“Best Place in Istanbul”

Ranked #37 of 1,219 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
“Best Place in Istanbul”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently visited Turkey for 2 weeks and did not plan much for my trip ahead of time. I was torn between whether I wanted to stay in a hostel or hotel, due to the negative connotations sometime placed towards hostels. I eventually came to the conclusion that I would stay in a hostel as I would meet more people than if I had stayed in a hotel.
I searched around for hostels based on ratings and price and photos and eventually came across Big Apple Hostel. I initially only booked 4 nights, just in case I didn’t like the hostel or area or if I just wanted to move around. I ended up booking all two weeks at this hostel and I am so glad I found this place first.
The Hostel is located within walking distance to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Eqyptian Bazaar, and so many great restaurants. When I checked in the first day I was greeted with a warm smile and someone even helped bring my bags up to my room. I stayed in a room shared with 5 other individuals (only two other people ended up in the room most of the time). Under the bunk beds there was a large locker that fit my suitcase and two carry ons fully. I did not worry one bit about security or safety of my belongings or myself. On the floor I was staying there were two showers and two toilets. (3 rooms total one of them was only a shower). The water ran hot and water pressure was great. I was provided towels and a made bed every day.
All that is fine and dandy, but lets get to the Staff. I can honestly say I have made new friends with each of the staff members that will last a lifetime. Let me start with Savas(sh). This young man helped out in the upstairs area during breakfast and whenever someone wanted a drink or anything else upstairs. (Upstairs is where breakfast is served and alcohol at night, also has an amazing view of the sea). Savas(sh) quickly became a friend of mine as he was always smiling, laughing, making jokes and making everyone feel comfortable. He would remember everyone’s name and always make him or her smile. I would have to say that he became the best part about staying at the Big Apple Hostel.
All of the staff knew the area and could answer any questions you had about Turkey. I.e. where to go, what to do, what times to go etc. The staff at the Big Apple Hostel really does go above and beyond to help you in any way they can. “The customer is always right” attitude is exemplified by the staff here. On Friday we had a pub crawl and we went to the clubs and karaoke bars near Taksim Square and it was a blast.
There is so much more I could write, but I will leave it at that. If you go to Istanbul and you are looking for a place to stay, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not consider staying at the Big Apple Hostel. I would personally recommend it to anyone staying in Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bryant V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The hostel is great. Perfect location, great atmosphere, welcoming and friendly staff, safe, clean and very good mattresses. I had great time and I would stay there again. The breakfast is included in the room rate and it is quite good. Be aware that it is still a hostel, so do not expect a 5 stars HOTEL. It is a very good hostel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Deboradg
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed October 1, 2013

best hotel ok ok good good s Located behind SULTANAHMET, Big Apple very well-situated, Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar ,shops are 1-minute walk from it. The room is really cozy, clean and airy.sea view terrace with breaksfast the room is clean . Hotel staff are welcoming and helpful. My stay there was so pleasant

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Staff was great as well!
This is the biggest city I have been to by far, so I took a shuttle from the airport to the hostel. I should have had taken the big apple hostels pickup service. Its a better deal, but I did on the way back and felt good about it.
WIFI everywhere I went in the hostel. Place was clean and I slept well in my bed. Locker underneath with key so you dont have to bring your own.
Free breakfast upstairs where there is a great view of the city on one side and the other you can see the blue mosque.
I would come and stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The staff at the Big Apple hostel were amazing. They were always willing to go the extra mile for us and they always did it with a smile. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were of a high standard. The hostel is located next to a street of restaurants and a number of sites such as the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. If I ever travel to Istanbul again, I will stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chl03_V
london
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hostel was brilliant. When we arrived we didn't really know what to expect but the guy was really friendly and gave us a tour and showed us a number of rooms to choose from. We chose a triple which had an extra seating/dressing area which was really cute and the bathroom though small was spotless. Breakfast was basic but we didn't need anything else and the staff directed us to all the best places nearby. If only staying in Istanbul for a short time and want to see the older sites this is the perfect spot just round the corner from the Hagia Sophia. The roof terrace was an added bonus and the guys made us a takeaway breakfast when we checked out really early in the morning! Great value for money if traveling with friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a great hostel 2 star hotel which is well located next to the Blue Mosque. We stopped one night in a double room which they upgraded us to and was very neat and functional. Staff were extremely helpful & breakfast was tasty on the roof top terrace. Would definitely stop here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple