“the Big apple away from the BIG APPLE! :)”

Big Apple Hostel & Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,219 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Oakland, New Jersey
“the Big apple away from the BIG APPLE! :)”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The staff is very friendly and always willing to help with any questions you may have. The facility is very clean. We constantly saw floors being mopped, glass being wiped down, etc. The terrace has a view of the ocean, and a great place to hang out when your tired from a long day of site seeing :) Speaking of which, this hostel is conveniently located within walking distance of EVERYTHING! sultanahmet, aya sofya, topkapi palace, eminonu, galata kulesi, and the list goes on. Traditional turkish breakfast is served in the mornings, but they also have cereal, yogurt, fruit, and all kinds of pastries for those of you who dont care for it. All in all we definately recommend big apple to anyone who wants a pleasant experience on their travels to Istanbul. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Big Apple Hoste... h, Manager at Big Apple Hostel & Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
My dearest guest,
Warm regards from Istanbul,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked in for a four bed room, yet they only had two double bed rooms available because they made a mistake with the booking so we payed and got settled in. The next morning as I'm exiting my room one of the house keepers puts her middle finger up at me as we turn our backs to leave, even though I have never seen her before. Upon checkout they asked us to pay the extra cost of the double rooms even though they made the mistake with the booking. We refused and tried to explain how ridiculous they were being and said goodbye and we're returned with the response, "we don't want to wish you a good goodbye"

Room Tip: A room closer to the bottom sometimes people drink on the rooftop so it can be noisier up higher, al...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Georgia1104
Big Apple Hoste... h, Manager at Big Apple Hostel & Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dearest guest,
Thank you for your comment. I am the Manager of the hostel and I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication of the room type you booked with us. A four seperate beds bedroom is a dormitory room and I am afraid you was chosen the private double bedroom and assumed four single beds. The two double beds bedroom (with bathroom in room) you stayed has a slightly higher price compared to a dormitory room (without bathroom in room). Regarding to the house keepers, I wish you could have informed us at that time and I could investigate the case. But I have told all our staff to ensure our guest has a pleasant stay at our hostel. In addition, the terrace is closed at mid-night to avoid any noise. Despite these two incidents, I hope you still find the hostel facilities and cleanliness satisfy during your stay. We really hope you can come back to our hostel and I will ensure you have a pleasant stay with us.
Best regards, Mehmet Bingöl
Reviewed September 1, 2012

i was stay there for 3 night the staff was really help full and friendly they serving amazing breakfast Also they arrenged shutle bus from airport that was really help full for us and price was fair .Thank you mehmet make our staying very comfortable.

Highly recomend because there is nothing to complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
My dearest guest, I am Mehmet Bingöl ı,the Manager of the hostel , I would like to thank you for your review about big apple hostel on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments. we will be very happy to host you with the same passion in big apple hostel when you come back to Istanbul. Warm regards from Istanbul
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The unprofessional staff offset what was otherwise a good hotel in a great location. A fellow guest asked me how much I paid to stay in a 16-bed dorm, and I replied honestly (35 Turkish Lira). Apparently the hotel overcharged that guest to stay in the same dorm (he paid 40 TL), so he complained.

Upon checkout, I had the following exchange:

Staff: "Why did you tell another guest that you only paid 35 TL?"
Me: "Because that's how much I paid."
Staff: "You should have known that you got a discount!"

If you've ever been to Turkey, you know that every merchant claims that he's giving you and only you a discount. I definitely didn't receive a discount, though, because upon checking in, I was told that a 16-bed dorm would cost 35 TL/night while a 6-bed would cost 40.

In sum, I cannot in good conscience recommend a hotel that occasionally tries to cheat one guest while blaming another.

Dearest guest,
Thank you for your comment. We are happy that you found our hostel good and with its great location. We do not cheat or blame any guest and we always strive our excellence to serve our guest. We do offer some guest with discount and it depends on the room occupancy/demand and tourist season. All price with room type are stated clearly on any hotel booking website, so we do not attempt to cheat any guest. I hope you will choose our hostel again for your next trip in Istanbul. Best regards, Mehmet Bingöl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed in the 6 room dorm, which was very clean and had a powerful AC unit. Beds were comfortable and located next to clean bathrooms. Rooftop terrace was a great place to unwind after the day. Very close to Blue Mosque/Hippodrome/Hagia Sophia. Breakfast is included (typical Turkish breakfast). 70 lira for two nights.

italy
Reviewed July 26, 2012

well, this is a really nice hostel in Istanbul. The staffs there are all nice, friendly and helpful. The bed and the Facilities are also nice. The location is not located at the usual and mainly hostel area, but their location is great, just near the metro station (within 5 minutes) and it was so crowed. Really like this place :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been in many hotels all over Turkey, and dispite The Big Apple Hostel being a hostel, it is by far the best place I have ever been to here. The Big Apple Hostel is not only at a very reasonable price but it is also incredibly clean, and offers a complementary breakfast. The workers here are very friendly and go out of their way to help out their costumers and make them all feel welcome.
Staying at the Big Apple also gave me the opportunity meet locals and other visitors from all over the world because of the friendly nature enviorment that the hostel offers.
I hightly recommend the Big Apple Hostel for anyone, wether you are alone, a couple, group or family who is looking for a place to stay in Istanbul or Turkey.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo