“Disappointing intro to Istanbul”
Review of Mystic Hotel

Mystic Hotel
Ranked #691 of 1,150 Hotels in Istanbul
San Francisco, California
“Disappointing intro to Istanbul”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Mystic Hotel in late September when Istanbul and the historic Sultanahmet was at its best: warm, sunny days and cool nights filled with marvelous history and architecture at every turn.

Unfortunately, my introduction to the city was pretty terrible thanks to the Mystic Hotel.

I had booked a single view room with a late check-in (my flight landed at 11 pm) only to be put in a street-facing room with 4 single beds crammed into a room meant for 2 beds maximum. When I asked for a different room, I was shown one on the top floor with a ceiling so low and sloping that it was impossible to stand upright. I was told the hotel was booked besides these two rooms and that I had no other option.

I stayed the first night in the room with 4 beds that's impossible to walk around because all the space is taken up with extra beds. It was also impossible to have a bedside table or reading lamp so I was left to use the single glaring overhead fluorescent light or my headlamp in bed. Other charms: the bedspreads and decorative pillows were made of a synthetic fabric I was afraid to touch. There were some coordinating curtains in similar synthetics that photograph okay by daylight in the hotel's website but lose all charm under the fluorescents at night. I also discovered a monstrous yellow stain on the mattress pad below the scratchy sheets. No chair in the room or place to put your toiletry bad in the bathroom either. Unrelated to this particular room, I should mention that the staircase is a death wish: steep, narrow, no railing and auto lights come on after you're halfway up or down.

The next morning, I had breakfast on the terrace directly behind the rather sad reception/lobby area. While billed to have Bosphorus views, I would say the views were partial at best. The breakfast spread, while traditional, was also very disappointing especially now that I have experienced such wonderful hospitality elsewhere in Istanbul and across the country. There were the standards like bread, butter, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, hardboiled eggs, olives, jam, honey, tea and powdered coffee, but there was really no care taken in their presentation and a number of patrons had to ask for more of whatever had run out.

Shortly thereafter, I packed up and moved my bags out. I politely told the owner Oktay Balkir that I was going to look for another hotel since he was booked and had no more options for me and asked to store my bags for the day. He was gruff and his wife was lifeless, and they placed my bags in the center of the lobby as opposed to a storage closet or back office.

When I asked for directions to my travel agency right next to the Four Seasons, a local landmark next to the Hagia Sophia, he said it was impossible to tell me. Thanks. I set out on my own, and to add injury to insult I actually slipped on the steep cobbled street where the hotel is located and scraped up my knee! Luckily, I found my agency and a new hotel. When I returned for my bags, you can imagine that the gruff owner was even gruffer. He also tried to charge me a second night because he had stored my bags in the lobby for the day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kellyj415

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Flensburg, Germany
Reviewed October 10, 2012

There are hardly words to describe the superlative hospitality of Oktan and his family.It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel for 13 nights. i felt like at home and had a really good time. Oktan and his family are great hosts and really nice and pleasant people.
tüm iyi
teşekkür ederim:-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BarbaraBasia2012
Reviewed October 10, 2012

from the moment we arrived at the "mystic hotel" we were made to feel very welcome by the incredibly friendly staff . Rooms were large and spotlessly clean. 5 minute walk from the centre and in the order direction to the riverside.ı will come again this hotel

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank shela_basili
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2012

ı have been stayed this hotel. They are very helpful. The staff were charming and extremely helpful Breakfast panoramic with sea view .Very nice people with family hotel.ı felt like at home.ı will come again this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Flensburg, Germany
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Mystic Hotel in Istanbul is a central hotel for the whole family. We stay here for a studytrip for 13 nights and it was a great time. From the terrace there is a very beautiful view over the bosporus. Oktay and his family are very nice and give us a lot of information about things we can do in this big city. He takes our chaotic group with a lot of humor. Thank you very much for the time we were living at your house.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank WeltenbummlerFL1980
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed 4 nights here in September, rooms were clean and well presented, staff were excellent and very friendly, very bigs THANKS oktay, location is ideal for visiting the Blue Mosque etc. All in all, we couldn'rt fault it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We planned to stay at another hotel, Istanbul Comfort Hotel, but there were no free twin rooms there at the day of our arrival, so they sent us to this Mystic Hotel and promised that it is great and the same quality. Unfortunately, it was not true. This family owned hotel turned out to be very bad, they do not clean the rooms, they do not change towels, the stairs are steep, narrow and really dangerous (no elevator), the breakfast is poor. It is not a 3-star hotel, actually the quality of everything is like in a cheap hostel. The only good thing is the place, the hotel is close to all major sights in Sultanahmet area. Do not stay there, they are not friendly and they do not invest in their hotel, just money oriented, there are so many other hotels in the same area which are better.

Room Tip: I was there at 2 different rooms, both were bad.