“A nice hotel, but just nice...”

Park Hyatt Istanbul - Macka Palas
Ranked #38 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Overall, the quality of the hotel is very good. But I am not sure if the value is there for first time tourists.

Location: As everyone has noted, it's in Nisantasi, which is an upscale neighborhood with nice restaurants and high-end international shops within walking distance. To get to any tourist area (with maybe the exception of the Military Museum), you will most likely need to use a taxi. You can walk to the Taksim area, but it's about a half hour walk. From the hotel it is not an issue, but coming back to the hotel you will need help as some taxis do not know of this hotel still. There's a tunnel that you can tell them to take which makes Taksim bus stops to the PH around 8 TRY. Otherwise, they will do a loop that might be a bit longer. But the hotel staff are very good with calling you a taxi (more trustworthy than one hail from the street). If you are familiar with Istanbul, this is a nice quiet area that can be appealing, but I do not love it.

Service: The staff at this hotel are very good. They were all very professional and helpful. You will not have any issues with communicating in English as they all appeared to speak English. It seemed very well managed and they know how to cater to tourists needs.

Food: The breakfast was good. The selections were not huge, but the quality was very nice. The breakfast area right in the lobby and not large, but that is the style of the hotel. The drinks at the pool bar was good. There is a steak restaurant but we did not try.

Gym/Pool: There is gym and a spa, but we did not visit. The pool area is small, but very nice after a hot day. There is a pool bar, and they make nice cocktails.

Room: The corner room is very nice. It is large enough and the design is pleasant PH decor with some local accents. As a lot of people had mentioned the bathroom is very nice. The amenities and furnishings are all clean, non-fussy, elegant PH style. There are no real views to speak of, you just see the neighborhood and the buildings surrounding it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank so_traveller

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I am a BIG Starwood person. But we had our wedding at a Hyatt hotel. Staring down the barel of thousands and thousands of points, we had to use them to book our Honeymoon! So, we booked a Greek Island trip, starting with three days in Istanbul at the Park Hyatt. To say we were impressed would be the UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR!

Property: We drove up and were immediately impressed. The well designed and chic lobby is impressive at first glance, and the staff is immediately there to help guide you. The building is architecurally impressive, with clean lines and clever materials, and the pool deck is pretty and nice.

Staff: WOW! Very good people. Everyone is there to help, and they all seem obsessed with pleasing the guests. Very well done.

Food: We were entitled to breakfast each morning either downstairs or in our room (Diamond status), and we chose to have it in our room. It was awesome. Came on time each day (literally within 2 minutes of the requested time on both mornings we ordered it), and the food was well-prepared and delicious.

Room: Another WOW. Again, boutique feel. Great rooms with modern feel. Incredibly clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the sheets and blankets are soft and comfy. The bathroom in our room was awesome! It had a private steam room, and a beautiful tub. It even had a TV in the room, and a disco-like light that changes colors! The most impressive part of the bathroom was that the whole floor is a drain! So the shower is just in the center of the room. I got made fun of a lot for my amazement about this, but its pretty incredible engineering. Note: The toilet is in a separate room, so that is not part of the drain-floor thing.

Location: Likely the only negative from our perspective. The area that the hotel sits in is called Nisintasi. It is a high-end shopping district (sort of the "SoHo" of Istanbul), but it's far from the bazaars, the mosques, and the old city. It is fine if you want to shop, but not the best for a non-shopping trip.

Overall: Stay here!!! What else can I say? Worth the long distance from the city, for sure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noahk1981
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The park hyatt has a wonderful boutique feel to it - the rooms are large and well appointed - the bathrooms are perhaps the best I've ever seen in a hotel. The neighborhood is very Parisian with every brand name boutique/shop in walking distance. I attended a conference at the icc - a 5 minute walk away. The concierge at the hotel was excellent and recommended the perfect dining experience for us every evening. If you make it to the park hyatt i recommend the restaurant across from the hotel for excellent local fare!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Amazing bathrooms in this place. Everything designed so well. Beautiful hotel, not the best location, but very close to all the shopping. Hotel happy hour 2 for 1 means each guest must buy one, just FYI in case you're looking for a quick happy hour stop, you may feel obliged to stay for 2.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Park Hyatt Istanbul is new, well designed, and exceptionally attractive both inside and out. It looks like a historic building from the outside, but transforms to a modern, chic aethestic inside. The rooms are comfortable and large. Bathrooms are outstanding. I had the opportunity to stay in a basic room, a spa room, and a suite during the course of my two-week stay which was a mixture of business and personal travel. I really liked the layout of all of the rooms.

Some nice touches are:
the fully automated controls. Everything can be controlled from bedside - from the lights to the black-out shades.
The in-room nespresso machine with all of the individual packs. Nice touch
Well designed work desk with ports for every plug type, nice lighting, comfotable chair, etc.

The district is quite convenient to most things. It is the upscale shopping area of Istanbul, if you are into that, and has some really nice little cafes, restaurants, etc.

Service is incredibly helpful, genuinely nice, and on the mark. Food was excellent - both room service and in the restaurants themselves. Quick and efficient laundry/pressing service, etc.

Negatives:
The hotel restaurants and bars close at 11pm and are generally quite dead. This isn't the place to come back to for a nightcap, etc. This is both good and bad. It depends what you want. I didn't mind, but I did find it strangely quiet at night.
The toiletries in the bathroom are some supposedly upscale french brand. Maybe they are nice, but they smell terrible. Awful shampoo smell, very strange and thin moisturizer. I was disappointed. This doesn't kill the rating, but I look forward to not bringing my stuff when I visit nice hotels, and I feel like I need to with this one.

All in all it is really difficult to cite anything negative that isn't a personal preference. You should really like this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pharmanuke
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I spent 10 days in Turkey. We stayed at the beautiful Four Season by the Bosphorus, an amazing cave hotel in Capedokia, and the Park Hyatt. The Park Hyatt was by far and away our favorite place. The hotel is located in a charming nieghborhood where there is a lot to do within walking distance. There are terrific small deisgner shops as well as cafterias. In addition, the hotel has a gerat vibe to it. The staff is professional, knowledgeable and courteous. The rooms are really quite beautiful. We had breakfast included as I'm a diamond member and it was simply amazing. The hotel is expensive but in my mind well worth it. I would highly recommend this hotel. If you are going to spend the money this hotel is better than the Four Seasons Bosphorus or the Ritz Carlton in my humble opinion.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

In keeping with the Park Hyatt ethos, this hotel is chic but low key, much more of a 'boutique' hotel feel than some of the other big name hotels we've been to in Istanbul.

The rooms are large and very well equipped and have the fantastically comfortable Park Hyatt beds so.

And the hospitality of the staff is fantastic, right across the board, though a special mention must go to the concierge who spent a lot of time with us, advising on a choice for dinner on our one night in the city. (Excellent recommendation - barbecue at the Ciragan Palace, a great spot for watching the antics of the boats on the Bosphorous.) Really lovely, personal service.

My only reservation is that the public areas feel a bit more cramped than I would have expected and don't compare favourably with other Park Hyatt experiences. The bar in the lobby is tiny (more like a counter) - though there is a bar on the terrace as well - and the pool/deck area is right on top of/alongside the terrace bar which compromises both experiences. That said, the property is right in the city, not on the waterfront, so space is at a premium I guess.

The area the hotel is located in is very Bond Street/Madison Avenue so great for upmarket shopping but a taxi ride away from the main sights.

I'd definitely go back as it really is a sanctuary amid all the hustle and bustle of Istanbul - which I love, but can get a bit overwhelming!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family