“Save your money”

Sarnic Hotel Turkish Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: While in Istanbul, why not take the time to learn some delicious Turkish recipes which you can share with your friends and family when you return home? The class is held in the hotel's kitchen and features a local chef as instructor. During the four-hour class, you will prepare a five-course meal of traditional dishes. Recipes are provided for your keeping and the group enjoys a delicious meal of their own creation in the restaurant at the end of the session. Come with your own group or meet new people in the class. The class size, ranging from 2 to 6, allows for each person to actively participate in the food preparation.
Columbia, South Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Save your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have gone to many cooking classes when we travel and was not impressed.
Here were the problems:
Too big a class in a VERY small kitchen. VERY HOT!
Cooked food for "the masses"...as it turns out the class is cooking for the staff so the quanities were huge! I don't feel like I could repeat in the right amounts.
Confussing what recipe we were working on...jumped from one to another and back.
Printed recipes are sloppy...ingredients missing??

As an aside, IF you go to this class or another, I'd go for dinner, not lunch. It takes really the entire day and too much food for mid-day.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Marcia58
Mehmet-Emen, General Manager at Sarnic Hotel Turkish Cooking Class, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for joining one of my cooking class. I am sorry that you did not enjoyed it. The class size, ranging from 4 to 10. So even there are 10, there is enough space in the kitchen for averybody to do the same work. To make more practice and learn how to cook, I prefer to cook more food. We do not cook for the staff particularly , this is not true. By the way if the food is too much, then I let the staff to eat it, instead of put it in a trashcan.

We are making 5 dishes. Of course you need to cook one or two dishes in the same time. Otherwise you can't finish the class at 3pm. It is written everywhere that the class is between 11 am and 3 pm. I do not arrange cooking class for dinner. It is always between the same hours. And ofcourse she knew that it would be between 11 am and 3 pm.

I hope to see you again in one of my classes for next time.

Best regards,

Mehmet Emen

Melbourne, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Fun class, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I recently did this class and had a great day. The class was really hands on and we all helped to prepare every part of each dish. Eating all our creations on the roof top terrace afterwards was fantastic.

I am a vegetarian and Mehmet was very helpful in making sure that I had meat-free options available. I am now looking forward to making this food at home!

Switzerland
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

The cooking class at the Sarnic hotel was well worth the 60EUROS.
The hotel itself is in a great location and close to the major tourist attractions / other hotels. The view from their terrace (where you will enjoy eating the fruits of your labours) is amazing. Mehmet and his team are very friendly, reliable and professional. The kitchens and hygiene standards are excellent. We made 5 different delicious dishes typically Turkish. Due to time restrictions, you don't make one dish at a time. Many pots are on the go at the same time, so if you want to recreate the dishes at home, make sure you stay on top of which step of which dish is being shown so you can take proper notes and don't get confused. The printed recipes are not exactly the same as in the class - a few extra spices and herbs and techniques here and there, so take notes. Was home only 3 days and already recreated one of the dishes. Turned out great and my husband loved it! Thanks Mehmet! If you like Turkish food, eating and a day away from the typical tourist sites, this is for you!

Madison, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was a great cooking class, very informative and the instructor and staff were great. The food we made was amazing and we got the recipes for everything we made.
I would highly recommend this cooking school, well worth the money.

1 Thank tamara s
Oradea, Romania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Lots of fun, and delicious food! Getting ready to make Turkish at home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Turkish cooking class at the Sarnic hotel was a great experience. Our day had slightly more people than usual but it was still well worth it. There is nothing like learning a bit about a country through its food, working with friends and coming away with a (potential) skill set!

The class itself was very well run, and allowed everyone to get their hands dirty in preparing a communal meal. The food turned out very well, and the final meal was an excellent and informative social occasion.

One improvement that could be made is to allow guests to keep the Sarnic Hotel cooking apron for free. Though the cost wasn't overly expensive to buy it, no one did on our day - as we'd already paid a fair amount of money to attend the class to begin with. It would have made an excellent momento! Something to think about for the future...

Regardles, this was a great time!

Visited July 2011