Nobel Hostel
Askin Hotel(Istanbul)
  • Restaurant
Divalis Hotel(Istanbul)
View Hotel
All reviewsblue mosquesofa cafegreat locationhagia sophiarooftop viewtouristic areaplace to staydouble roommajor attractionsclean roomsfew minutes walkturkeymustafasultanahmettramheartbosphorus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2013

we did spent 4 nights in the hostel and had a very good time. Good people, good rooms good beds bathroom ok, good breakfast on the roof terrace. I do not understand the review of Peace 1967 at all. Stay out of Istanbul if you do not want a wake up by a Mosque, ( they are everywhere in the city) . Very near some important things to see. ( But do not miss the cistern and Chora church).

Room Tip: we had a room at street side, if you want to sleep early; get a room at the backside
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. When i arrived, the hostel staff (i think Mustafa is his name) was sleeping at the reception. Well, i came too early in the morning. I was allowed to leave my bags at the counter and was asked to come back later for check-in at 1 pm. I was asked to pay in full on the first day. The 8 mixed bedroom is located on the floor (4th floor). The stairs are really steep and narrow. It is like a hostel in Amsterdam. It is convenient to stay on the same floor as the kitchen. There is only 1 power point with 4 ports all located at one top bunk and that top bunk was mine. When i was not sleeping on my bed, everyone shared the power points and left their phones and even laptops on my bed to charge. That was rather inconvenient for all travelers. I hope the hostel management will look into providing more power points/outlets. The breakfast was alright. The view was awesome. You can see the blue mosque from the terrace. Unless you have a really sensitive pair of ears, there was no loud noise from the mosque as claimed by some guest. The call for prayer lasted for only a few minutes and i was hardly awoken by it. Mustafa (if i got his name right) helped me book an airport transfer. He's a funny guy and likes to joke around. All in all, it was a fun stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hostel is in a great location & had a view of the Blue Mosque from our balcony, but bear in mind this also means you will be disturbed by the call to prayers (which for me is part of the experience).
The free wifi is great & the complimentary slippers are very useful.
There was a terrible small of drains coming from the bathroom which was overpowering & quite nauseating, I asked for a room change but was refused (my daughter could not sleep in her bed as it was nearest the bathroom & therefore the smell was stronger there). There were many vacant rooms & as we all ended up sleeping in one bed it would not have been a problem to go into a double room.
The shower leaked due to ill fitting doors which resulted in the bathroom floor constantly being soaked, again my polite complaint was not dealt with. Also the bathroom had not been cleaned properly prior to our arrival & the previous guests toiletries were still in the shower, as well as the bathroom shelf being grubby.
The toilet roll was not replaced during our stay despite it running out & we had to resort to 'stealing' wads of toilet roll from the shared bathrooms.
We had only 2 towels despite being in a triple room & when I was forced to use one to soak up the leak from the shower, a clean one was put straight back onto the floor leaving us with one towel between 3 of us for 4 days (towels were changed only on our first day)!
The stair case, as others have noted, is very steep & quite treacherous due to it being a spiral. This made it difficult to get my young daughter up & down the stairs safely.
I paid in part for my stay when I arrived & I told the staff I would pay the balance as soon as I exchanged my money the next day (we arrived in the evening), this I did as soon as I had found a currency exchange the next day. 2 days later the manager asked me when I was going to pay (stupidly I had not got a receipt). I explained that I had already paid in full, told him who I had paid, when & what cash I had used. Immediately he went to find the member of staff I had paid, who upon his return said that he had no recollection of my having done so or of having spoken to me! This was not credible as we had had a long conversation about my room (& my complaints) when I was paying (& on 2 further occasions that day), he had had to go the restaurant next door to get change for me & we were the only family staying at the time & he had been chatting to my youngest daughter as we waited. it was only because I could remember the date & approximate time of paying that the manger was able to trawl through the CCTV & find the footage of me paying, however, he did not have the courtesy to let me know this & I had to ask if he had found it after spending 3 hours panicking that I had been ripped off. I dread to think what would have happened had I not been able to remember when I had paid & although I think it's possible that someone would not remember a payment being made, I find it very dishonest that the member of staff who took the payment refused to admit we had spoken at all that day. Still, a lesson learnt to never be lulled into a false sense of security by seemingly friendly hosts & to always obtain receipts.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Peace1967
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were only in Istanbul for one night and the Nobel Hostel was the right choice. Just a few minutes walk from all the historic sights. We loved having breakfast at the terrace with the Blue Mosque just in front of us! The staff was very friendly and spoke very good english. The room was clean, the bathroom not so much but is more than ok for the price. If you are travelling with heavy bags I recommend getting one of the first floor rooms as there are a lot of stairs. We had a great time at The Nobel Hostel, we would definitely come back next time we are in Istanbul !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I absolutely loved staying at this hostel during my time in Istanbul, the price and what you get for it is awesome and the staff are so lovely and are hilarious! Ill really miss these guys to be honest and will hopefully be back again. Breakfast is good, the food from the restaurant is amazing and ten percent off is a bonus. The bathrooms and rooms were clean both times I stayed, I can't say there was one negative thing at all about either of my stays here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo