“The name should change from Hotel to Hostel and all the stars taken off”
Review of Hotel Emek

Hotel Emek
Ranked #477 of 1,087 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Please believe me we I say all of this, do not go to this hotel!, i am not overreacting, i am not lying, i just want to warn you, I dont know why there is so many good reviews from Emek but I can tell that they are not true, maybe it was from the Emek´s staff to increase the clients. Definitely i do not recommend this hotel (if it can be called like that) for me is like a hostel. The pictures from the internet shows that the room is bigger than it is, cleaner, and to much prettier than it is. First the street is awful, full of constructions, dirt, and very dark street, no ilumination and dangerous at night. The building seems to be from the 1900, it seems that it has never been renovated. When we got to the hotel there was a french family yelling that their whole trip was ruined, I asked the reception what happened but they didnt tell me, now I know why. As soon as I asked that hey told us very quickly to pay before we saw our room (what a mistake to trust them!) and when we got to the room our bed was dirty, there was no view from the window, the window was broken, the bathroom is in precarious conditions (very dirty, too small, smelled bad). The room is so small that you can open your arms and it is almost posible to touch both walls with them. The TV that there is, is very old so old that I havent seen anything like it in my life, we didnt wanted to watch TV at all, but still, I you have this kind of old TV it is better to leave the room without it. As soon as we saw our room we got out and asked for our money back, we couldnt believe what we were seeing. There are a thousand more options than this hotel in Istanbul and with very similar prices and a lot better hotels. There is the Q inn hotel (like 200mts from there), we just payed 40e more for our whole staying (3 nights) and you will see the difference between this crappy hotel emek and the Q inn hotel. We felt so tricked by the staff, the owner, and the images that they uploaded on the internet. They are not people to trust. Please believe me, as a friend, dont stay on this hotel, find another one, I am just trying to help you. Unfortunatly we got out so fast from the room that we couldnt take pictures from it. I know it is hard to believe with all the good reviews that there is, but please dont go there, Hotel-Hostel Emek is not the only cheap Hotel in Istanbul.

Room Tip: dont stay, go to another one..
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Esteban S

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I had a horrible experience at this hotel and recommend people do not stay here!! We stayed one night only because it was close to the city, and regret ever arriving. The men at the reception desk were terribly rude and ripped us off.

The hotel can book airport transfers for you, which we decided to do. They quoted 20TL each, and as there was four of us it was a total of 80TL. I handed the man at the desk 100TL and he refused to give me any change, saying he already gave it to me.

Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank j_lumley
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I have booked a double room online specifying it is for a couple and a double bed is needed. First I was asked to pay upfront and as I was too tired after a long journey, I didn't quesion it (even though it is not a normal practice). Already regretted it after seeing a room I was offered (with two beds!). Eventually I got a double room but the lights have to be fixed.
The state of the bathroom was absolutely horrendous! Dirty, sticky, no shower cabin so when you were taking a shower water was splashing all over the tiny bathroom, sink and a toilet. Filthy blankets, no wardrobe, no heating...My partner was meant to join me later and as we walked into the hotel later on, he was refused an entry!!! I've never felt so humiliated as I was treated like a working girl bringing a man! Night receptionist didn't speak a word English so it was hard to communicate (not to mention that the room was paid in full - for two people!).Eventually he'd spoken to the man that I checked in with and we were let in...After all these experiences we decided to find another hotel so asked for a refund (I already paid for all nights). I was charged 15% fee (credit card charge - something new to me and it seems that that's how they make money considering people cancel quite often or, quite possibly do not even want to be bothered with all the hassle of looking for another place once they've paid). Staff was rude, not helpful at all, the receptionist (the one speaking English) couldn't even give me simple directions!

SIMPLY AVOID!!! Waste of time and money! It would cost you more nerves that it's worth...There are much better hotels in the same price!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kasienka1974
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Upon arrival we were greeted my a chap named Yuvaz, very nice guy, polite and very helpful. He showed us to our rooms. Rooms were small, cold, bathroom were tiny, our sink was balancing on the shower basin?!! The next three days we received very poor service, the receptionist (not yuvaz), was rude. If we talked in our rooms we were asked to be quiet, even after we all fell asleep? Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shouty_10
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We booked the hotel through booking.com .Booking was confirmed. Room was not booked. Options proposed to replace horrible. Money on the credit card was enough to pay for. We arrived at the hotel at 11 pm. And they were forced to find another hotel at night with a small child. Attitude from the staff of the hotel was disgusting.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank temkaa
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is not a 2 star hotel, it’s less then that. THE ROOMS ARE VERY VERY SMALL AND THE BATHROOM INCREDIBLE DIRTY. It has a TERRIBLE SMELL, maybe the water, the pipes, I don’t know. The mattress on the bed it’s very old and we couldn’t sleep because IT MADE OUR SKEEN ITCHY.
From the 2 guys ant the reception desk only one knows English. We COULDN’T PAY CASH. He said that the only way it’s to pay the first night by credit card and the rest cash. By paying with CREDIT CARD THEY CHARGE AN EXTRA 4EUR (their commission to the bank). So we had to do their way.
The were some things ok and that we liked: the lobby was very pretty, the prices of the drinks they had (just like in supermarket), the fact that we had internet access, the location near the Topkapi palace.

I would not recommend this hotel, and the price was to much for the comfort that we didn’t had.
Be careful not all the rooms have bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I booked this hotel on Student Universe for about $20 dollars a night. I got a single room, about the size of a jail cell, with a common floor bathroom. The location of the hotel was fantastic. It was a little hard to find at first, but it was a 10-15 minute walk to all of the sights in Sultanahmet if you don't want to spend 1.50 TL to cram yourself onto a stuffed tram. Plenty of restaurants, bars, and tourist shops in the immediate vicinity. They had wireless, but for some reason it didn't connect with my laptop.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo