“Seafood dinner at sunset on Galata Bridge! You can't get no more in Istambul.”
Review of Balik Noktasi

Balik Noktasi
Ranked #479 of 13,986 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Grand Bazaar
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Picking the right restaurant in Istambul might be confusing. If You are looking for the real Turkish experience You don't want to risk unplaeasant experiences to your intestines..The Balik Noktasi ("Fish Point" in Turkish) is magnificently located on the Galata Bridge, the pulsing heart fo the city, linking the hystorical town to the more recent neighborough.
We were stopped by a waiter, less "aggressive" than the other competitors and showing not only the sad plastic menu display but the actual fish: Hi s suggestions were honest as I can pick fresh fish (always carefully look at the eye!) and the grilled wild sea bass we were offered was delicious in its semplicity. We also trusted Hadi (the gentle waiter) on the desserts and the final result was really remarkable, including the exciting price, at the Euro standards...Be sure to choose a table at the first floor, overlooking the harbour, withouth the annoying stroll of the people.

3  Thank cetto57

Reviewed May 24, 2011

We went there our first night and loved it so much we went back the next night! Everything we tried was delicious!

1  Thank vm1771
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The Galata Bridge hosts a number of fish restaurants along the lower level. We decided to take a look, although we personally don't like fish, the friends we were with do, so we wanted to find somewhere nice to eat for our last meal before leaving Istanbul. Be warned from the minute you walk along the lower level, you will be hassled continuously to eat in each of the restaurants, each promising offers to entice you in. In some cases they are so persistant you want to turn back!

Like other reviewiers, we were also charmed by the host and listened to his story about the fact that they are last on the bridge so they don't get much passing trade - firstly this is not true, like us many start on the upper level walk along and drop down in the middle of the bridge and therefore are one of the first restaurants you pass! Anyway, we listened to what he had to say, free first drink on the house, free desert and no service charge, but wanted to look further on and said we'd come back. We took one step further to the next restaurant where we had so much hassle that he put us off walking any further. In fact he was so annoying we turned around and went back to the first restaurant just to get away from him! He threatened us by saying if we went back to the first restaurant he would do something or other, but we just turned and walked away - really don't need that on holiday. He did give us a business card but we probably threw it in disgust, so I can't name and shame it!

Anyway having returned to the Balik Noktasi restaurant we chose an upstairs table with views over the Bosphorus. We were served by two very nice gentlemen who laughed about the free drink but we did get our first free drink! They brought us bottled water and bread with chilli dip which we did pay extra for, but that was fine as we could have declined it. Our friends had two fish dishes which they thoroughly enjoyed and we had chicken dishes (which had a very, very mild taste of fish, so not sure if they were completely honest about cooking on a separate griddle or not), however, it didn't spoil the meal so no real complaints there.

We can't say whether or not we would have got the free desert because we had to leave to get our flight back to the UK. However, there was an additional charge which we think was a service charge, but to be honest we liked the restaurant, we felt the waiters were nice so we didn't dispute the service charge and were happy to pay it. We had our free drink and they have after all got to make a living themselves.

A message to all the Restaurant owners along the Galata Bridge:
Avoid hassling prospective customers as us British don't like it and you will lose business. And, don't promise what you can't deliver on - honesty is the best policy!

2  Thank KymH
Reviewed April 11, 2011

the food was ok, also the service, we also liked the view we had from our table, what we did not like was all the lies we have been told - turkish people eating there, did not see them, discounts and free dessert - did not get it, and so on...
what we got was as a bill on a torn piece of paper with the number 100 on it - thats it. i counted it in every direction - the amount was wrong
that left a riped of feeling, when we left, we did not get back

2  Thank datsa
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Before I went on my trip to Istanbul, I had so many recommendations from my friends on what to do there and I just knew that no matter how many days I spent there it would never be enough time. Somebody suggested that I must try the fish there and absolutely had to check out the restaurants under the Galata bridge. One evening after we already had dinner, my mom and I decided to check it out and pick a restaurant to go to the following night. It was just overwhelming, it was restaurant after restaurant and everybody was trying to get us to come eat there... By the time we reached the last restaurant I was just tired of politely saying no to the hosts and before I was even approached by the host at Balik Naktasi I turned to him and said we're not hungry and not interested. Well, we still ended up stopping by and chatting with the host. He was very friendly and gave some very good tips on what to do in Istanbul for the rest of the time we were there. When we were leaving, we told him that we'd consider coming back the next day and we did. The service was amazing, food way above our expectations (definitely the best dish we had in Istanbul by far) - fish was fresh and tasty and the stuff was absolutely friendly and always there to take our requests. We stayed for good 3 hours and had an amazing time. And when the bill arrived, I was shocked how relatively inexpensive it was given that we had an appetizer, main course, salad, dessert and drinks. A meal like that would cost at least triple in CAN $.

I'd highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Istanbul and if I ever go back, I will definitely stop by there for a meal!

1  Thank ajan2010