pm) and then went back to the hostel and to bed quite early (about 9 pm) since we arrived by night flight from Israel after an exhausting trip in Jordan. The dorm room was fully booked that night. The next morning three of our roommates complained that their money were missing from the lockers. And the reception guy acted in an extremely offensive manner, accusing me and my frineds of stealing! No evidence, no rational reason - just that we were in the room by ourselves the longest time. Oh, and we were from Bulgaria, and when trouble happens it's usually people from my country!
I cannot explain how affected and stunned I still feel about it. I have travelled a lot and have never been subject to that kind of insulting and unprofessional behavior.
We are all respectable people working in the management of big companies and far from the idea of stealing someone's pocket money... The funny thing is that no one was interested in calling the Police! Neither the guys with missing money nor the hostel staff. Yet we offered that a few times, having no other way to protect against the rude and groundless accusations.
And this is not the end of the story! The guy from the reception was totally unable to keep his temper, made us leave immediately and refused to accomodate our friends that were just arriving and had a valid reservation through hostelbookers! We were not refunded the 10% advance payment, we were not offerred an alternative place to stay. Just let out on the street. All hostels were fully booked, we couldn't find anything last-minute so we had to go through the trouble of rescheduling tickets in order for the whole group to travel that night. Out Istanbul experience was totally ruined!!

To anyone that might consider staying in this place, I would recommend not to! I have no words to describe the awful manners of the staff and the unbelievable way we were treated - obviously the easiest way to cover the poor security of the place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Tanya N
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My sister and me stayed there for 10 nights and we were absolutely happy about this decision. Our room (private with bath) was beautiful, clean and cheap, the breakfast was very tasty and the hostel itself is located at the heart of the historical city, next to highlights like the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque or the Topkapi Palace.
But the best things about this place were the great atmosphere and the guys who works there: very nice, funny, warm-hearted and helpful. After a day filled with tourist-stuff like sightseeing tours or strolling through the bazars and differents districts of this great city we felt like coming home in the evening. Just having a little chat, sharing a shisha or going out together - being guest there is like staying with friends.
We had an amazing time there and can really recommend this hostel! But please, leave one room for us, because we're definitely coming back!
Christina, Germany

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christina P
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

First thing is really cheap and rooms are really clean breakfast is perfect for free .location is great you can go any historical places by walking you get back more than you pay when we visit Istanbul definitely we go back there again

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed with my girlfriend recently. New Backbackers was perfect for our needs. The room was extremely economical yet still had a great amount of charm. It was clean, spacious and well decorated with a large window looking right out on the historic district. The location is simply perfect. The staff of the hotel is very friendly and accommodating, ready to help with directions, reservations, and recommendations for shops and tours. The restaurant connected with the hotel provides the perfect atmosphere - a great place to stop for an afternoon drink or dinner, or come down for a late breakfast, all steps from your room. While there are many hotel options in Istanbul, this is one of the best for the experience and goes easy in the wallet....a real hidden gem!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that look onto the street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A great hostel close to all the major sites in Istanbul. It is clean, safe and attracts a good crowd.
The best art is Hakan and the other guys that run the hostel, they make it feel like home and not just another place to stay. They are super friendly and helpful, directing me to the best places to go and eat. The food that they have available is pretty good too.

I loved that the owners had the time, just to sit and chat with me and make sure that I was getting the best from my trip and that I was simply happy. It is quite refreshing when you are travelling alone.

As a single female, I also felt really safe staying here.

I will be coming back, guru suruz!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo