“You don't need anything more :)”

Big Apple Hostel & Hotel
Ranked #38 of 1,194 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Poland
“You don't need anything more :)”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Very good location if you wan't to explore historical places. Privet rooms are small, but with comfortable beds, clean bedding and bath. Friendly, helpful and funny staff. Great breakfast on the roof terrace with view on Bosfor. Very close to all places because public transport stop is very close. Nice reastaurants with tasty food around hostel. I recommend.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I spent three nights at this hostel with two friends. Rooms are clean and quiet, towels and hairdryer are provided, breakfast is included in the price. The staff are friendly and they speak English. The men working at the reception helped us a lot with some useful tips about the city and tourist attractions. Breakfast is very modest. Don't expect to taste any of the Turkish delicacies. There is tee and coffee to be served (NOT Turkish coffee, unfortunately), boiled eggs, olives and cheese, bread and jam with butter. That's all!
There is one more matter I didn't find appropriate: they never answer to the emails you send them. You can do your reservation online at their web site but if you need some extra information, you'll have to phone them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ducca089
Big Apple Hoste... h, Manager at Big Apple Hostel & Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
My dearest guest, I am Mehmet Bingöl ı,the Manager of the hostel , I would like to thank you for your review about big apple hostel on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments. we will be very happy to host you with the same passion in big apple hostel when you come back to Istanbul. Warm regards from Istanbul
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed April 30, 2012

That is what the night manager suggested when I returned to my dorm room after a night out to find a stranger asleep in my bed.

No big deal - they can find another bed. I ask, they're all full including the hotel part (although I am dubious of this claim based on later lies). The reception guy wakes up the night manager (asleep in the lobby) who suggests I sleep on the couch. Side note - since he was already sleeping on the long couch, his suggestion was for me to sleep in a chair.

I told them it was unacceptable and after an hour bumbling around they still couldn't find me a bed either in their hostel/hotel or in one nearby. It was only after a person checked out for an early flight that they offered me his unclean, unmade bed. At this stage it was nearly 5AM so I accepted the offer. They also tried to blame the person who departed for taking me bed (despite it being a different room).

I was then woken up at 8AM by the maid coming in to clean the room. When I complained in the morning (to the manager who suggested the couch) he couldn't seem to fathom that there was something wrong.

I didn't end up paying to stay there yet I still feel ripped off. The whole situation could have been avoided if they actually had decent systems in place to manage customers and also some sort of security measure in place to control access to the dorm rooms.

The hostels nearby are a much better choice!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RTW_Matt
USA
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I'm sorry there is no dorm bed. I'm sorry I forgot to show you how to turn on the radiator. I'm sorry you may not use lobby computers at 2 AM, I'm sorry breakfast is another 10TL, I'm sorry about bedbugs in spite of the place being very clean. Location, grilled lamb cart outside and uphill and roof restaurant are biggest assets.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mothnm
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This hostel is located at a very convenient location. Everything you want to see is located nearby. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Breakfast was an amazing way to start the day! the view at the terrace was a bonus. They were flexible and helpful. I would stay here again.The only thing is, if you come during winter, the blanket is a bit thin so you may want to ask for an extra blanket.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I tried contacting this hostel before my trip in arranging 5 nights with them and never heard back. When I tried again once in Turkey for the last evening of my trip I managed to get a response through their website online reservation only to be told to reserve with Hotel Bookers. When I reminded them that their website offers the online reservation feature they never responded and I had to find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The location was not so great..hard to find. The small morning buffet was fabulous. The free security lockers were great. The room was clean and the bathrooms are modern and clean.vThe only drawback are the people that work there..very unpleasant and not helpful at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo