“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We LOVED the TomTom Suites. The hotel is classy and beautiful, full of sleek modern design and eye-catching artwork. Our room was spotless and comfortable (although a tiny bit smaller than I thought it would be based on the pictures on the website. By contrast, the bathroom was HUGE!) The shower was spacious, hot and powerful; the bed was a dream. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Really, my only complaint about the room was that the toilet tended to gurgle all night long, so we always had to make sure the bathroom door was shut. I think bad plumbing is just a fact of life in Istanbul.

The staff of the hotel is incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. Most of the people working the front desk spoke perfect English; the one guy who wasn't anywhere near fluent still tried his utmost to communicate with us effectively, and it was fine. My only quibble with the service was that although I had confirmed my reservation 2 days before arriving, they didn't have it in their system when we got there. They asked if it could be under any other name, and I said no. It turns out, they had the reservation under my husband's name (we have different last names), which I found to be really surprising, given that my husband had had no communication with the hotel prior to our arrival - I did all the planning and made and confirmed the reservation myself. The only reason they even had my husband's name was because their online reservation form had asked for the name of any other guests who would be staying in the room. So they took his name from that form and put the reservation under it! The only reason I can think that they would do this is because he is the man, and that is kind of offensive to me! But I guess that's how things are done in Turkey.

The breakfast was really good, the scones and fresh orange juice were amazing! The breakfast terrace is really nice, with great views. Also, we really liked the iPads that were available for use during breakfast. After reading great reviews of the hotel's chef, we decided to eat dinner there one night, but were a little disappointed. The food was very expensive, and while our entrees were delicious, neither of us enjoyed our starters. However, our waiter, Ramazan, was an absolute delight, and the chef even came out to greet us.

The location of the hotel was awesome. It's literally a 5-minute walk downhill to the tram stop and then a 5-10 minute tram ride into the old city. The uphill walk back up to the hotel is really not that bad. The main street off of which the hotel is located is bustling and a nice look at Istanbul life away from the main tourist areas. The hotel itself is on a quiet side street that feels very safe, given that the Italian consulate is just steps away.
Also, the hotel is located a quick walk away from Istiklal Caddesi, the major pedestrian shopping street in Istanbul.

Overall, this is a great place to stay, and we would definitely come back.

3 Thank Jemma64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kansas
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Tomtom Suites was a real winner. Loved the location, the room was magnificent, modern, spotless, quiet and huge. I gave the bathroom a perfect 10. Great TV with some real channels, not just news channels in English. It was so hip that they gave us iPads to read the newspapers on in the morning at breakfast. The staff was also helpful and nice.
My one complaint....walked into the downstairs bar one evening and asked for a shot of vodka on the rocks---the charge was 32 TL--yikes.

2 Thank bbbuckles
Albany, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my family (2 year old daughter and my wife) plus my parents, total about 7 nights.
TomTom Suites is exceptional. All the staffs have been so polite and helpful all the time, foods were great. We are rarely impressed by hotels, but, this time - the hotel made our trip so much more memorable.
The Turkish hospitality is none to second, at least at TomTom.

There's independence street, about 5 mins of walk from the hotel up the hill - it was great to hang out there until midnight, filled with young crowd and lots of artists. So much energy is there. We went there every night - many good restaurants, shops, and bars, and desert places! There are two ways to go up the hill to independence street, and one is much shorter! However, at night, there's not much lighting, so not encouraged to walk although I found no trouble personally. Maybe taking a short walk during day time, and taking a longer route (with lighting) during night time is a good idea.

To the old historic area, you can walk down hill about 5 mins, and there's tram, you can take it and cross the bridge easily and comeback same way. It was very easy. I actually stayed another 3 nights in old area, and kind of regretted my decision. The quality and service of the hotel over there, which was just about 30$ cheaper than TomTom was not to be compared in any positive way to TomTom.

Hotel foods are not cheap, but I found quality there. At the time of my visit, they were offering some discount for hotel residents, and I ate about every two days, and was happy with it. Liquors are not cheap, but there's good view. Breakfast was excellent! All the waiters were extremely helpful and kind. The only concern was safety issue. It's at the top of the building, and my 2 year old wanted to go to the edge of the balcony where there were no shields - that kind of made me feel a bit concerned whenever I was there. For adults, this safety issue does not apply at all unless you're uncontrallably drunken :)

This hotel is very calm. This is because it's about 5 min walk from busy streets, and it's across Italian consulate. It looks a bit separated from real world, but I found it very nice.

Overall, TomTom has been great. After my Istanbul stay, I stayed in Santorini, Crete, and Athens for another 2 weeks, and always missed my stay in TomTom. I'm sure I'll make another visit to TomTom, and I'm recommending this place to all my friends and colleagues. The longer you stay, the longer you're likely to miss it - very good very luxurious, hard to beat for what you pay. My wife almost cried when she was leaving.... Only missing thing will be swimming pool. If you're very serious about it, that may be the only reason not to stay at TomTom. But, who would care too much about swimming pool in Istanbul so much?

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank SangminOh
Wiltshire
Reviewed October 27, 2010

6 of us went to istanbul for the weekend. This hotel was lovely. Very modern, superb rooms, very quiet opposite the italian embassy so no passing traffic, great location, 5 minutes down the hill for the trams, great service from the staff ( especially the guys at breakfast). Good suggestions from the "guest manager" about what to do/ trips/ restaurants etc.
Good choice of food for breakfast. Ate on our 1st night at thehotel's rooftop restaurant - beautiful view - food was well cooked - a modern twist on turkisk food - we all would have preferred a more "traditional" menu though.
An excellent little boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank WiltshireWhisperer
Calgary, AB
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This boutique hotel is to-die- for! A wonderful refuge from the stimulation of touring busy Istanbul This is a very beautiful and recently renovated building with wonderful art and fabulous rooms. The rooms are huge, modern and comfortable. The bathroom is five-star with marble throughout, a yummy shower and large jacuzzi tub. The beds are very comfortable. Great toiletries products are provided. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. There are fresh flowers elegantly displayed throughout this zen-like building. INternet is free. The breakfast is wonderful, varied and delicious. My only complaint is the over-priced dinner venue but this is a minor point. I would HIGHLY recommend this wonderful hotel and hope to return some day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank luvgreathotels
New York
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed here for 8 nights in October 2010. I am picky and can always find fault but honestly can not recommend any improvements here. Starting with location the hotel is across from the Italian Embassy so the street is limited access but walkable to stores, restaurants and trams. Istanbul is very hilly and this is no exception. The room was large and comfortable. Some mornings we did hear the call to prayer or kids walking to school. We were able to fall back to sleep and that did not bother us.

All of the staff was friendly and helpful. They answered our questions, booked restaurants, helped with the computer and so forth. The hotel was clean and beautiful. Fresh flowers in large floor vases and umbrellas on the rainy days. Breakfast included meats, eggs, cheese, cereal and breads.

I would stay here again without hesitation and highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Igo4me
Craven Arms, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2010

When you first arrive at TomTom Suites you might wonder where you are coming to as the area looks a little run down! But it is in a great location in a street with no passing traffic. Its so quiet. Access to the main sites is easy. Downhill, the tram is within a 5 minute walk and uphill, Iskatel Cadesi ( a buzzing main street with loads of shops and restaurants) and a 2 minute walk round the corner leads to some narrow streets full of atmosphere and restaurants
This boutique hotel itself is a sea of tranquility with beautifully appointed rooms, a great breakfast and very helpful staff.
Our only regret was that the Terrace bar wasn't open but as the weather was unseasonably inclement it wasn't a problem.
We had a great time and would definitely recommend the TomTom Suites

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends