“Beautiful hotel on the Bosphorus”

Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus
Ranked #37 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The hotel common spaces are just beautiful, all outdoor spaces, pool, restaurant ect. overlook the Bosphorus and everything is done perfectly.
The pool and spa are gorgeous and it is a delight eating breakfast watching the boats go by and seeing the scenery of the coast.
The location of the hotel is out of the way for most sightseeing and I think it will be more frequented by business travelers. The other Four Seasons although much less opulent is in the heart of where it is all happening and in walking distance to the most important sightseeing.
I was less impressed with the room than the common area. I found the room, deluxe palace with garden view to be small and it only had a view of the front entrance. All of this said I would imagine that this is the most luxurious hotel in Istanbul without the best service. Forgot to mention that it has the best gym I have ever seen in a hotel!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank kag1889
Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is a very good hotel well worth the price.
A great location with a unique view on the bosphorus from the restaurant, the swimmingpool and the garden. It is a pleasure having a greta breakfast in from of the river, you are so close to water your have the feeling to float on the water.
Service with a smile, efficient staff always eager to help. I loved the 1-hour pressing service and the complementary shoe-shine. Those kind of details ease your business trip.
Only minor downsides, the room (basic garden view) is great but the view on the entrance of cars is not great. I would strongly recommand to book a room with a view on the Bosphorous. Food is not the best I had in a luxury hotel, was disappointed by my dinner at the bar (restaurant service was closed).
Anyway, I would recommand this hotel to anyone, especially leisure traveller that will have time to enjoy the place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank slecombre
Reviewed September 2, 2009

After three frenetic days in the Sultanahmet area, my stay in Istanbul took a more serene turn when I moved to this hotel on the Beyoglu coast for three nights. Although Sultanahmet is home to one of the most architecturally compelling squares in the world, I enjoyed the change of pace at the Four Seasons. The rooms here are palatial in size (with bathrooms as large as the bedrooms in many hotels I have stayed in in the past). The sheer size of the bedroom insulates you from reality and helps you enter relaxation mode very quickly.

More importantly, however, the Ocean restaurant at the Four Seasons overlooks the mighty Bosphorous river. It was such a pleasure, every morning, just to sit and dream and watch the ocean traffic wend its way under the large suspension bridge spanning the Bosphorous. From the al fresco vantage point of your breakfast table, you can also see many of the Asian suburbs of Istanbul, as well as the domes and the minarets of Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque. And the breakfast itself is a feast fit for a King or Queen. Absolutely everything you would ever wish to eat. And the staff are so accommodating that they will cook you almost any dish you desire (within reason, of course). The weather in late August was a pleasant 28-29 degrees centigrade, offset by a cool breeze which sauntered inland from the Bosphorous.

There were a number of small touches which cast this hotel into sharp relief as a five star establishment. One afternoon, I was catching the lift back up to my room when I noticed one of the hotel catering staff with a delicious plate of ginormous peaches and dates. I casually observed how beautiful the plate looked, and was immediately asked my room number. A complimentary plate of peaches, dates and sparkling water was delivered to my room twenty minutes later. The dates tasted like the richest of chocolates. On leaving the hotel at the end of my stay, the concierge's assistant handed me a cool bottle of sparkling water ("to make the journey to the airport more comfortable", he said). These little touches indicated to me that the manager of this hotel has imbued his entire personnel with a strong sense of customer service.

I also took the opportunity to explore Beyoglu during my stay in the Four Seasons. I took a taxi from the hotel to Taksim Square, and then walked two kilometres down the spine of Beyoglu to the Galata Tower. If you're in the vicinity of this tower, it is well worth a visit. It costs about 5 Euro or so to take a lift near to the top. You then ascend two flights of stairs and are greeted by a panoramic view of all of Istanbul including the bridges over the Bosphorous, the Sea of Marmara, the Princes' Islands in the background, as well as the Golden Horn (one of the main water inlets in Istanbul). I visited the Galata tower just before sunset, and the vision of the melting pot of East meeting West was so mesmeric that I stayed there for nearly an hour, drinking it all in.

The Four Seasons on the Bosphorous is a sublime hotel. I expect it to climb much higher up in the Tripadvisor hotel rankings for Istanbul in the near future.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Insightful
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This is a wonderful example of Four Seasons corporate perfection. Everything is the way it should be, but yet the hotel misses the one little ingredient that I personally hope to find in local "Nr. 1 hotels": atmoshere / aura /soul created by a sophisticated local / foreign visitor mix - and a tastefully warm interior. In that respect the "Kempinski Ciragan Palace" still beats the 4S. In terms of view, the "Conrad" (executive floor) still beats the 4S. In terms of plush luxury, doesn't the "Les Ottomans" offer all the same, but better - and more expensive - than the 4S? It is so hard to decide in Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank TrophyCollector
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Stayed here from 8/4-8/7/09. Hotel is brand new and definitely looks it. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. Great views of the Bosphorus. They have both an inddor & outdoor pool. Only tried the outdoor and it was great.
We had informed them that it was our honeymoon and they defintiely took care of us. Roses, candles, the works.
Definitely a great hotel and we'll look to stay here again when back in Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank na9101
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed in one of the new wings. Make sure you keep to the same lift as they go to different parts of the hotel. Room spacious but very beige, including a beige carpet (not what I was expecting in a country famed for its carpets) with a damp area that was not remedied during the stay. No apology either. The rooms could do with some splashes of colour in the decor. Good size TV though Pay TV did not appear to be available. Adaptor provided in drawer. Chipped spout (!!!) on the teapot for room service breakfast, though at least it had tea leaves and a strainer. Only enough butter for one slice of toast. The extra butter I asked for didn't arrive. I returned at 9 pm and turndown had not been done - Housekeeping said it went on until 11 pm so ask for 'early' turndown if you have young children.
Staff by pool area were not forthcoming in offering drinks and didn't clean the table next to me and no snacks were available after 5 at the pool. So,
not quite a five star experience all round, in my opinion. Laundry service was good, as was the food at Aqua, the restaurant. Floor was slippery with a puddle of water by the fountain near the spa entrance and the poolside by the indoor pool was also slippery - my children slipped in both areas. Hair salon next to the spa.
Good view of the Bosphorus. Good pool with underwater music. I will go back to Istanbul but will be considering alternative hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Virtualadvisor
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I'd read the reviews - I'd had high hopes - but staying at this new Four Seasons on the Bosphorus has actually put me off wanting to stay at Four Seasons properties again. I'm now going back to basics and looking for boutique hotels with charm and atmosphere.

It's true the original part of this property is rather grand, though the majority of the bedrooms are in two annexes which have as much design integrity as a 1970's Holiday Inn.

Our room, granted, was once of the cheaper ones on offer, however I don't think 500 Euros a night exactly a bargain. And again, it was so ordinary in design that it lacked charm and could have been anywhere on the planet. It further bugged me to learn that the hotel was virtually empty yet they couldn't have stuck us further away - and after having spent countless thousands of pounds at this chain over the years, I think they could have found something nicer for us - though of course, one must remember The Four Seasons is now a franchise just like McDonalds, so no longer does it have that intimate special feel, and no longer do they appear to look at your past record of staying with them - now, you're just a number. However, the main reason I don't want to stay at a Four Seasons hotel again is the beds. I absolutely loathe these bizarre mattresses that
have step like layers to them, as well as mattress toppers, so the second you lay down you feel like you're drowning in a huge sponge that gives me back pain. Admittedly I prefer a firm hard mattress, and it seems the Four Seasons are unable to accommodate a guest that wants that type of bed. However, the 5 nights I stayed here were a nightmare sleep wise, so I was moody all day craving a quite area to sleep by the pool. And yes, before you ask, I did request all the unnecessary layers of the bed were removed -
and eventually they were after a third or fourth attempt - however it didn't make much difference.

Pluses - dinner served in the Aqua restaurant was very good - and the best food we ate in Istanbul. Breakfast is also very good if there are not too many guests around. Come the weekend when there's an influx of new arrivals everything went a bit pear-shaped. But there are some very good professional staff on duty. Maybe given time they'll get used to the weekend crowd that pours in.

After one half-day of touring the sights we got back to the hotel for a late lunch around 3pm, we ordered a Club Sandwich - and 45 minutes later we discovered they'd lost our order and simply forgotten about us, even though our waiter had us within his vision at all times. At 4.30 we got something to eat. Sorry, this isn't acceptable in a proper 5* Four Seasons.

On our last night, after an excellent dinner, in a virtually empty restaurant, we had to repeatedly ask for the bill, which finally arrived after I had to raise my voice just under 30 minutes later.

We originally arrived on a Friday - and on Friday and Saturday evening after dinner it was really nice to sit outside with a bottle of wine and watch the river traffic pass by. And there's a great young waiter who will make sure you're warm by giving you a wrap, and position Propane heaters around you. But come Sunday all the outdoor furniture is removed, no heaters - nothing. Odd, no? Either you offer a service to your guests or you don't. Don't give one day, and take away the next!

These may seem like petty gripes - but when you've not slept properly in a room that's costing you 500 Euros a night you expect everything else to run perfectly.

One should also be aware - though it's no fault of the hotel - that getting anywhere from this property takes ages due to the ridiculous high volume of traffic that passes the entrance to the hotel.

I'm not sure if I'll bother going back to Istanbul as I feel the whole trip was a waste of money - however, if I do venture back I will most definitely look for a small boutique property that makes me feel like I'm in Turkey - where I feel it's acceptable for there to be mishaps - and I'm not paying a fortune at the end of it. So, upon leaving, and being
4 grand out of pocket I couldn't wait to get back home and have a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple