“Friendly, good-value, excellent location”
Review of Sultan Hostel

Sultan Hostel
Ranked #16 of 1,202 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Wellington, New Zealand
“Friendly, good-value, excellent location”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Really enjoyed our time here. A quick walk to all the tourist spots and the staff are great. Ear plugs could be a good idea for light sleepers as the hostel is in a street with a very active nighttime atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Alice S
sultanhostel, Owner at Sultan Hostel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind worlds about our hostel. Take care and we hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in a private room at the start of a Turkey tour and another night at the end of our tour.

Location is fantastic for exploring Istanbul and lots of ammenties nearby - bakery downstairs (the yummy smells here woke me up each morning!), corner stores and lots of restaurants.

I was very impressed with this hotel because it was so CLEAN!! I've honestly stayed in dirtier hotels before!

Free internet was handy, breakfast was good and dinner at hostel was good too (just don't order a burger - turkey isn't known for their burgers!).

It was noisy though - although I come to expect this from hostels. We shut the windows and that made a big difference. If you're a light sleeper though I recommend you take easr plugs!

Also had a mix up on arrival with our safe - they gave someone else our key! But luckily this was rectified quickly as it had our passports in it.

All in all staff were helpful though

Room Tip: Get a private room!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed for a week in summer. I booked a dorm room for 16 people through hostelworld.
When i got there i was taken to a room with 26 beds. Even better.
I met some great people , the location is perfect and its easy to get around.
I would loved to have stayed here for about two months. I'll be back next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank 190758Eye
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Enjoyed my five-night stay at this conveniently located and affordable hostel. The five-bed dorm with in-room bathroom and free breakfast was 22 lira, or about $15 a night. Not bad for Istanbul, which can be rather expensive compared to the rest of Turkey.

The Sultan Hostel is situated on a touristy cobblestone street full of hotels, outdoor cafes, bars, and shops. The Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern, Museum of Turkish and Islamic Art, Arasta Bazaar, Mosaic Museum, and tram are just a few blocks away.

All the major sites, museums, and bazaars in the Sultanahment, Eminonu, Sirkeci, and Beyazit neighborhoods are within walking distance. The new town area, including Taksim Square and the shopping and nightlife of Istiklal Caddesi, are just a short tram ride north.

Reception staff was helpful in booking an inexpensive hamam visit and shuttle bus to the airport. The internet was shoddy was in the cafe at times but always worked well in the room. The inclusive breakfast is nothing fancy but hits the spot: hard-boiled eggs, cheese, olives, yogurt, cereal, granola, bread, butter, jam.

Sultan's restaurant and bar are fun for meeting people, smoking hookah, and kicking back a few. Backpackers from nearby hostels tended to hang out here, as some of their accommodations lacked a common area. But don't bother with the restaurant food beyond breakfast; it's mediocre and overpriced. You're better off visiting any number of street vendors for delicious kebaps, simit, gozleme, misir, kesane, and salep.

And ladies, beware: A few of the creeper dudes working the bar always seem to be on the prowl. When they're not serving up pints of beer and setting up hookahs, they won't hesitate to hit on you any chance they get. A male companion informed me that they brag about their supposed escapades with the female guests.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JulzF
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 2, 2010

If you're a backpacker and not into luxuries, like myself this place will be just fine. My room had 6 beds and it was somewhat stuffy during the night. We had to open the window and consequently it became a bit noisy. I can't say I had a great nights sleep, but when you share ur room with 5 people you can't expect much. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the internet room with 3 computers was a great extra. WE also had wireless internet for free in the rooms, so overall I enjoyed it. Maybe they should invest a little bit on cleaning the toilets more often as the bins kept overflowing.. and well, it was not a pretty sight.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed in a six people mixed dorm for 12 Euro (including breakfast) and was absolutely satisfied with my stay. Ok, it is a bit loud and the rooms dont have air conditioning (they have ventilators instead), but all I expect for 12 Euros/night is a bed and a roof over my head. That's what I got. The staff was friendly and helpful. For backpackers and easy going tourists, this hostel is absolutely satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Sultan Hostel was recommended to me by Backpackerstravel.net. which I was told is one of the best hostel in the Sultanahmet area. (We can reccomend you Sultan Hostel, one of the best hostels in Sultanahmet. You can check it visiting the website of it : http://www.sultanhostel.com/en/ The dorm room price is 17 Euro for per person and per night. 6 people accomodate in the room.)

The webpage"s Facilities does not talk about room Airconditioner at all. I did not check on this item because I assumed that this hostel would have room airconditioners as I had in Mexico, the US and other hostels in Europe. Well, this hostel DOES NOT HAVE AIRCONDITIONERS in any of their rooms, therefore, it made me very, very UNCOMFORTABLE as I laid on bed for my first evening. I had to get out on the street very late at night to write an email to Backpackers Travel to find me immediately another Hostel with airconditioned rooms and to get fresh air because the ground floor 6-bedroom female dormitory where I was assigned to sleep and which faces the street , only had a small floor fan, the room's two windows could not be opened because TWO sets of double decker beds blocked the windows. Imagine how hot it was inside a small bedroom of 5 women giving out smouldering warmth from our bodies with the room's door closed to prevent men and women dormers see us on bed as they paced back and forth as they pass through the hallway to go in or out of the hostel, go in to the small computer room, or go up the staircase for the 2nd and higher floors of the hostel's building. The odour inside the bedroom/dorm was very unpleasant due to the body heat that were excreted from our bodies as we laid sweating it out with just a small floor electirc fan which is in no way made us all comfortable to sleep away the evening.

It was a very unpleasant horrowing night for me as I laid sweating all night . I was fortunate that Backpackers Travel met with me the following morning where I was ushered in to a hostel where all the rooms are fully airconditioned. I was delightyed to stay at this second hostel for three nights where I left an excellent review. The room pricing of Sultan Hostel for dorm rooms are higher than the Agora Guesthouse. The two hostels are day and night apart from each other's quality of environment. Please check on the difference.

Another thing that the Sultan Hostel receptionist was convincing me to believe was that there are NO HOSTELs with airconditioners and elevators anywhere in the world, Well, this male receptionist was TOTALLY WRONG, the Hostel Cathedral behind the Basilica in the Zocalo of Mexico City has an elevator to bring in our luggages and heavy backpacks, it provides FREE BREAKFAST and DINNER, it has wide windows to allow fresh air to circulate at night making it very fresh and cool to sleep at night, the bathrooms are very clean and maintained DAILY by hostel employees.

Sultan Hostel is located on the PARTY STREET, therefore, it is very noisy at night.

There are three desktop stations installed in a small room with no windows.

Sultan Hostel MUST RENOVATE its old building. I must say that it is high time for the restructuring of the rooms, it needs a LOT OF BUILDING AND FACILITY UPGRADE.S

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo