“One of the best hotels in my experience - clean, cozy and great staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sultan Hostel

Sultan Hostel
Ranked #17 of 1,175 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Bangalore
“One of the best hotels in my experience - clean, cozy and great staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

I stayed in Sultan's hostel during my visit to Istanbul last month and it was definitely one of the best hostels I cam across during my stay in Turkey. The location is brilliant - a stone's throw away from not only the tram stn. but also the major sightseeing highlights (Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Hoppodrome, Byzantine Cistern). The road in front is peppered with nice restaurants and bars. The rooms were well heated and clean and the best of all - the bathrooms were sparkling!

The first day we got a pretty small room but when we requested a change they gave us something nice with a sea view with absolutely no fuss! On our last day in Turkey, when we were back in Istanbul and had half a day to kill before our flight - they even let us keep their luggage with them even though we were not staying there anymore. The guys at the hostel were really sweet and friendly and I would love to go back and stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

I have stayed in plenty of hostels over the years all over the world and the Sultan Hostel is one of my favorites. The location is fantastic; you could not ask for better. It's just a five minute walk from the Topkopi Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. The street is charming during the day and evening, with plenty of decent restaurants and nargile joints. Free internet and wireless! I had booked a six-person, mixed gender dorm. I asked if they had any all female dorms. They said they had one available that night, but the next night it was booked out. So I took the all-female one that night and when I asked the next day if they needed me to move, they told me not to worry about it and let me stay in the all female dorm. The dorm had its own bathroom. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great. They had omelets or greek yogurt with muesli and honey. The bunk beds in the dorm were surprisingly comfortable. It is a hostel, not a five star hotel, but for a hostel, it was a great experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Varna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

NIce place - cleanliness up to standards for a hostel. Maybe rooms had to be better ventilated but it's not a great inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

I booked through HI. Upon arrival we were given our room keys. The room was a twin with no fan. I returned to the desk with my booking reference and explained that I had booked a double room. To which the response was "You can push the beds together". I said no, I booked a double. At this point I was also under the impression that I had booked a private bathroom and asked about that, showing the receptionist my booking confirmation. "Actually there is a room like that but you can only have it for 1 night and it costs more." I accepted that I must have misunderstood when making the booking and asked for the double. The receptionist shrugged and handed me keys to a double. This room was better that the twin and had a fan. However, there was only one toilet and shower per floor serving a substantial number of guests. Not great when the room cost 44 Euro per night.

Onto breakfast. Breakfast was fine, basic choice of muesli or a Turkish breakfast of olives, egg and bread roll. The service let the hostel down at this point. I must mention that there was one redeeming gentleman working there. However, the female member of staff was rude. I have stayed in lots of hostels in many different places, I do not expect silver service and a butler but this lady actually tutted when I asked for milk for my coffee and made a gurgling, 'I begrudge this ' noise. She made a mistake with an order of 2 coffees from 2 different couples and rather than saying sorry she huffed and puffed and drew both customers a 'dirty look'. Disgusting attitude and, having spent a further 2 weeks travelling in Turkey, can not be put down to cultural differences, she was simply rude.

Redeeming features: good location for sightseeing, busy street with lots of options for food and drink, travel agents too, clean rooms although somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MacT66
plymouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed at the Sultan Hostel for four nights at a cost of sixty Euros per night and found the facilities below standard and the staff's attitude poor and disorganised. When we arrived (having been asked to specify a time of arrival) our room was not ready and we were kept waiting for an hour and a half. We were then told that the room we had booked was not available and we were being transferred into another room containing uncomfortable single beds pushed together (we had booked a double). I found the staff's attitude apathetic at best and rude at worst. I too experienced the lack of hot water - but was not believed when I took my complaint to reception. The breakfast was meagre and delivered in an off- hand way. I am sorry to say that the only positive thing I can say about this hostel is its location which is close to the major sites of the city. This was my second trip to Istanbul - my advice would be keep on walking past the grotty Sultan Hostel - there are plenty of super places to stay in the surrounding area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annie089
netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

Normally I love the tips they give in the Lonely Planet but I really do not understand why LP recommands this hostel. There are so many better hostels in Istanbul. Staff was always looking grumpy and very unfriendly, (especialy the female staff) growling when you or anybody else in the queue had a question. I know they made long hours but that is no excuse. The hostel has 3 computers with free internet of which two of them did not work when I was there. Also they promise to have hot water 24/7 but they don't. Not in the evening and not in the very early morning at least when I tried to shower. I went to the reception to tell them, they just said, 'you should have hot water' without coming to the room to check or do something. Next day I complained again, my roommates did the same but still no action.
Also very bad. When booking (can only be done by internet) you have to give your credit card number and 3-digit security code number on an unprotected website. Already very bad but upon arrivel I still had to pay because the claimed they only want your credit card data in case you don't show up, cause then the money will be taken but otherwise you have to pay by cash and they will not take the credit card money. But in a strange country you cannot check your credit card bill to see if they are telling the truth (and will not take your money twice).
Only benefit are the very clean rooms and nice beds, but other hostels also have that and they do not charge 15 euro a night but only 8 or 10. Well after 3 nights I changed hostel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MWitlox
Hamilton, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed here during the middle of May 2009 and had a great time. The staff was accomodating and spoke excellent English. The front desk had no problems booking day trips and giving advice about Istanbul. The hostel also has a rooftop terrace which ranged from very quiet to very lively.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo