“Good value style”

Ranked #49 of 1,060 Istanbul B&B and Inns
London
“Good value style”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

A friend and I stayed at I'zaz for 3 nights and both of us were incredibly happy. The rooms are spotless, stylish, comfortable and have everything you could need; ipod docks, amazing shower, AC, comfortable beds and extra glazing to shut out the noise of bustling Beyoglu!

The roof terrace is covered but lovely and given the changeable weather, a good option. We chose an apartment over a hotel as there's so much to see (and eat!) in Istanbul so I'zaz facilities and location couldn't be better and Elif, the lady who runs the apartments, was incredibly helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed in the ground floor loft. It was fine for one person, though for two it might be a bit tight. The management was very clear in all their communications in what you get at I'zaz: it's not a full-service hotel, but rather more like you're staying at a very stylish friend's apartment while he's out of town. His maid still comes over, but you're pretty much on your own. If you don't need much hand holding, this would be a great choice.

The location couldn't be beat. Down an alley through the outdoor fish market running off from Istiklal Caddesi, and then down another narrow alley. Halfway between Tunel and Taksim. Lots of restaurants, cafes, etc. Some of the best fish restaurants in that part of town are only a block toward Istiklal Cad. on Nevizade Sokak. Once you're there it's easy to get around, though you will have to walk a bit to the subway station. I always felt very safe as the streets are packed with people at all hours.

I have to say they need to provide a better map for getting there in the beginning. The cab driver I took from Sultanahmet was a bit lost. He got close, dropped me off and I had to walk out to Istiklal to follow the directions the loft provided. After that it was a breeze. If you're coming by public transport, just walk down from Taksim and the loft directions will be easy.

I did breakfast on my own as there are plenty of places on Istiklal, including Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, etc. Never used the kitchen on the top floor, though it looked like a nice place to relax. I did use the airport transport. It was probably a little more than a cab, but not much and it was much easier.

Negatives: If you're on the entrance floor, you will hear the click-clack of the front door lock as people enter or leave. I never really had a problem with street noise, but the door did wake me up occasionally. The only other thing I can think of is the stairs to the upper levels are steep and spiral. If you've had a bit of a night on the town, it could be tricky. I would choose a lower level rather than higher just to avoid the stairs.

Great bed, wonderful water pressure, stylish modern feel, satellite TV, DVD player, iPod radio, remote AC, etc. for a price that really is hard to find at this level of quality.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank IncurableTraveler
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 22, 2009

we loved the place. great design. great owner. great manager. great service.
helped us with tips & reservations at some of the best restaurants in town.

location is great. get the 3rd floor if you can.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Very friendly and kind employees
Charming
Clean
sometimes noisy due to a small bar across the hotel but ear plugs were available :)
Great view at terrasse

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Belgium
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Trendy loft-hotel in a traditional Turkish area with a lot of restaurants in the neighborhood

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I booked I'zaz in part on the strength of reviews listed here and also because the rooms are strictly non-smoking - which was very important to us. But the air was not so clear....

The rooms are beautifully designed and decorated - European and modern. We stayed on the first floor (it was all that was available) and it was a bit too small for my husband and I. Granted, he is 2 meters (6'4") tall. I can't blame I'zaz for that - I did know that the rooms were small.

What was bothersome was the smoking. The policy is to allow smoking on the roof terrace - a covered roof area which opens to a spiral staircase that runs through the whole building. From the night we arrived until the morning we checked out - we had strong cigarette smoke to contend with. I complained and the staff said they would have the building aired and try to make sure no one was smoking in their room - but it didn't help. At one point it was so strong that it gave me a headache. I don't know why it was so smoky - but it was a disappointment.

Also, the location is quite far from the sites - if this is your first time in Istanbul I would recommend staying in the Sultanhamet area and coming over to Beyoglu to see the sites. I'zaz Lofts is located on a little side street near many restaurants - some are traditional goat head specialties - which was a bit gruesome. But it is close to lots of restaurants and bars. We didn't have a problem with the noise as some other reviewers mentioned.

I have given it 3 stars for service because it is not a "full-service" place, but it is not advertised as such. Rooms got 3 stars because ours was smoky and quite small (I live in Tokyo - so I am used to small, but this was too tiny for two!). Location was not as great as I had hoped, so 3 stars for that. It was faithfully cleaned every day - and so 4 stars for Cleanliness - but the smoke takes a star away from 5 stars. And Value they get a 3 star because it was not what I had expected. Understand that Turkey is a smoking country and you will contend with it everywhere - but I had sincerely hoped that I could escape to my non-smoking room.

The owner contacted me to discuss my problems and was very responsive - I think that I'zaz would be a nice place to stay if they could truly solve this smoke problem. And if you don't mind being far away from all the historic sites.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tokyolane
izazlfts, owner at I'zaz Lofts, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Hello,

We are sorry to hear that your stay at i'zaz was not up to your expectations. This was quite surprising for us, since none of our guests have ever complained about smoke or our location before. As can be seen in previous reviews, i'zaz is very popular with its location which has been rated unbeatable by many of our guests.

The Sultanahmet and Beyoglu areas offer very different experiences to their visitors; whether a guest likes them or not depends on their expectations. Sultanahmet is an area that does not have much to offer at night because of the historical sites and mosques in the area. On the other hand, i'zaz is located in the heart of Beyoglu, the SoHo of Istanbul, one of the most colorful urban neighborhoods, with consulates, art galleries, theaters, clubs and restaurants (which some rated the best in Europe) in a short walk. Guests who prefer to stay in Beyoglu can check the historical sites of Sultanahmet during the day time and go out to enjoy the Istanbul night life where they do not have to take a cab back to their hotels, instead just walk for 5 minutes.

Again Sultanahmet is an area that is predominantly filled with tourists so everything is dressed up nicely. Our street and neighborhood in Beyoglu is an authentic slice of Istanbul life, not just a row of hotels; and the vast majority of our guests seek this authentic experience. There are barbers, restaurants, vegetable stands, residences, and butchers on our street. As gruesome as it looked, the stand you mentioned with the goat meat, has been written up by many of the national newspapers as serving the some of the best head meat in the city for the last 15 years; this happens to be a very popular and traditional dish within Turkey.

The room you stayed in is our smallest loft in the whole building and as you mentioned, that was the only one available and is priced accordingly. All of our other lofts are 35 square meters (375 sqft.) which is more than what is offered in most regular hotel rooms in Istanbul. And we are a little bit surprised that we received a 3 star rating for not being a "full-service" place because we clearly advertise that we are not and we do not want to be; that is not the concept of i'zaz. Additionally, we email all our guests regarding the size of the lofts, what is in the lofts and the services we provide, whether included or not included in the price, before they finalize their booking.

At i'zaz we welcome a variety of guests of different backgrounds from all over the world. Some of our guests smoke, some don't. As a way to accommodate everyone fairly we allow smoking on our rooftop open air terrace (5th floor), but no where else. Since you were staying at the first floor and air naturally flows up, we don't think you were getting to smoke smell from the terrace, but maybe from the street via the main door every time somebody walked in.
Unfortunately we cannot stop people from smoking on the street. To be able to be fair to all our guests, we tried to find a median solution and our other guests, even the ones was looking for a strictly non-smoking place, seemed very happy with it.

We really value and appreciate your feedback; definitely have taken your comments sincerely and will pay more attention to the subject from now on.
Thanks for your sincerity.
AMSTERDAM
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We decided to stay at I'zaz on a friend's recommendation and haven't regretted doing so. It was so stylishly decorated, that a few mornings it was kind of difficult to leave the roof and the smell of the coffee and their home-made pastries(can't remember the name now but sure can remember the taste). We also found the location very convenient to come back and leave stuff and change and relax before having a nice dinner in one of the thousand nice choices in the area, at walking distances to the lofts. We also liked the feeling that you are attended to but at the same time it's like your own house with respectful privacy. It was a little noisy but that was within our expectations since staying in such a lively spot of a city in any country has the same risk and and we thought it to be a natural part of our Istanbul adventure. We recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple