“Good food”

Antique Turquoise Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 14,475 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Very good food! Nice location but the host was a schuster. We were offered 10% our meal to dine there. We never got the discount and were practically ordered to dine in their open area on the street as the terrace deck was "too hot" (not visible to passersbys that he was trying to draw in by displaying a crowd). Probably won't eat here again but the food was very good.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My dinner experience had every chance of becoming a very pleasant one on the roof-top terrace of this restaurant with a view over the Marmara Sea reflecting the light of an almost full moon. But, unfortunately, in the end I left the restaurant with a rather bitter after taste that didn't come from the otherwise good food.

Half an hour after we had placed our orders and received our beers, one of the waiters came up to our table to let us know that our food would arrive in “two minutes”. However, two minutes turned into ten, then twenty and finally into thirty minutes, without any food still in sight. Every time we asked the waiter, the food was always “just coming” or he told us "my colleague is speaking to the kitchen on the phone”. Once we were even told that the waiter bringing the food up the stairs had dropped the tray to the floor so that the guys in the kitchen had had to start all over again. 45 minutes after the “two minutes”, we suddenly got two new glasses of beer on our table – "on the house" – but only after I had gotten up and told the waiters that we were leaving if our food didn’t show up within the next few minutes. The beers were indeed followed by our food shortly after. So after one hour and fifteen minutes of waiting - while watching other guests come, order, eat and leave - we could finally eat.

When asking for the check we were told to speak directly to the manager whom we found downstairs. As we approached him he pretended not to know anything about the matter, but it turned out very fast he knew everything. He blamed it on the head chef being away and the consequent confusion in the kitchen, but had no explanation as to why other guests arriving well after us were served long before us. Honestly, as a hungry guest I don’t care too much about why my food isn’t coming, but I also know that it is quite easy to make a hungry and waiting guest feel much less upset just by offering him or her a little snack, some bread and butter or a small reduction on the check. The two beers after a 75 minute wait and the guest’s threat to leave didn’t do the trick. In the end, the manager offered us a small reduction on the check, but it definitely wasn’t his idea and at any rate, the bitter taste was already there. What a shame!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were staying in hotel above this restaurant and decided to go there for our last night in Istanbul, as the manager had been asking us each night. On the final night we were going for a walk and told him that 'yes' we would be back. On our walk we passed many cheap an colourful cafes and restaurants that we could have stopped at but out of a sense of loyalty (misplaced) we decided to return to the Antique Turquoise . I really like monk fish and having passed the fish market earlier in the day I decided to order it even tho' it was the most expensive item on the menu. My partner changed his mind and ordered it too! We waited a long time which was fine as we were people watching on the street but when the meal came it was awful, it was just lumps of fish and white rice, no colour or vegetables or mushroom sauce as had been described. The fish was definitely not monkfish in fact I believe it was tuna as I do not really like tuna except tinned! Monkfish is more like lobster. I think they knew something was wrong and took it away before we could complain and brought back the same dish with veg and sauce added. It was almost farcical! In the end we asked to see the chef. I don't think we ever did see the chef but one of the waiters told us we could have the meal free. This was better than nothing but did not make up for the disappointment of the meal. I have been to Turkey more than 40 times and love the food. I just wish we had followe dour instincts and eaten on one of the kitchen cafes near to the grand bazaar!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great service, friendly staff. Well dressed, not pushy. Good fun and atmosphere in this location.
Open early for breakfast through until late.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Open early for breakfast through until late.