“no bill - you just pay whats on a torn piece of paper”
Review of Balik Noktasi

Balik Noktasi
Ranked #566 of 13,815 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Grand Bazaar
Reviewed April 11, 2011

the food was ok, also the service, we also liked the view we had from our table, what we did not like was all the lies we have been told - turkish people eating there, did not see them, discounts and free dessert - did not get it, and so on...
what we got was as a bill on a torn piece of paper with the number 100 on it - thats it. i counted it in every direction - the amount was wrong
that left a riped of feeling, when we left, we did not get back

2  Thank datsa
There are newer reviews for Balik Noktasi

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Before I went on my trip to Istanbul, I had so many recommendations from my friends on what to do there and I just knew that no matter how many days I spent there it would never be enough time. Somebody suggested that I must try the fish there and absolutely had to check out the restaurants under the Galata bridge. One evening after we already had dinner, my mom and I decided to check it out and pick a restaurant to go to the following night. It was just overwhelming, it was restaurant after restaurant and everybody was trying to get us to come eat there... By the time we reached the last restaurant I was just tired of politely saying no to the hosts and before I was even approached by the host at Balik Naktasi I turned to him and said we're not hungry and not interested. Well, we still ended up stopping by and chatting with the host. He was very friendly and gave some very good tips on what to do in Istanbul for the rest of the time we were there. When we were leaving, we told him that we'd consider coming back the next day and we did. The service was amazing, food way above our expectations (definitely the best dish we had in Istanbul by far) - fish was fresh and tasty and the stuff was absolutely friendly and always there to take our requests. We stayed for good 3 hours and had an amazing time. And when the bill arrived, I was shocked how relatively inexpensive it was given that we had an appetizer, main course, salad, dessert and drinks. A meal like that would cost at least triple in CAN $.

I'd highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Istanbul and if I ever go back, I will definitely stop by there for a meal!

1  Thank ajan2010
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My friend and I from Berlin(Germany) were with our gilfriend guests at the Balik Noktasi restaurant right at the end of the Galata Bridge. As we were at Istanbul from June 12th till June 20th we frequented the very restaurant 5 times in the evenings as we were served more than generously and enjoyed the perfectly served meals. We cannot understand what other guests wrote about the exaggerated prizes or bad manners of this restaurant. We were royally served, the open wine was inexpensive, the fish fresh, the desserts evden sometimes free. Compared with the other places around this restaurant can be highly recommended, as little yachts frequently took their platters from them sailing back intom the ocean. They would never have done so if this place was cheating or offering bad overprized food.
We would always recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Iser75
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We had 2 lunches and 2 dinners in the Balik Noktasi (Fish Point) under the Galata Bridge. Food was excellent - at various times we had fried anchovies, baby blue fish, grilled calamari, mezes, shrimp casserole, fish kebabs and sea bass in a salt crust. All were very good. I recommend the fish in a salt crust; with several beers, a shared starter , chips & salad, fresh fruit salad and coffee we paid 130TL for two. Our hotel receptionist said this was good value. Without exception, staff were very helpful and very friendly. Ask the manager Nuri to reserve a seat at the front of the balcony, for stunning views across the bay.

1  Thank NorthYorksHistoryMan
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The guy at the door was very charming. He didn't promise us any deal or anything like that - just a soppy story about their being at the end of the row of restaurants meant they didn't get the custom they deserve. We took pity and went in. The staff were very friendly and showed us the platter of fresh fish. We opted for the slightly more expensive large sea bass baked in a salt crust then set alight, very dramatic. It was supposed to be enough for two people but we each got a piece that weighed about 200g and that was it: no veggies, no salad (except for the garnish), no nothing else for 130TL. Even though the tiny piece I got was quite tasty, I was not, and am still not impressed.

3  Thank SafaMike